Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

2013 G37 IPL OEM Brakepads/Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:29 AM
Chesty5135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G37 IPL OEM Brakepads/Rotors

The brakepads and rotors that my local mechanic on weren't OEM even though he lied and said they are. Rusted fully in a week (rotors), and the pads after several months still squeak (mostly when reversing out of driveway).

What are the OEM parts for my model so I can order them and bring them to a dealership/reputable shop myself? Couldn't find it in the manual.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:07 PM
mvx
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I would use RockAuto if I were you. When I changed out my pads and rotors, I used RockAuto and got some quality parts. Look under the "premium" or "performance" tabs and see which pad/rotor set is best for you. Be sure to check that it is for your IPL model.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+pad+kit,13824
Old 09-26-2018, 01:43 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesty5135
The brakepads and rotors that my local mechanic on weren't OEM even though he lied and said they are. Rusted fully in a week (rotors), and the pads after several months still squeak (mostly when reversing out of driveway).

What are the OEM parts for my model so I can order them and bring them to a dealership/reputable shop myself? Couldn't find it in the manual.
Brakes and rotors are consumables. The actual OEM may be any of a number of aftermarket supplier.

Most mechanics usually refer to "OEM quality" as the suppliers are pretty generic for "economy" and "oem quality". Its usually only at the "premium" or "performance" level that you see really different characteristics (along with a massive price bump) and its not uncommon for one manufacturer to make options in all those categories.

that being said you referred to rust on the rotors. unless it has a coating on the hat all steel rotors rust. Most people just spray a clear coat or some colored paint on there. if you you don't want to do that just look for options that specify a coating of some sort...as a heads up even "OEM quality" rotors with coatings may show signs of rust. It in no way affects performance. its strictly cosmetic. Some higher quality rotors will rust in a matter of hours if the car is sitting in the rain because of the high carbon content in the steel which promptly disapears when you drive the car.

the only place to get "OEM" (i.e. Nissan branded) v(vs. "OEM quality") is the dealership.

the squeaking can usually be remedied by proper bedding in which may have to be redone occasionally depending on your driving habits but may be affected by the type of OEM quality pad used, go for a ceramic pad if you want quieter pads (this will likely be at the expense of aggressiveness).
Old 09-26-2018, 03:03 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
The Akebonos are prone to squealing for a short time when cold. Two or three stops will kill the squeal until the next morning.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Chesty5135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a great explanation and all but that doesn't explain how the "OEM" rotors (the one that came with the vehicle) never showed a single sign of rust after 48k miles. After a week or so, these "OEM Quality" rotors are FULLY rusted/brown.

So let me reformat my question.

How do I identify which rotors came with the vehicle and where can I buy them? Same with pads, as the Akebono squeak is very annoying.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:39 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Check this site, and part #1 is the rotor, be sure to order a right and left and be sure it's for sport pkg
Front
https://www.discountinfinitiparts.co...--front-brakes
Rear, you would need to call them, they don't list a rear rotor available for the sport pkg.
https://www.discountinfinitiparts.co...s--rear-brakes
Old 09-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesty5135
That's a great explanation and all but that doesn't explain how the "OEM" rotors (the one that came with the vehicle) never showed a single sign of rust after 48k miles.
Its the coating on the hub hat...if you are going aftermarket (orgiven the option otherwise), look for ones anyones that specify a coating...pads, something ceramic will be quieter/more tolerant to improper bedding..

Originally Posted by blnewt
Check this site, and part #1 is the rotor, be sure to order a right and left and be sure it's for sport pkg
Front
https://www.discountinfinitiparts.co...--front-brakes
Rear, you would need to call them, they don't list a rear rotor available for the sport pkg.
https://www.discountinfinitiparts.co...s--rear-brakes
Yes order from these guys or somewhere like infinitipartsdeal.com ...all these sites are the online stores for local dealerships....look at the "about us" or "contact us" pages one of them as they may be local to you and you may save some money by being able to just go pick them up form the dealership, especially with the rotors which are quite heavy and can be expensive to ship...your local dealership can look up your exact part numbers when you go in too if its easier for you...

good luck!