Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Non-Sport Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:54 AM
G-thirty7X

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Non-Sport Brake Pads

Going to be replacing pads soon on my G37X. Non-sport brakes, unfortunately.

Ideally I'd like something with more cold bite in comparison to stock. I'd stick with the stock Akebono pads but I find I get rotor deposits quickly and it causes vibrations that mimic warping.

My first choice would be Ferrodo DS2500, although they don't make a pad for non-sport front. I ran these pads on my Audis and they were very impressive. Linear .5 friction from cold to hot.

Second choice would be Hawk HPS 5.0. Again, no front fitment for non-sport calipers. I also have experience with the HPS pads (wasn't impressed) and was looking forward to trying the new 5.0 compound. Oh well..

EBC red or yellow have pads the fit front and rear.

I have experience with the Red Stuff pads on my older Audis and didn't mind them. (Still nowhere near as good as Ferrodo) Ceramic/Kevlar blend and a nominal .5 coefficient of friction. Yellow have a higher cold bite but might be a bit tough on the rotors. Curious how these will do on the g37.

Stoptech Street - good reviews, can't find any information about friction levels.

PowerStop Z23 / Z26 - good reviews, can't find any information about friction levels. Z26 appears to have different backing plate in comparison to Z23. Friction material is the same.

I'm leaning towards EBC red or yellow. If I can't talk myself into trying them, I'm just going to have to deal with the stock akebono.

Help?
Old 03-17-2016, 06:52 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I personally liked the ebc reds on my stock x brakes for everyday use. but I tried running that on a trackday once and they disintegrated. I have only tried the yellows on the akebono calipers on the x. much more aggressive bite...feel like less dust than the reds. both red and yellow were silent.(bed your brakes ppl) I did have two mornings this winter (cold a** Canadian winter)where the yellows basically did nothing for the first few seconds, so they take a tiny bit more to warm up, but worth the trade off imo. i have found both gentleish on rotors...even with tracking...depends on your uses I guess, and expectations.