Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Question: Michelin Pilot A/S 3 vs Pilot Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Question: Michelin Pilot A/S 3 vs Pilot Super Sport

I've noticed that many on the forum run Michelin Pilot A/S 3's and a lot run the Pilot Super Sports. I'm fairly knowledgable on tires (did a 3 year stint in a tire shop in college) but neither of these models were out back then.

I'm curious as what factored into your decision to chose one or the other. I know the basic differences such as all-season vs summer tire. For those of you that have run both, do you notice a handling advantage with the Super Sports over the A/S 3's?

I chose the A/S 3's for their long tread life, and well, because Michelin.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I've used both. The PSS are better performers. The AS3 wear longer and are better in colder temps.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (05-13-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Both are excellent performers, just depends on what the needs are. I went with the A/S-3 as I wanted longer life and cold weather ability w/out sacrificing too much performance.
twin_snails (05-13-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Racindaddy

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I have A/S 3's now. I had SS before these. If cold temperatures are not a concern I would go with the SS. They have better turn in and feel. However, they don't last as long as the A/S 's. Also the SS are about 3 lbs lighter each.
twin_snails (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 03:00 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I had the Pilot Sport tires on my first G35 coupe. Absolutely loved them but treadwear left a lot to be desired and I was going through rears every 10-12 months.

Tried Nitto NT-555's on the rear and they were terrible. The rear end felt squirrely at highway speeds so I went back and opted for Michelin's. Problem solved.

I then found the A/S version and have been running those ever since. I love the A/S 3's but don't think the tread design is as nice. It doesn't look like a "sport" tire like the A/S Plus did.

I will say that wet traction with the A/S 3's is exceptional. I can't get the rear to break loose when I'm taking an aggressive turn. They definitely instill confidence and safety in wet weather. I'm a fan! I'm tempted to try the PSS when I go back to 19" or 20" wheels.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 PM
Neomist
Patawan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went with the A/S 3 and really happy with them. Your choice my depend if you are running a staggered set. If thats the the case i would go with A/S 3, just my opinion though. Both are great tires.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:22 PM
rhdh104

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have A/S 3's on my G37 Coupe.... Love them. Night and Day difference from the stock overpriced Dunlop oem tires.

My previous car, a G35 Coupe I had Michelin A/S plus....nicer thread design but,the A/S 3's are a better tire.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:31 PM
terpdx
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my G37 used and it came with Super Sports. They were amazing in warm weather but, as soon as winter hit, they turned into hockey pucks below 40 degrees - and you can forget about going anywhere near snow.

As they were near end-of-life, anyhow, I replaced them with A/S 3's and haven't had any complaints about them whatsoever. Very quiet tire, nice ride, plenty of grip for mildly aggressive street driving, and better tread life than the Super Sports.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're not running autocross or track events, and you live anywhere that gets cold weather, there's no reason you would need to go with the Super Sports over the A/S 3's.
twin_snails (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 02:16 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Neomist
I went with the A/S 3 and really happy with them. Your choice my depend if you are running a staggered set. If thats the the case i would go with A/S 3, just my opinion though. Both are great tires.
Hi Neo, just out of curiosity, why the A/S 3 over the PSS for a staggered setup?
Old 05-30-2014, 02:17 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I've used both. The PSS are better performers. The AS3 wear longer and are better in colder temps.
BB, would you say that the PSS have a more sporty ride compliance than the A/S 3's?
Old 05-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
BB, would you say that the PSS have a more sporty ride compliance than the A/S 3's?
Yes. Less comfortable. The sidewalls are not soft. Not quite as bad as run flats though. Requires more steering input (correction) during regular driving because the traction will make the fronts more susceptible to follow variations in the road surface. You'll feel surface irregularities more than on a grand touring or all season tire. Comfort isn't horrible, but you know these are not built for a great ride, but the ride is far better than I expected for a tire this competent in the handling department. The AS/3 is more comfortable though.

But cornering grip into, through, and exiting the corner makes this heavy pig feel like a Miata on rails. Extremely predictable grip characteristics all the way up to the point of breaking traction if you are very familiar with your car's abilities and limits. No surprises. You have to be careful because they don't squeal or squirm no matter how much steering input you give through the corner. They hold until they can't any more and then the rear will step out, but predictably.

If you care most about all out dry performance and value or comfort aren't as important factors, the PSS is your choice hands down. How much you value the extra comfort, rain performance, all season ability, and tread life will determine whether the handling compromise is worth it to get the AS/3. Honestly the reason I didn't get the PSS again is that when I needed them they were on national backorder. This seems to happen with them far too often in my opinion. I don't know what the problem is, but this made the 3rd time that 275 (or 285)/30/20 couldn't be found so I said screw it and changed to something they actually seem to make enough of, the AS/3.
twin_snails (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 03:28 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Thank you for the input on the PSS! As always, a very thorough and well articulated review. It's definitely helpful as I'm considering them when I put my larger wheels back on.

The PSS sound very similar to my 2004 G35, it came with Pilot Sports (not super sports but had 220 tread wear I believe). With those, I was only able to get 18k miles out of the rears max. Then I found the A/S version of that tire and found it to be very similar in regard to handling characteristics, but with longer wear.

I'm not opposed to the stiffer ride compliance and more translation of road irregularities because I really love having a tire that makes the car feel like it's on rails.

I've been quite pleased with the A/S 3's on my stock 18's, but they're definitely softer than the A/S Plus's that I had on my 19's so I've got the itch to get that handling back.