Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

How to read infiniti vehicle inspection report for brake and tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 AM
G37ity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to read infiniti vehicle inspection report for brake and tire?

Hey everyone, just got my car back from the dealership for the 30k schedule 1 maintenance. On the brake and tire part they wrote down a bunch of numbers but didn't check the green or red box. Hopefully someone can tell me help me interpret the numbers.

I bought the car used with 36k miles.

Brake Lining - (Left to right, front to rear) 7mm,7mm,6mm,6mm
Tire Tread - (Left to right, front to rear 32nds) 8,5,5,4
Wear Pattern - N/A

Are these good? Bad? My brakes seem to squeek when I press on them when I first turn the car on after not driving it for a few hours.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:15 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
For the brake pads, you have plenty of pad left. Many Nissan Infiniti brakes make some squeak or squeal. If it only does it right after you first drive, that's normal. It's the thin coating of rust that forms on the rotors wearing off during your first few applications of the brakes. New pads have around 11mm or so of friction material. When you get down to about 2mm there's an audible indicator that squeaks every time you apply the brakes.

As far as tire wear, most new tires for out car have 10 or 11/32 of tread depth. Typically on RWD cars, the rear tires wear down quicker than the fronts. 3 or 4/32 left is when tires need to be replaced. 2/32 is considered "bald" and won't pass a state safe inspection. Right and left wear are not always exactly even on the same axle but they should be close. The 5,4 in the rear isn't bothersome but recheck the fronts. 8,5 is a little odd. Perhaps they didn't measure accurately or in the same area of each tire. Buy a tread depth gauge for a few $ and check them yourself or have any tire shop do it for free. If there is that much difference side to side on the front, your alignment is probably off.
The following 2 users liked this post by Black Betty:
buns (08-02-2013), G37ity (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 06:00 PM
G37ity

Wow, what an informative post. This is why I like this forum. Everyone acts so mature and helps with really informative posts for noobies like me. Thanks Black Betty. And you hit the brake squeeking right on the head, it only happens when I first drive the car.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I would not trust everything on that report. My tires grew tread from one inspection to the next!
Old 08-01-2013, 01:44 AM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ my brakes grew one time too. I usually joke around with the service advisor about it, my tires have grown once before as well.

The brakes are usually a visual inspection unless they actually remove the wheels, my dealer recommended rear brakes on my car saying I had 2mm left when I went there for my 30k. I pulled the wheel and measured my pads myself which came out to 4mm.

With that said, I'll probably end up doing brakes soon.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:43 PM
G37ity

Originally Posted by hobbs
I would not trust everything on that report. My tires grew tread from one inspection to the next!
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
^ my brakes grew one time too. I usually joke around with the service advisor about it, my tires have grown once before as well.

The brakes are usually a visual inspection unless they actually remove the wheels, my dealer recommended rear brakes on my car saying I had 2mm left when I went there for my 30k. I pulled the wheel and measured my pads myself which came out to 4mm.

With that said, I'll probably end up doing brakes soon.
Yeah, I have a feeling my dealership is trying to screw me in any way possible for some extra money. After they called me to tell me my car is ready, they said my car needs a transmission fluid flash, brake fluid flush, and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember.

Am I supposed to get all that done with 37k miles on the car?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:58 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Brake fluid is a good idea. The other stuff is not necessary according to the manual. Some people do it earlier to know it has been done but it is not required.

Short answer, yes the dealer is trying to make some business for themselves.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by G37ity
Yeah, I have a feeling my dealership is trying to screw me in any way possible for some extra money. After they called me to tell me my car is ready, they said my car needs a transmission fluid flash, brake fluid flush, and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember.

Am I supposed to get all that done with 37k miles on the car?
All depends, 7AT is supposed to be "maintenance" free, but we all know every fluid has an interval. So my personal preference will be to wait until I hit 60k and do the tranny, coolant, diff, brake fluid, power steering, etc.

Brake fluid should be done every 2 years or 30k which I have done on every car I've owned. Infiniti and Nissan now recommend every 12 months or 15k miles on 2011 and newer cars which IMO seem excessive, especially considering they don't have an interval for the 7AT, but yet want you to change your brake fluid once a year.

Like any business their main reason for being open is to turn a profit.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 PM
G37ity

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
All depends, 7AT is supposed to be "maintenance" free, but we all know every fluid has an interval. So my personal preference will be to wait until I hit 60k and do the tranny, coolant, diff, brake fluid, power steering, etc.

Brake fluid should be done every 2 years or 30k which I have done on every car I've owned. Infiniti and Nissan now recommend every 12 months or 15k miles on 2011 and newer cars which IMO seem excessive, especially considering they don't have an interval for the 7AT, but yet want you to change your brake fluid once a year.

Like any business their main reason for being open is to turn a profit.
Ah ok. I suppose I will go back and get the brake fluid done. Thanks