Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Bent suspension? Rear wheel sitting too far out, toe in issue !

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:07 AM
aznTUrDmAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bent suspension? Rear wheel sitting too far out, toe in issue !

Hey guys, i have tried the search button, didnt really find anything related so here we go,

i have a 2009 g37s coupe 6mt, Stock suspension, no modifications.

i noticed that my rear right tire sits about 0.75-1 inch further out as compared to the left (looks like i have a wheel spacer on but i dont). there is an excessive amount of inside wear on that tire so it tells me there is a toe in issue. then i checked the wheel gap and the entire wheel sits further towards the back of the bumper (0.25-0.50 inches) as compared to the left (as if the caster of the wheel moved).

i have factory warranty till sep 30 2013, i brought it to the dealership (legacy infiniti of long island NY) and even though i pointed all that out and showed them that anyone with a set of eyes can see that there is something abnormal about that, the dealership said "there is nothing wrong with your car, everything measures perfectly." to my knowledge you have to drop the rear sub frame to even check the suspension and if a spring bucket, spindle or a control arm is slightly bent, you cant see that with your bare eye, but im sure they didnt do anything except pick it up on the lift and look at it and called it a day.

long story short, what can i do about this? i am going to try a more reputable dealership that arent full of idiot techs which ignore the obvious. what can be bent that causes the wheel to have a castor effect towards the back of the car ? what can cause the toe in issue ? any advice would help. vehicle only has 41k miles on it and no i didnt hit anything, i checked pictures of the car from day one and it was like this when i purchased it.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:02 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
I presume the car was pre-owned when you bought it? If so, was it wrecked at one point? If the whole unibody got shifted, you could see such an issue where the suspension components look fine. Hoping it wasn't wrecked and had a shoddy repair job. Do you have any pics that you can post?
Old 07-27-2013, 05:01 AM
BLAIR'N G372012

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
If purchased used do a Carfax...
If they fixed it under radar then it wont show on the carfax if it was wrecked or fixed...
If purchased new or used call Infiniti USA CS... they will note it and get it handled correctly ...
lastly pay a lil and get it aligned ... aside from Infiniti a good shop will tell you if any damage was there... yet too will show how much Camber yet toe difference there is R vs L...

Good luck
Old 07-27-2013, 08:34 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by aznTUrDmAN
there is an excessive amount of inside wear on that tire so it tells me there is a toe in issue.
this is a result of negative camber wear.
toe wear is characterized by feathering, cupping, and/or accelerated wear in tires.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:38 AM
aznTUrDmAN

Originally Posted by twin_snails
I presume the car was pre-owned when you bought it? If so, was it wrecked at one point? If the whole unibody got shifted, you could see such an issue where the suspension components look fine. Hoping it wasn't wrecked and had a shoddy repair job. Do you have any pics that you can post?
Yes it was supposedly a "certified pre own".. that's the thing I did the magnet test and everything seemed to be in order, anyway a more reputable dealership would be able to tell / and let's just say it wasn't in a wreck, what might possibly be bent that causes this ?

Originally Posted by BLAIR'N G372012
If purchased used do a Carfax...
If they fixed it under radar then it wont show on the carfax if it was wrecked or fixed...
If purchased new or used call Infiniti USA CS... they will note it and get it handled correctly ...
lastly pay a lil and get it aligned ... aside from Infiniti a good shop will tell you if any damage was there... yet too will show how much Camber yet toe difference there is R vs L...

Good luck
I was in Tennessee, I had the car aligned tuesday right before I left to come back to nyc so I am positive something is bent. I called infinitiusa and I am waiting for a response, let's say somehow the vehicle was hit and something is bent, would I be able to file a.claim or get Infiniti to take the car back since I bought a certified non crashed vehicle and it turns out to be crashed ?

Originally Posted by jujubii
this is a result of negative camber wear.
toe wear is characterized by feathering, cupping, and/or accelerated wear in tires.
I assumed it wad a toe in issue since you could clearly see the toe in. I'll try to upload pics

Honestly..not to be harsh but the techs are idiots. I had to personally tell a tech how to fix my tpms problem the first time, I need to know possible things that can be bent in the case that it was not in an accident this way I can bring it to the attention of the tech since he is oblivious and beyond useless.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:48 AM
aznTUrDmAN

Name:  IMAG1729_zps047deecd.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  94.6 KB
Name:  IMAG1728_zps7697c00a.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  90.5 KB
Name:  IMAG1727_zps9122a371.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  79.9 KB
Name:  IMAG1726_zpscbb62eda.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  68.0 KB
Old 07-29-2013, 06:55 AM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Thats toe in my friend. Check your toe bolt since you recently had an alignment done
Old 07-30-2013, 12:49 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Sunny G
Thats toe in my friend. Check your toe bolt since you recently had an alignment done
lolwut?

if anything the picture shows camber. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM
BLAIR'N G372012

lolwut?

if anything the picture shows camber. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4
Whaaaaat... thats Camber \ not Toe LOL.. thanks for the pics yo see OP... toes are in or outward tires on independent suspension like ours... camber arms bent... kit needed but be cautious... putting a kit in some will push the wheel out and will need to run Neg more...
Took mine out and running fine without a kit but just a toe bolt...
Old 07-30-2013, 05:38 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Originally Posted by BLAIR'N G372012
Whaaaaat... thats Camber \ not Toe LOL.. thanks for the pics yo see OP... toes are in or outward tires on independent suspension like ours... camber arms bent... kit needed but be cautious... putting a kit in some will push the wheel out and will need to run Neg more...
Took mine out and running fine without a kit but just a toe bolt...
not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. i'm saying it's a camber issue

if you're using ascii pictures:
\ is negative camber if you look at the tires from behind the car
\ is toe in if you look at the tires from bird eye view

Last edited by jujubii; 07-30-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 PM
aznTUrDmAN

I took it to a diff Infiniti dealership they said they got it a little straighter but they can't fix the caster issue and they are still checking to see what is causing that caster problem. Something is bent and the dealership said there is no signs of the body being bent so that's good. But what else.can be bent that causes the wheel to caster towards the back bumper. It's closer to the back then it is on the driver side. Look at the mud flaps in the first 2 pics. U can tell the difference in distance that its sitting.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by aznTUrDmAN
I took it to a diff Infiniti dealership they said they got it a little straighter but they can't fix the caster issue and they are still checking to see what is causing that caster problem. Something is bent and the dealership said there is no signs of the body being bent so that's good. But what else.can be bent that causes the wheel to caster towards the back bumper. It's closer to the back then it is on the driver side. Look at the mud flaps in the first 2 pics. U can tell the difference in distance that its sitting.
Could be a tweaked lower control arm (AKA spring bucket).
Old 07-31-2013, 01:40 AM
BLAIR'N G372012

not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. i'm saying it's a camber issue

if you're using ascii pictures:
\ is negative camber if you look at the tires from behind the car
\ is toe in if you look at the tires from bird eye view
Yes Juju I'm agreeing with you...camber is real easy to see by the eye... Toe pitch is harder to see unless its way WAY off ... the angle of his tire in the pic is camber \ line illustrates the way his tire looks to me in the pic... some camber can go / where the tire is out in top pitches inward ... his does what most do running neg not pos... --- that would be his tire toe would be a angle which he would feel a pull left or right... pending if he had a toe issue ...
Old 07-31-2013, 01:45 AM
BLAIR'N G372012

Originally Posted by blnewt

Good Call ... I still have my Spring Bucket though I dont ise it... being on true coilovers eliminates that bucket... but I'd rather leave it for me just due to lease and when time comes less parts to switch out...lol

Wonder if that bucket has a crack or bend... they'd have to remove it to see... I've heard in the forums of one G hitting a pot hole smashing that bucket...

Good call blnewt...
Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 AM
aznTUrDmAN

Originally Posted by blnewt
I honestly think it might be the spring bucket, but what else can be the issue ? Sorry to dbad mouth a dealership but the guys at legacy are nasty. I told them today that Manhattan found an issue with it and upon looking at it they knew there was an issue. the answer I got from the manager was "well they didn't tell u what the issue is, my guys looked at everything and they couldn't find an issue" ...I'm sorry but that is not the proper way to handle things especially since they sold me the vehicle like this and their techs didn't know how to diagnose and fix a simple tpms sensor.

Hence is why I need different opinions on what might be bent. this way I can have the techs pay specific attention to it. These dealerships are freaking ridiculous. My car has been in the shop since last wend. And today I been told that this isn't covered in the warranty.

I'll post updates on what's going on.