Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Problem with Frnt Brakes&Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:59 AM
fastlane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with Frnt Brakes&Rotors

This is FastLane: I need help, I have a G37coupe2008. My car is not two years old, I've replaced the front rotors&brakes twice, thats an avg. of every ten months. I think all G37 models should have slotted rotors to dispense the heat, the Dealer&Pres. of Infiniti for this Region tells me this is normal. Is anyone having this problem, if so lets Band together for Resolution.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I say user error.

Slotted rotors are not for improved cooling.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:48 AM
Hali's_G37S

I too have a 2008 Infiniti G37S. My vehicle only has 17000kms (Canadian model) and my front brakes warped. I had the dealership check it out and seeing as brakes are not a warrantied item they suggested that I must have had them very hot at one point to cause them to warp. Although I drive my car hard at times I have never emergency braked or tracked the car and can not see how this would have been possible. I purchased the S for the brakes as well as the other options and find it hard to believe that we should have to be replacing rotors this quickly. I had a local mechanic turn down the rotors and that seems to have fixed the problem so far. The rotors are over 30lbs a piece I would think they could withstand somewhat sporty driving at times. Does anyone know of any rotors that are good enough to withstand track use as I refuse to pay Infiniti original equipment prices for rotors that will probably only do the same thing again! Thanks and sorry for the rant lol
Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you wash your car when the brakes are hot? Just asking because spraying cold water on hot brakes can cause them to warp.

Replacing rotors every 10 months is not normal.

Last edited by Gyoza; 06-14-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Warping is caused by uneven cooling.

There are plenty of G/Z owners here in Cali that track their cars with nary a problem; many of them are using semi-race/race pads and their rotors will easily see 1xxx degree temperatures.

What kind of driving are you doing? These guys generally have no problems, but also take care to do a cooldown.

Most "warping" (vibration when braking) is not actually the rotor warping, but uneven pad deposits on the rotor. The uneven deposits are removed when the rotors are turned.

Are you all using the stock pads?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:30 PM
IRVG37

yes, same problem here. '08 g37 coupe journey. 15K miles so far.
1. brake pad replacement 1 and rotor turning due to warping: 6000 miles
2. brake pad replacement 2, brake kit replacement, and rotor turning due to warping: 15K miles.

to those who accuse us of "user error" and other uniformed comments - gfys. there's actually a service bulletin issued to the dealers, so if you've got <15K-ish miles, get ur brake pads, brake kit replaced + turn the rotors to eliminate the warping problem.

the stock brake system is very very fragile, i think. never experienced such fragile brake system. supposedly the new "fix" will resolve the brake pad scoring and rotor warping issue.

wish i had got the s package to avoid this hassle.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
What do you mean by "brake kit"?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:22 PM
marcelo19lp
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had that done today.

Customer States a pulsation when braking. Excessive front rotor runout. 2mm. Brake pads are 9mm. Resurfaced front rotors. Replaced splash shields per ITB.

Misc Brakes-M0001

Parts

Plate Baffle 41151-JL30A ASR quantity 1
Plate Baffle 41161-JL30A ASR quantity 1

In the end, it works great now, my car only has 11,500 miles, he said you must brake a lot, or drive aggresive, or wash your car when your brakes are hot etc.. I said I cant buy those stories with the mileage I have, and that was the end, they took care of the rest. So no need brake pads, or new rotors.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:22 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you have an extra set of rotors, you can send them here for turning, slotting, dimpled or drilled. I've been running on them for over 2 years, no issues or squeaking.

SCRAPER SLOTS:
Full Sweep Scraper Slots dissipate heat, increases bite and reduces the stopping distance. Our slots also help to de-glaze and even out brake pads while throwing dust and debris away from the wheels. It also sheds water under-wet driving conditions.

BALANCED & VENTED:
All Brake Performance Rotors are Machine Balanced, Vented for cooling (unless OEM rotors were solid from the factory), X-Ray Inspected and manufactured to meet QS and ISO quality system standards. Manufactured from Premium Quality Solid Casting, TUV approved steel.

RUST PREVENTION:
Our Performance Rotors have a corrosion protection finish that is electrostatically applied onto the rotors in chemical tanks (not sprayed on like inferior powder coating). Our premium quality Zinc Plating remains on all areas including inside slots and holes that do not come into contact with the brake pads. Available in Silver or Black.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 06-18-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Sounds like you have an extra set of rotors, you can send them here for turning, slotting, dimpled or drilled. I've been running on them for over 2 years, no issues or squeaking.

SCRAPER SLOTS:
Full Sweep Scraper Slots dissipate heat, increases bite and reduces the stopping distance. Our slots also help to de-glaze and even out brake pads while throwing dust and debris away from the wheels. It also sheds water under-wet driving conditions.

BALANCED & VENTED:
All Brake Performance Rotors are Machine Balanced, Vented for cooling (unless OEM rotors were solid from the factory), X-Ray Inspected and manufactured to meet QS and ISO quality system standards. Manufactured from Premium Quality Solid Casting, TUV approved steel.

RUST PREVENTION:
Our Performance Rotors have a corrosion protection finish that is electrostatically applied onto the rotors in chemical tanks (not sprayed on like inferior powder coating). Our premium quality Zinc Plating remains on all areas including inside slots and holes that do not come into contact with the brake pads. Available in Silver or Black.

I've bought brakes from these guys before and I can truly say they're the best. Great performance for the price, and their anti rust treatments are really top notch as well.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:20 AM
joo030879
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope this helps, we went through hell with brakes

My friend was going through the same problem. As with each brake pad change his brakes were getting worse. He tried everything possible to make his brakes work better. At worse point, he needed to double pump in order for the brakes to work. At first pump no pressure is applied, only on the second brake pump he could stop the car.

1. Changed to hawk racing pads with brembo. Only made lot of noise, and no improvement to his braking.

2. Changed all four brake lines to Goodwrench Stainless Steel brake lines. No major improvement either.

3. Changed all four rotors to Stoptech Drilled and Slotted ones. No improvement either.

4. We literally bled the brakes on my friends G37S to death. At least 20 times, to date.

Yes we track in average 3-4 times per year. But it is not after the track day that we notice brake failure. But after each brake pad change.
After all the hassles of going to dealer, and Auto Shops. His brake issues were getting nowhere.
We knew for sure that there is a problem with his brakes. Because I own 09 G37S Also. I mealy tap my brakes going 5 miles per hour and the car stops pretty abruptly.

My friend who has 08 G37S since late 2007. His brakes will not stop a car at 5 miles per hour braking all the way in.

We decided to take matter into our own hands. Since we changed Rotors, and brake lines our selves. There was one more thing to do. Change brake Pads ourselves.

So we studies and did research online, how to over do a brake pad change. And find out what is best way to change your brake pads.

We found out three things our shops were not doing when changing brake pads.

1. Use caliper cleaner spray to clean the pistons and inside where brake pads lie.
2. Use silicon gel on edges of brake pad.
3. For big brake system, many auto shops and dealers don't properly insert brake pads on the right position.
a. because conventional brake piston pusher will not work on big brake system.
b. Big brake system will accumulate more dirt and debris inside the caliper than normal 2 piston brake system. Making hard and hard to push the brake pads to correct position.

What most dealers and auto shops will tell you that it is the rotor. But actually because of all the dirt, debris and incorrect placement of the pads. Will cause pads to wear uneven. Making full contact with the rotor impossible after numerous changes.

So based on our experience, you should change your own brake pads. Or make sure that your shop clean and install your pads correctly.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:32 AM
joo030879
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hali's_G37S
I too have a 2008 Infiniti G37S. My vehicle only has 17000kms (Canadian model) and my front brakes warped. I had the dealership check it out and seeing as brakes are not a warrantied item they suggested that I must have had them very hot at one point to cause them to warp. Although I drive my car hard at times I have never emergency braked or tracked the car and can not see how this would have been possible. I purchased the S for the brakes as well as the other options and find it hard to believe that we should have to be replacing rotors this quickly. I had a local mechanic turn down the rotors and that seems to have fixed the problem so far. The rotors are over 30lbs a piece I would think they could withstand somewhat sporty driving at times. Does anyone know of any rotors that are good enough to withstand track use as I refuse to pay Infiniti original equipment prices for rotors that will probably only do the same thing again! Thanks and sorry for the rant lol
I don't know about Canada, but here in US Infiniti/Nissan has Customer Relations. Who handles warranty issues. Before a major issue with my car, I give them a call and find out if such problem or issue is covered under their warranty. I get confirmation number from them. And incase dealer will tell me that I need to pay for labor or part. Just by providing your dealer with confirmation number, you can have your dealer confirm with Infiniti/Nissan Customer Relations. Which avoided many hassles in the past.