Is there a Definitive install guide for springs/coil-overs for X front end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 PM
philttz
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there a Definitive install guide for springs/coil-overs for X front end?

Is there a detailed guide for removal of front shock/spring assembly for the X sedan?
I have found several posts with conflicting information, remove entire upper link arm, don't remove upper arm, remove the sway bar end links, steering knuckle and driveshafts, etc..

Is there a simple method where I don't have to take the front end apart?

Thnx!
Old 05-23-2019, 09:22 PM
OldG2NewG
Registered Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
I would like this info as well, I just installed mines and such conflicting information led to me ripping my axle boot smh
The following users liked this post:
philttz (05-25-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 10:10 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
I cant fully remember the whole process, but I know I did not have to take apart the knuckle, upper arm or mess with driveshafts.
The following users liked this post:
philttz (05-25-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:10 AM
Said Amir
Registered Member

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Their isn’t and I just winged it and got mine out and put them in. I would advice taking out the camber arms for more room or you’re going to struggle and also have a friend to help, I did mine alone and it’s struggle city. But I did not remove the knuckle or the axles but you to need a strong and long pry bar to put it in the side and push down on the lower control arm to get the strut too come out from the hole. Btw I did this all on the floor with basic tools and it was my first time, so if I can do it you can do it too.
I also just watched videos and read threads and pieced everything together as to getting them out.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ml#post4231420
This helped a bit^

If y’all want I will make a video tomorrow describing what I removed and everything to make it easier for y’all.

Last edited by Said Amir; 05-24-2019 at 01:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Said Amir:
Baadnewsburr (05-24-2019), philttz (05-25-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by philttz
Is there a detailed guide for removal of front shock/spring assembly for the X sedan?
I have found several posts with conflicting information, remove entire upper link arm, don't remove upper arm, remove the sway bar end links, steering knuckle and driveshafts, etc..

Is there a simple method where I don't have to take the front end apart?

Thnx!
I haven't been able to find any information that is conflicting that is posted on this topic (although I haven't come across anything anywhere where anyone had to remove a drive shaft to do this work).... there will never be a "definitive" guide to doing these types of things because there are multiple ways to do the work and depending on the the exact conditions of the car, the person doing the work on the car, the tools used, and the environment the work is done in it may be easier to do the work one way or the other...

The link Said posted is a great guide and seems to have worked quite simply for the author of the thread...others posts other ways because they found ways that work better for them under their circumstances...

Personally, I'd say the only info that seems to be missing in the link Said posted is where he said "This is the hard part" b/c if you disconnect the sway bar end links from the sway bar or the LCA you don't have to struggle with lowering the LCA and there is a metal bracket that is held in by two 14mm bolts on the LCA near the bottom of the A arm that if you take it off it makes it easier to slide out the whole thing...

The info about the sway bars is in the DIY on replacing FUCAs ... basically if you can't engage in minor problem solving like this and take the parts of others' experiences to make it work for you, you may want to revisit the idea of doing the work altogether, especially if you're going to do it on a car that has been exposed to road salt for a decade as you may run into even bigger problems once you get into it which would never be covered in a DIY B/c its too specific to a particular car...or you could dive into the work and consider it a challenge and don't expect it to be so easy and be proud of yourself for overcoming a small challenge...anyways good luck with it and post up how you sorted it out....
The following 2 users liked this post by Baadnewsburr:
philttz (05-25-2019), Said Amir (05-24-2019)