Does anyone have the Brembo 6 piston front calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 02:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I picked up some spacers and ran them for a while, but ultimately decided not to sacrifice wheel stud threads.
You seem caught between two equally unacceptable options.

2mm of sacrificed thread on the lug nuts is nothing to worry about. However, the worry you have about there being less than a 1mm gap between your calipers and the wheels... that would drive me nuts. Even if that probably doesn't matter, either. I think the difference between the two is that you'll be eyeballing that gap every single time you get in the car.

Regardless of the immediate problem/non-problem, is all this just supporting rationale to get bigger brakes? I think all the rationale you really need is your summer hobby of taking the car to the track. If bigger brakes shave some time, there it is.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-02-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I just wish someone had these brakes so I could at least get a feel for how much difference they make. If I could move the front calipers to the back so I could have 6 piston calipers up front and 4 piston calipers in back, then I would consider it. However, the front calipers are very expensive and if they do grab the rotors even harder than my stock calipers they are also going to generate more heat, which is definitely not what I need. I think I am nearing the end of useful upgrades for this car.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I am nearing the end of useful upgrades for this car.
Based on everything you've written in the last year... yes. You've peaked.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Based on everything you've written in the last year... yes. You've peaked.
#truth The car is in a very good spot right now.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

LW Driveshaft?
Old 01-02-2019, 04:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

LW Driveshaft?
I looked into that a year or two ago and found carbon fiber ones for the coupe, but for some reason no one has made one for the sedan. Probably because the 370Z uses a carbon fiber drive shaft, but the sedan's longer wheelbase does not work for that.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Hmm. How about if you ditched the Tein Basis for something more high-end, with adjustable damping? That would certainly give you something more to play with at the track, and on the street, as well as feed the mod monkey.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:44 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I just wish someone had these brakes so I could at least get a feel for how much difference they make. If I could move the front calipers to the back so I could have 6 piston calipers up front and 4 piston calipers in back, then I would consider it. However, the front calipers are very expensive and if they do grab the rotors even harder than my stock calipers they are also going to generate more heat, which is definitely not what I need. I think I am nearing the end of useful upgrades for this car.
hey all, I was too busy to log in during the holidays and just catching up on threads.... I'm pretty sure there was a guy on here years ago with a black sedan with a set of yellow 6 pot brembos, posted some pics from car show with trophies and eventually did a part out...I'll try to find a link or pics...

I don't know about refitting the front 4 pots to the rear but I know they make brackets to mount a second rear caliper to the rear its used for a hydraulic handbrake set up and its plumbed seperatly ...not sure if this will spark any ideas in that direction(IIRC Z1 says not to use their 2 pc rotors with this setup though so not sure if its a good idea to use the rear rotors wit the 4 pot akebonos either) ...beyond that I don't think getting a bracket machined is as bad as it sounds, probably a few hundred dollars though and you have to take a few measurements...about as involved as getting a driveshaft made I would expect take some measurements and give them to the shop and they make it..

Old 01-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

I couldn't find the one I was talking about yet but check out this thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/support...plified-3.html

hes got great pics at posts 41 (and mentions clearance) and 60 and also mentions it working with stock rears at post #3

also on this thread, there's a pic of it on a sedan at post #7:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...-rotors-2.html

Last edited by Baadnewsburr; 01-03-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 01-03-2019, 10:10 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

here's the one I was talking about earlier:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...6-4-335-a.html

my bad, his are a 6 piston stoptech setup..not sure if they are a rebranded brembo set or somthing
Old 01-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Hot damn, that's wheel & brake **** right there.

Originally Posted by Need 4 Speed
MORE STOPPING POWER!!! Brembo BBKs save the day.

​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (01-27-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 06:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Hmm. How about if you ditched the Tein Basis for something more high-end, with adjustable damping? That would certainly give you something more to play with at the track, and on the street, as well as feed the mod monkey.
I have given a lot of thought to Koni shocks and H&R springs, but the Teins seem to be working fine for now. Good idea though.

Originally Posted by Hashim
I couldn't find the one I was talking about yet but check out this thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/support...plified-3.html

hes got great pics at posts 41 (and mentions clearance) and 60 and also mentions it working with stock rears at post #3

also on this thread, there's a pic of it on a sedan at post #7:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...-rotors-2.html
Thanks for all the research. It's too bad the Stoptech's for sale and the vendor with the Brembos are long gone, but I appreciate the effort. It seems odd to me that the tolerance on the calipers is "the same" as the Akebonos. I am sure there is some variance and that would be a problem for me if it is the slightest bit wider.

Hot damn, that's wheel & brake **** right there.

Not my cup of tea on the wheels, but the calipers do look good.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:04 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I take it that no one currently has these brakes or has tried them out on track? I sent a pm to the guy with the picture above, but it looks like he was last active on the site in 2017. I saw the one review from a long time ago that the car seemed to stop quicker in town.

I am really curious how they hold up on track, if you can get good track pads that fit the calipers, and if you gain any wheel clearance ie. thinner profile caliper.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:31 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Hmm, still no sign of anyone with these brakes. I sent pms to anyone who had them before, but have yet to hear anything back. I think I still have plenty of time to decide on this upgrade as I will probably do every other mod I have planned for my car first. Or I may end up replacing it with an ATS-V or M3 if the used prices keep dropping.

Another option was having my Akebono brakes powedercoated. Does anyone know if that type of painting holds up to the high temps of a track day? Or does anyone know where to find the Akebono stickers? I wonder if those would melt off at a track day.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

RotaryMike was just commenting in the sedan chat thread about powdercoating and decals failing on a hot track day.

You know, I'm sure decals are super easy to find. Heck, you can probably get them from Z1.

Getting my Akebono calipers painted something other than OEM silver is on my car's bucket list.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (01-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Does anyone have the Brembo 6 piston front calipers?