MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension-306/)
-   -   Does anyone have the Brembo 6 piston front calipers? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension/291164-does-anyone-have-the-brembo-6-piston-front-calipers.html)

4DRZ 12-23-2018 08:01 PM

Does anyone have the Brembo 6 piston front calipers?

I am trying to justify the price of these Brembo 6 piston front calipers. They are about $1,000 less than a full BBK and I already have Z1 2pc. rotors. I hope someone has these and they can share what they think of them and if they are any wider than stock causing fitment issues with wheels.

I have an aftermarket set of rims with snow tires that are ridiculously close the the factory Akebono 4 piston front calipers already. I was hoping with smaller pistons that they might actually be narrower than the Akebonos.

https://conceptzperformance.com/brem...a2_p_31257.php

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.myg...22fdfd0d0e.jpg

slartibartfast 12-24-2018 11:53 AM

I assume you searched the Tech and Review Brake & Suspension forums?

4DRZ 12-24-2018 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4225442)
I assume you searched the Tech and Review Brake & Suspension forums?

I searched the entire forum going back 11 years and didn't see any reviews unless you know something I don't.

slartibartfast 12-24-2018 07:01 PM

No. I searched, too, and didn't find the info for which you were looking. Maybe my370z forums have something...

JSolo 12-24-2018 09:25 PM

Are these the same brakes that come with the camaro 1le package? You see where I'm going with this............ :)

Happy Holidays!

blnewt 12-25-2018 01:03 PM

FWIW I do believe the 6 pot brembos are narrower than the fat Akebonos, Concept Z might have templates for those???

4DRZ 12-27-2018 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4225473)
No. I searched, too, and didn't find the info for which you were looking. Maybe my370z forums have something...

Damn.

Originally Posted by Jsolo (Post 4225482)
Are these the same brakes that come with the camaro 1le package? You see where I'm going with this............ :)

Happy Holidays!

Hmmm... I wonder if they are any cheaper for the Camaro? Then again 1 in 1,00,000 odds that it is the same part number, but I like your style Jsolo.

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 4225512)
FWIW I do believe the 6 pot brembos are narrower than the fat Akebonos, Concept Z might have templates for those???

I will definitely be digging into this if I get serious, but man are they spendy. That would be great if you are right as my snow rims are dangerously close to the Akebonos.

4DRZ 12-27-2018 07:31 PM

I just had another idea (to try to justify the high price)- Does anyone know if the front 4 piston Akebonos (and front rotors) can be mounted on the rear? I think this would help balance out the braking if I went with 6 piston calipers up front.

slartibartfast 12-30-2018 03:30 PM

Know? No. I strongly suspect, however, you'll need a custom bracket for the caliper.

4DRZ 12-30-2018 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4225993)
Know? No. I strongly suspect, however, you'll need a custom bracket for the caliper.

That's what I figured. I wonder if anyone makes anything like that. I could install the pretty red Brembo 6 piston calipers up front, get my 4 piston Akebonos painted a similar shade of red and install them in the back. That would be nice. I'll have to take a closer look at the way they are mounted the next time I have the car in the air.

slartibartfast 12-30-2018 08:42 PM

You better also look into master cylinders. I would be highly surprised if the OE master cylinder can move that much fluid or has suitable proportioning.

4DRZ 12-30-2018 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4226024)
You better also look into master cylinders. I would be highly surprised if the OE master cylinder can move that much fluid or has suitable proportioning.

I should be fine there. I have upgraded to a lot more serious brake kits in the past on oem master cylinders and never had a problem. Then again, I doubt I will end up finding a bracket to mount my front calipers in the back. It would still be a cool upgrade though.

Rochester 01-02-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 4DRZ (Post 4225768)
my snow rims are dangerously close to the Akebonos.

Whatever clearance you have is a fixed gap, but I hear what you're saying... it's unnerving.

So with that in mind, spend $25 on a pair of 2mm wheel spacers and call it a day. It's a fair trade-off for peace of mind.

JSolo 01-02-2019 12:19 PM

I'd say I have ~3/16" or so at the closest point between the calipers and snow rims. It did seem too close for comfort at first, but going on now many years with no issues.

4DRZ 01-02-2019 01:46 PM

How thick is a fingernail? I have less clearance than that, but slightly more than a sheet of paper between the front caliper and my snow rims. I picked up some spacers and ran them for a while, but ultimately decided not to sacrifice wheel stud threads. Unless my wheel bearings go, I should be ok even though it is easily the tightest clearance I have ever seen on a car.