Tein Street Basis Coilovers Vs TruHart StreetSports Plus

Old 09-28-2018, 08:42 PM
sidestepca
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
alright guys. Lol i was trippin about yesterday to unloosen them. Thanks to my dad and his awesome dad strength he put in the Table Vice Grip and just banged it easily unloosening it.
I was very relieved, now onto the install!
So it was my and my friend doing it, both of us have no experience with anything coilover related.
The rear was a bit difficult, but easy, was able to get only 1 rear done in two hours.
So stock for rear was 21.5 in length, set the coils to 20.5, only a 1inch drop i guess, looks good for the rear tho!
Moved onto the front and ran into a huge problem, endlink was a breeze to unloosen.
But the A arm bolt just would not come loose, i dont have a breaker bar, or any air guns, so only wrenches, and ghetto make shift leverge to try
Nope nothin! and its not that we are weak, we're pretty ripped tbh i aint no skronny kid.
So i wasnt able to get it loose, so i quit! put the endlink bak into the sway bar, put my wheels on and im done for today scew that
Tomorrow, hopefully my dad or someone can help me do the other rear, which is a bit easier IMO
Then later in the day i will have one of those Mobile Mechanics come, well more like one of my dad's hispanic mechanic friends that worked on his trucks b4.
They charge about 50 each side, soo looking at 100 for the fronts, that is if he can get it loose, or unless he strips it, which it isnt right now, but its gettin close
I am looking for the name of that bolt or where i can get one near me just in case he does strip it i can pick it up the day of.
So far the Rear looks really good im happy, i am a bit close to the fender liner, but i dont think its much to worry about.
Ill update ya'll tomorrow! hope things go smooth.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:04 PM
kon17
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
nice, glad you got it working. There are videos on youtube that shows you how to install those same coilovers on the G
Old 09-29-2018, 09:03 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice drop^^^, good luck on the A-arm bolts, luckily they're pretty big so should be able to get a good tight fit on the bolt heads. Mine were easy, living in Cal rust shouldn't be an issue, maybe just drink a big RedBull and go to town
G'luck!
The following users liked this post:
sidestepca (09-29-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 08:43 PM
sidestepca
Registered Member

Mechanic was able to get them in easily! obviously i had to be there and show him what to do, he just did labor & had the tools.
Air gun made that nut come off easily
Downside though, he broke a endlink. I stepped away for a bit and let him do the rest, he jacked up the endlink to get it into the sway bar and he broke the endlink.
I was heated, i was like bro i told you not from there, you jack it from under the Rotors
Anyway nothing to worry abt he's buyin a new one & replacing it tomorrow.
These just pics from the car being jacked up from the side, although fitment is really damn close to this.
Will be getting better pics from my cannon this week, these just some quick iPhone pics.
Started jumping on my trunk, and my buddy said i aint touched the fender liner yet, but damn close. Also pretty sure im running like 3degress natural camber

Old 09-30-2018, 09:43 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

What height are you planning to settle on? Keep in mind lower than 2" can be hell on daily drives and your undercarriage will show that hell over time, especially your y-pipe. I'd shoot for 26" to the fender arcs, but if you plan on very careful navigation and don't have to deal w/ dreaded speed humps (much worse than speed bumps) your life will be easier I was at 25.75" and wasn't fun over the long haul, at 26.25" all around now (zero fender gap) and it's all good!
G'luck.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:30 AM
sidestepca
Registered Member

Not sure about the height im settling on, although i haven't been rubbing or scraping at all! maybe a little depends on what angle driveway. But so far the ride is really good!

Last edited by sidestepca; 10-08-2018 at 02:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:40 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Looks like you're probably around 25.25" (maybe shorter) to the fender arcs in back and around 25.75 in front. If you can navigate easily in your daily journey then it's all good

And I'm an old geezer, so there's that
Old 10-08-2018, 11:51 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Geez, I could never get my sedan that low with the MeisterR coil-overs. My driveway is too steep and I have whacked the front sway bar bushing clamp several times when the front hits a dip. 10 kg/mm is too soft for the G.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:03 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
is the sedan and coupe different in terms of lower body height? im lowered at 25.5" in the front of my coupe and i dont hit anything
Old 10-08-2018, 06:13 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I have't measured the height so I can't compare with yours. Besides 10 kg/mm being too soft, the front dampers need longer bump stops. As for weight, the sedan RWD is the lightest G model.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:17 PM
gavinduprat

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rvchiryvn

Looks like you already picked up the truharts but thought I'd give my opinion on the tein basis for those browsing through the forum. I got them from Race Consulting Agency for $444 shipped a few months back. Currently maxed out on the rears and have about 2 inches to go on the fronts. The ride is decent (similar to stock). It can get bouncy on rougher pavement. For the price, I cant really complain. I'd recommend them if you are on a budget and mainly interested in height adjustability. If you want to go lower or adjust dampening, youre better off looking elsewhere. Hope you get everything worked out OP
This ride height is exactly what I’m going for, what are the exact dimensions you had it lowered to if you remember? This made my decision to buy these for me, much appreciated!
Old 06-02-2019, 05:51 PM
gavinduprat

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
from teins site the coilovers have a ride height adjustability of -.8" to -4" (front) and -.6" to -2.2" (rear). recommends max low -2.2" (front) & -1.8" (rear). base height of -1.8/-1.4 with that said im lowered 2.45 front and 1.45 rear and my ride quality is awesome. ride quality deteriorates the lower u go.

I read somewhere that the basis z ones don’t come with mounts like the other Coilovers , is this true / a problem? What else do I need to buy along with them if so
Old 06-02-2019, 07:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by gavinduprat
I read somewhere that the basis z ones don’t come with mounts like the other Coilovers , is this true / a problem? What else do I need to buy along with them if so
You reuse the OEM upper mounts from your stock shocks front & rear, this isn't necessarily a bad thing as some cheaper coilovers w/ pillowball mounts can be a source for creaking noises over time. Only downside is you will have to compress your stock shocks and remove the front upper mounts instead of just leaving them together when you put them in the attic collecting dust