Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Softening Tein street basis coilovers.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:47 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Softening Tein street basis coilovers.

hello, guys!

I recently got a child seat occupant in my car really happy about it! but I am not so happy about my coil overs comfort level anymore.

I have tein basis and these are not true coil overs so in order to make the ride softer, I will have to go lower. I don't want to go lower, it takes away my car's usability.

For the rear side, I am thinking about swapping tein springs with stock springs, while leaving everything else in.

Right now my spring seats are at about 75% height so if I put longer stock springs, put lowest settings on spring seats and use tein top mount which is flat, should I be sitting at close to what I have?
or altogether this is a very bad idea? lol

Last edited by main_shoby; 06-26-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:07 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

no one ?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Guess no one wants to recommend mixing the parts, you could give it a try but the Teins are already the softest spring rate coilovers, so I'd imagine going even softer you'd hit the stops a lot more. Coilovers are an acquired taste, I wasn't really happy w/ the firm ride but now it's less dramatic since I've grown accustomed to them.

As far as the longer OEM springs fitting, they'll fit but that OEM rubber top cone cushion/seat probably won't be as tall as the fully lowered coilover mount so it'll probably be too high, even fully lowered I'm guessing.

Last edited by blnewt; 06-27-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:50 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Guess no one wants to recommend mixing the parts, you could give it a try but the Teins are already the softest spring rate coilovers, so I'd imagine going even softer you'd hit the stops a lot more. Coilovers are an acquired taste, I wasn't really happy w/ the firm ride but now it's less dramatic since I've grown accustomed to them.

As far as the longer OEM springs fitting, they'll fit but that OEM rubber top cone cushion/seat probably won't be as tall as the fully lowered coilover mount so it'll probably be too high, even fully lowered I'm guessing.
thanks!
I personaly am okay with the ride stiffness, I like it but I suspect that its probably too stiff for my little girl
now 2nd option would be this:
right now I am at 75% height on spring seats (perches?) its because I like the car height there but this also causes the car to be stiffer.
If I reduce the height, its going to reduce stiffness too.
so imagine a case where i take the perches to lowest settings so i can have max softness and then add some kind of spacer to increase height?
just thinking :/
PS: lol wont it be the same thing as increasing height on perches? rofl?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Why do you think that lowering the car more will soften the ride?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:33 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
Why do you think that lowering the car more will soften the ride?
thats how tein street basis work. you add / reduce height by compressing the spring itself. there is no height adjustment to the strut. so when you add height you need to compress the spring (adding stiffness) and when you reduce height you free up the spring, reducing stiffnees.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Originally Posted by main_shoby
thats how tein street basis work. you add / reduce height by compressing the spring itself. there is no height adjustment to the strut. so when you add height you need to compress the spring (adding stiffness) and when you reduce height you free up the spring, reducing stiffnees.
That is very much not how springs work. Your perception of ride stiffness is a combination of the springs actual rate, the damping characteristics of the shock, and a few other factors. Changing the ride height doesn't compress the spring anymore. That is a function of how much weight is on the spring.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:17 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I think I'd just get a foam seat cushion to put under the child seat, especially since you don't mind the firmer ride.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:36 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
That is very much not how springs work. Your perception of ride stiffness is a combination of the springs actual rate, the damping characteristics of the shock, and a few other factors. Changing the ride height doesn't compress the spring anymore. That is a function of how much weight is on the spring.
Thanks for clarification sir. I may be wrong :/
​​​​​​My aim is to reduce stiffness from rear suspension. In my mind uncompromising the spring will reduce stiffness and as a fact it does reduce height. Looking for a solution :/
Old 06-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Adjusting the ride height merely changes the mounting point for the spring. Grab a ruler and you'll find the total height of the spring is the same (or nearly the same) at all ride heights.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Also keep in mind the OEM setup has that very thick upper rubber cone mount so that's also some extra cushion which coilover setups lack.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:03 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

I believe you can use the large stock isolator with the teins. I'm 90% certain that my buddy has his mounted that way. IIRC I told him to set it up that wasy based off a recomendation I read here.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:35 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
I use the stock isolators, top and bottom, with mine. Part of the problem is the rear linkage and it's ark. It necessitates going crazy soft with spring rate to get an acceptable ride in the rear. At the expense of handling of course.

The Street Basis doesn't have an independent height adjustment. Adjustments affect the preload. Lowering the car will increase the preload (compressing) the spring. Not much, but lowering them will compress the spring. Raising the car will do just the opposite. There's an optimal preload range that Tein suggests. You'll get the best ride out of that particular model by adhering to their suggestion.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:45 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I think I'd just get a foam seat cushion to put under the child seat,...
+1 on that note.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:42 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
The Street Basis doesn't have an independent height adjustment. Adjustments affect the preload. Lowering the car will increase the preload (compressing) the spring. Not much, but lowering them will compress the spring. Raising the car will do just the opposite. There's an optimal preload range that Tein suggests. You'll get the best ride out of that particular model by adhering to their suggestion.
The "preload" adjustment you are talking about primarily affects the the shocks, not the springs. I ask you to look at our rear suspension and tell me how lowering the height of a coilover spring assembly compresses it. (Hint: It doesn't. Easily verifiable considering that going too low can allow the spring assembly to be very loose under full droop/extension) Coilovers with a proper height and preload adjustment (such as the flex z) merely add the ability to adjust the shock to compensate for wherever you have adjusted the ride height for the spring (In the rear of our cars)

Last edited by Crazyirish; 06-29-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Search this Thread