Tein Street Basis Coilovers Vs TruHart StreetSports Plus

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 02:04 AM
kon17
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Tein Street Basis Coilovers Vs TruHart StreetSports Plus

Hi i'm looking into buying Coilovers for my 09' G37, most of them go for $900+ but i'm not looking to drop that much. I found 2 that are going for less than $600 and found an old thread here that had some review on the Tein Street Basis Coilover but nothing on the TruHart. Anyone have installed any of these two and which one would you recommend?
Old 09-25-2018, 11:28 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I don't recall hearing of TruHart. Just realize you get what you pay for. "Penny wise and pound foolish" as the old saying goes. You're better off in the long-run saving your sheckels to get a better product.

Can you point towards your TruHart info so I can add it to the coil-over redux thread? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:18 PM
kon17
Premier Member

I found the TruHart on Outcast Garage, I saw the Tein Basis had few mix reviews on an old thread here some saying they work great on them and had no issue while others would recommend BC coilovers instead but those have had bad reviews in the past. i just want a good reliable coilovers im not trying to spend over $1k on coilovers for that i can just invest on airbags if im dropping more than $1000 for suspension

https://www.outcastgarage.com/produc...-g37-q60-coupe
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:08 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
im sure truhart stuff all comes from the same taiwan factory as bc and all the other guys. with that said im waiting for ebay to have their 20% off stuff so i can try out the truhart front camber kit. i like the way its desigined especially with the adjustment being on the bottom of the arm rather than the top like the other brands/designs
Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 PM
kon17
Premier Member

Yea, I found the Tein Street Basis Z Coilovers on ebay for $520 which is not a bad price and the TruHart Coilovers for around the same price. But I haven't found any reviews on them only one on the Tein but nothing on TruHart.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:32 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by kon17
Yea, I found the Tein Street Basis Z Coilovers on ebay for $520 which is not a bad price and the TruHart Coilovers for around the same price. But I haven't found any reviews on them only one on the Tein but nothing on TruHart.
The TruHarts should be similar to D2, Megan, BC, etc. they will have firm spring rates vs. stock so you will have a firm ride compared to what you currently have. The Teins are a good choice if you don't want a deep drop (keeping in the under 2" range) and the spring rates are the softest vs. the other coilover kits so the ride will be easier to live with if you don't drive your G aggressively often. You will have to use your OEM top shock mounts w/ the Teins, so if you have a lot of miles on your G you may have to repalce those as well, and they can be expensive. Typically those mounts aren't a problem, but if your shocks are real tired the mounts probably are too.

kon17 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 02:13 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

yay ebay currently has their random discounts 15% off with code picksoon. bought the truhart camber kit fronts saved $47. nows a good time to buy folks
kon17 (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 03:23 PM
sidestepca
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I recently just picked up some Tru Harts Street plus from a guy in San Diego, they were used for a few months, less than a thousand miles he said.
The reason he sold these is because tru harts drop you really low, and where he lived the streets were bad.
I picked them up for $350 shipped from SD to Oakland,CA i do live in a ****ty area for roads, but i dont mind scraping & stuff, i don't drive much( put 3.5k miles in 9months when i bought the G)
so for that price i had to come up on them, i mean 350 to get lowered on coilovers is great, i dont care about dampening since i dont track, i do some spirited driving every now and then.
They are only height adjustable which is all i care, i have a few friends on Tru Hart's already and they say the ride is comparable to stock ride quaility
Going to be putting them on this weekend(Hopefully) with some friends.
kon17 (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 05:55 PM
kon17
Premier Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
yay ebay currently has their random discounts 15% off with code picksoon. bought the truhart camber kit fronts saved $47. nows a good time to buy folks
Thank you! i've been checking ebay the last few days waiting for one of their random discount
Old 09-27-2018, 06:13 PM
kon17
Premier Member

Originally Posted by sidestepca
I recently just picked up some Tru Harts Street plus from a guy in San Diego, they were used for a few months, less than a thousand miles he said.
The reason he sold these is because tru harts drop you really low, and where he lived the streets were bad.
I picked them up for $350 shipped from SD to Oakland,CA i do live in a ****ty area for roads, but i dont mind scraping & stuff, i don't drive much( put 3.5k miles in 9months when i bought the G)
so for that price i had to come up on them, i mean 350 to get lowered on coilovers is great, i dont care about dampening since i dont track, i do some spirited driving every now and then.
They are only height adjustable which is all i care, i have a few friends on Tru Hart's already and they say the ride is comparable to stock ride quaility
Going to be putting them on this weekend(Hopefully) with some friends.

How low do they drop, and can you adjust how low you want them? I know the Tein they only drop 1.5'', I'm not looking to drop my car no more than 2'' so if I'm able to adjust how much drop i want on my car whether is 2'' more or less that would be great. I decided to purchase them since the use "SayWhat?" just posted that ebay has a 15% discount on everything so the price came out great with the discount, will I be needing camber kit for them? I've read is not necessary just a good alignment would do good. I'm also purchasing sway bar to go along with the Coilovers.

Thanks for the input
Old 09-27-2018, 06:27 PM
sidestepca
Registered Member

lol nice picking them up bro. And as far as I know no you don’t need any camber kit, but I haven’t even put em on yet so who knows. And nice the sway bars should help a lot. Im not getting a alignment for a while. Let them settle in, and just because a alignment is pricey and I’d get one I don’t want to get another a week later like all the other guys do.
kon17 (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 06:29 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

from teins site the coilovers have a ride height adjustability of -.8" to -4" (front) and -.6" to -2.2" (rear). recommends max low -2.2" (front) & -1.8" (rear). base height of -1.8/-1.4 with that said im lowered 2.45 front and 1.45 rear and my ride quality is awesome. ride quality deteriorates the lower u go.

kon17 (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:25 PM
sidestepca
Registered Member

damn, so i recieved them today, coilovers look fine, not that badly used, but theres a problem.
One of the rear coilovers, the Lower Lock Ring has been stuck, i have tried and tired to unloosen it, but no luck
Soaking them in PB blaster overnight, tomorrow will hopefully have some help from friends to get them loose, and install them.
The other 3 are fine, just one is stuck,
Last resort i can take them to a shop and see if they can help,
Have already requested a refund thru paypal, since the seller said nothing wrong with them, and one is stuck.
So hopefully ill be able to figure something out, praying to god he can work a miracle on these coilovers.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:39 PM
kon17
Premier Member

Originally Posted by sidestepca
damn, so i recieved them today, coilovers look fine, not that badly used, but theres a problem.
One of the rear coilovers, the Lower Lock Ring has been stuck, i have tried and tired to unloosen it, but no luck
Soaking them in PB blaster overnight, tomorrow will hopefully have some help from friends to get them loose, and install them.
The other 3 are fine, just one is stuck,
Last resort i can take them to a shop and see if they can help,
Have already requested a refund thru paypal, since the seller said nothing wrong with them, and one is stuck.
So hopefully ill be able to figure something out, praying to god he can work a miracle on these coilovers.
damn, hopefully it can be fix. I've read that cleaning them up with wire brush and then soaking it overnight gets the job done. Post pics if you can once you put them on to see how they look, mine might take few weeks to get here because they sold out and are expecting to restock in 2-3 weeks. I need new friends that do these type of work so i wont have to spend so much money on shops lol
Old 09-28-2018, 04:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
use 50:50 Acetone ATF mix, much better than PB blast!

Quick Reply: Tein Street Basis Coilovers Vs TruHart StreetSports Plus