G37x (AWD) Coil-overs redux

Old 01-27-2019, 12:43 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
I'm going with Feal 442 this summer. I've had my FA500 with swifts for a couple and they are good, but FA refuses to look into upgrading for the X and that bothers me so I am going to switch brands. I talked to the owner of Feal multiple times (along with a couple other brands) over the winter and Feal seems like the best all around choice for ride quality, upgrade-ability, and on continent rebuild-ability. Don't get me wrong, i like my FA, but I need more from my setup up now and FA has refused multiple years in a row to do what their website says they will do: allow upgrade-ability.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:26 PM
Phasma
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ksports are 780 on racing consulting agency.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:31 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Ok so as is my nature, I come out of forum hibernation in the spring, as I quietly squirrel away parts over the winter and do further research and reading over the cold dark wet months that are PA winters. I thought I'd give an update on my suspension plans. I made numerous attempts to finalize a purchase from Broadway Static as their product looks good and well touted in the the bigger BMW community, however as I tried to work out final specs and details I didnt get any return responses. I let it go for a while then tried again. I am not going to plead with a company to buy their product so I decided to go with Fortune Auto (which is what Broadway Static use as their starting point). They made a few tweaks with their 7th Generation and as I want to stick with the OEM style seems to be the best bet. I reached out to Luke at THMotorsports and when he said they're running a special until Memorial Day I couldn't resist for the price.

I am going with the upgraded swift springs in a 12k/10k spring rate at his recommendation, I was considering 14k front but he recommended 12k and I am willing to see how that works out. I got a deal on SPL front camber arms over the winter so I'll be swapping them out for my current SPC set as I think SPL are a nicer and more importantly, easier to adjust on the car. I am giving consideration to SPL mid-links in the rear but have to determine A.) if they're compatible with the size of the Fortune springs and B.) if the additional adjustability it provides is helpful or just over complicating things.

Hope to have them in hand in the next several weeks.
The following 2 users liked this post by KidJai06:
rosskuhns (08-16-2020), slartibartfast (05-15-2019)
Old 07-30-2020, 02:34 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Updated the list... came across YellowSpeed while reading an article about suspension, out of curiosity jumped to their site and to my surprise they offer an option for those of us with AWD.
The following users liked this post:
rosskuhns (08-16-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 02:25 PM
rosskuhns
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Anyone know if any of the rear shock adjust extensions will work for any of these coilovers? I found a thread where the G35 guys were able to cut through the rear deck around the car seat hole and get access to extended adjusters. I've not found if it can be done on a G37. I know Feal has 10" extenders.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:39 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rosskuhns
Anyone know if any of the rear shock adjust extensions will work for any of these coilovers? I found a thread where the G35 guys were able to cut through the rear deck around the car seat hole and get access to extended adjusters. I've not found if it can be done on a G37. I know Feal has 10" extenders.
I had Feal coilovers and was planning on doing just this as I found a video here of a guy who did it. It's a bit of a pain but can be done although the the first shop I brought it to said it can't so either they didn't want to do it or wasn't sure how. The shop that I ultimately went to to install the coilovers said they could do it but ran out of time and I sold it before I could bring it back.
rosskuhns (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 10:41 AM
rosskuhns
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks NealP That video led me to this one, which is more what I was thinking:
just make them accessible thru the trunk, looks easier than the parcel shelf. I also have two car seats, so I'm not messing around, or have room, with the child mounts.

I have a sedan, so the shelfing/access may be different.

*the video is on a G35 of course, so maybe differences there, but a starting point possibly.

Last edited by rosskuhns; 12-22-2020 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:46 AM
philttz
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rosskuhns
Yes just use a cut-off wheel and remove the hump on top, then file the sharp edges.

rosskuhns (12-28-2020)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:30 PM
g37g37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for this thread guys.

Is there anything you would recommend based on experience that can fill the wheel gap AND provide a fairly comfortable ride (with kids in the back).

Or do coilovers need to be customed for our AWD vehicles?
Old 09-02-2021, 09:49 AM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Originally Posted by g37g37x

Is there anything you would recommend based on experience that can fill the wheel gap AND provide a fairly comfortable ride (with kids in the back).

It really depends on what you want to spend and how specific you want to be with ride height and comfort. The quick, easy, and inexpensive solution is just to go with a set of lowering springs (Swift or Eibach) they will cut the wheel gap fairly well without losing much in terms of ride quality. If you want an exact ride height then coilovers would be the way to go as you will end up with a wide array of adjustability with both height and dampening. There are a lot of good options on the market. Personally, I love my Fortune Auto 500 series. Peruse the list of what is available above (I havent updated it in a while so there might be more available and/or prices may have changed some) and see what might work best for you. You can also look in the Reviews forum to see what people think of various brands.
Rochester (09-02-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 02:55 AM
g37g37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KidJai06
It really depends on what you want to spend and how specific you want to be with ride height and comfort. The quick, easy, and inexpensive solution is just to go with a set of lowering springs (Swift or Eibach) they will cut the wheel gap fairly well without losing much in terms of ride quality. If you want an exact ride height then coilovers would be the way to go as you will end up with a wide array of adjustability with both height and dampening. There are a lot of good options on the market. Personally, I love my Fortune Auto 500 series. Peruse the list of what is available above (I havent updated it in a while so there might be more available and/or prices may have changed some) and see what might work best for you. You can also look in the Reviews forum to see what people think of various brands.
Thanks man for the input.

Yes i've decided coilovers is the way for me (used them on previous cars and can't go back to springs).
Old 09-06-2021, 10:50 AM
philttz
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by g37g37x

I went with the silvers and customized the spring rates to soften it up somewhat.
Pretty certain I went with a 12k/6k setup true Coilover, where you remove the OEM rear spring.
I'm happy with the setup, the car is low handles well and can haul kids around. check out my previous posts for images.
https://www.silvers-na.ca/product/si...awd-true-rear/
Old 05-11-2022, 06:08 PM
digital.aaron
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I ordered a set of Five8 Industries Street Series coilovers for AWD. Going to be installing them in the next week or so, but here's the relevant info:

Brand: Five8 Industries
Model: Street Series
P/N: 58-Z34SSX
Price: $768
Type: True
Body type: Monotube
Upper mount: Pillowball
Separate hgt adjust [1]: Yes
Damping type: Linear
Damping adjust (F/R): no
Rate (F/R), kg/mm:12k/10k
Front/rear ratio [2 ]:
Spring diameter, mm[3]:
Rebuildable:
Warranty (yr): 1 year Limited
Note: Springs customizable and upgradable to Swift, need to contact Five8 directly for customization
rosskuhns (05-11-2022)