Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Tein Basis coilovers on '13 G37S sedan 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 05:29 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
So you are advising me not to get the Tein Basis I already have since that is what I started this thread about? Your post still makes no sense to me. Care to explain?
Old 01-11-2018, 05:32 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
im suggesting if u wanted adjustability for street/track then u obviously dont get the basis. u get the next step in their line of intro coilovers the flexz. if ur saying u already have them and thats the end of what ur willing to install then no point in wishing what it cant offer u
Old 01-11-2018, 05:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No, a different set of stiff coilovers is not the solution to Tein's bouncy ride. I think you completely missed what I was saying about the benefits of the Konis and their ride. One of the benefits of the Konis is that I can adjust between a tight setup for track and a soft setting for the street. High quality Tein coilovers are adjustable for different tracks not street/track.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:44 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
sounds like maybe u outgrew or outgrowing the basis lol. maybe its time to change up. u expecting a tax return? good excuse to do it
Old 01-11-2018, 05:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The ride is ok on most roads, but it is a bit annoying on newer bouncy roads. I think it is mostly caused by the front suspension. I keep thinking about upgrading to Konis on the front 1st to see if it fixes my issue. However, the problem is not annoying enough to spend the time and money to do it... yet.

I am still also trying to figure out what springs to use since it sounds like Lego is one of the only people to put Konis on a sedan so far.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ

What springs do you run Lego?
Swift

Alignment turned out pretty good too with no camber bolts or anything.

Edit: BlackBetty ran them on what I think was his wife's sedan.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 09:37 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That is good to know. I have rear camber arms so that should work.

Any other yeas or nays about the Konis Lego?

Does the rear of the car sit a little lower than the front with the swifts? I hear a lot of people complain about that.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:09 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Does the rear of the car sit a little lower than the front with the swifts? I hear a lot of people complain about that.
Yeah, that's the downside, droopy butt. But if you're adapting them to the adjustable Tein hardware that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:36 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
No, a different set of stiff coilovers is not the solution to Tein's bouncy ride. I think you completely missed what I was saying about the benefits of the Konis and their ride. One of the benefits of the Konis is that I can adjust between a tight setup for track and a soft setting for the street. High quality Tein coilovers are adjustable for different tracks not street/track.
The Flex Z's are stiffer, but I think that's what the G needs. With it's higher quality shocks it should ride better than the Basis. The wavy road issue you mention would be eliminated by the Flex's rebound adjustability. Shock dynos I've seen show it's pretty digressive. Also would be much cheaper and more straightforward than the Konis with the ability to get EDFC. Koni shocks are a known entity though. Personally I'm torn but I'm leaning towards the Flex... Would be a lot cheaper since I could sell the Basis kit in its entirety rather than having to keep the back perch. Definitely food for thought
Old 01-12-2018, 10:50 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Yeah, that's the downside, droopy butt. But if you're adapting them to the adjustable Tein hardware that shouldn't be a problem.
I guess I could keep the Tein set up in back if it works ok- somewhat similar to what Rochester is doing.

Originally Posted by future62
The Flex Z's are stiffer, but I think that's what the G needs. With it's higher quality shocks it should ride better than the Basis. The wavy road issue you mention would be eliminated by the Flex's rebound adjustability. Shock dynos I've seen show it's pretty digressive. Also would be much cheaper and more straightforward than the Konis with the ability to get EDFC. Koni shocks are a known entity though. Personally I'm torn but I'm leaning towards the Flex... Would be a lot cheaper since I could sell the Basis kit in its entirety rather than having to keep the back perch. Definitely food for thought
I had Tein Flex coilovers before in another car and they rode awful on the street. They were much bouncier than the Basis I have now and crashed hard over bumps. Maybe they have changed a bit and maybe they will be ok on our cars, but until I have someone actually try them I am not going that route.

The basis is the best coilover I have ridden on the street so far and it is just a little annoying on the wavy/bouncy roads. Every other coilover I have tried (lots) have sucked on the street. I had Konis on another car and they actually rode well on the street and held up decently on the track, which is why I am considering them now.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:08 PM
future62

Yea I can also vouch for Konis from experience. It's just a little tough to swallow the 50% higher cost. Reviews on the Flex Z are super mixed.... some folks with other cars love them but a dude on here hated his set. I think I'm gonna get with a vendor with a decent return policy and give them a try around the summer.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

How much are the flex zs? I paid 795 shipped for koni dampers, although you obviously need springs.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:46 PM
future62

Flex Zs are like $850 shipped. Where did you find Konis for $800? Everywhere I see them they are going for about $1100 or so.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:53 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Flex Zs are like $850 shipped. Where did you find Konis for $800? Everywhere I see them they are going for about $1100 or so.
Ill PM you
Old 01-12-2018, 03:37 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yea I can also vouch for Konis from experience. It's just a little tough to swallow the 50% higher cost. Reviews on the Flex Z are super mixed.... some folks with other cars love them but a dude on here hated his set. I think I'm gonna get with a vendor with a decent return policy and give them a try around the summer.
I think you are going to have a tough time returning a suspension after installing it on a car. It would be pretty hard to make it look brand new again. But if you do find a place, please let me know.

Quick Reply: Review Tein Basis coilovers on '13 G37S sedan 6spd