Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Tein Basis coilovers on '13 G37S sedan 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:33 AM
Marcel4t
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kpmikey808
I see on average twins settled about 1/2 inch lower- my front right fuca will hit on bad bumps- can anybody chime in on how to fix that problem?

Marcel did u have mechanic install yours

Post some pics marcel so I can see please
I am going to try the C jounce bushings that came with COs first, they go on the shock.
Me and my brother in law did it. Not to hard a job as far as complexity, just a good amount of wrenching. Took us about 6 hours.
Here is a pic
Old 12-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Kpmikey808
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcel4t
I am going to try the C jounce bushings that came with COs first, they go on the shock.
Me and my brother in law did it. Not to hard a job as far as complexity, just a good amount of wrenching. Took us about 6 hours.
Here is a pic
Looks smooth bro- 🤙

There’s another thread some members talking about switching out shock to Koni Yellows- is yr ride stuff? I can feel certain bumps on road

My front right camber like knock on certain bumps when I’m going to fast or once in awhile have all 5 fam in the car & hit a certain bump

Looking to do sway bars next- is hotchis or eibachs better
Old 12-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Marcel4t
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks! Mine are not stiff at all. It does right tighter. I have Eibach Sways and think that adds some stiffness to ride. I dont know about hotchis. Im thinking unless you race its not going to be that noticable. Maybe someone else can chime in
Old 12-13-2017, 07:08 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
I see on average twins settled about 1/2 inch lower- my front right fuca will hit on bad bumps- can anybody chime in on how to fix that problem?

Marcel did u have mechanic install yours

Post some pics marcel so I can see please
You should still have decent range to raise the front. I know I do.

My rears probably dropped 1/2-3/4" so I got some spring spacers for 5.5" OD springs. I had to cut them a little short to fit, but once I did that they worked great. Actually, once I raised the rear, my FUCA clearance issues seemed to have gone away and I think the front raised a little bit. Left rear corner was sagging worse than the right.

Ultimately though I think the real issue is these coilovers were designed to ride soft on the Z, and we are using them on the 500lb heavier G. I think once these die out I'm either going to move up to the Flex Zs or build a custom set of Koni coilovers with 12/10k springs. The old Flexes look pretty digressive but I trust Koni way more and have learned from experience that it pays to do things right the firs time.

Still though I commute ~400 miles a week on mixed roads and these work great. Well balanced and a great value but there are definitely some caveats.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:41 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Raising the rear will lower the front, not raise it. Weight transfer, ya know?

And upon further reflection, I realize I didn't consider anti-dive geometry. I don't know how much is built into the suspension and there might be enough to raise the front slightly when raising the rear.

A good test would be to get three buddies into your car and see if the extra front clearance goes away when the rear sags.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 12-14-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:19 PM
future62

Raising one corner will lift the closest corners. Everything pivots around the other corner.

Also when you jack up one end of the car the other end lifts too. I imagine the same happens for small adjustments on coilovers.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:29 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by future62
Also when you jack up one end of the car the other end lifts too.
NONE of the nine vehicles I've owned have ever exhibited this behavior.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 PM
future62

So if you raise the front end the rear ride height goes down? I don't think so man
Old 12-15-2017, 02:43 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Weight transfer. It's what corner-weighting is all about.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:50 PM
future62

Weight transfer is different from ride height
Old 12-15-2017, 06:30 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Weight transfer alters height.

Raise the rear, more weight is put on the front suspension. Those springs compress to deal with the weight increase which, of course, lowers front height.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
There’s another thread some members talking about switching out shock to Koni Yellows- is yr ride stuff? I can feel certain bumps on road
Can you post a link to the Koni thread you are talking about. I have been considering the same thing as it might be nice to have a smoother ride on the street and be able to tighten it up on the road. Not sure which springs would work well though.

Originally Posted by Marcel4t
I have Eibach Sways and think that adds some stiffness to ride. I dont know about hotchis. Im thinking unless you race its not going to be that noticable. Maybe someone else can chime in
Gladly. I had Eibach sways on my Evo and the bushings would dry out pretty regularly and squeal like crazy. I tried every kind of grease known to man until I discovered some waterproof marine grease. This seemed to work. Hotchkis sways have grease ports with zerk fittings so it is much easier to keep the bushings from drying out.

Ultimately though I think the real issue is these coilovers were designed to ride soft on the Z, and we are using them on the 500lb heavier G.
Won't we have the same issue with any aftermarket suspension since it will more than likely be designed for a lighter 370Z or G coupe, instead of a sedan?
Old 12-15-2017, 09:33 PM
future62

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Won't we have the same issue with any aftermarket suspension since it will more than likely be designed for a lighter 370Z or G coupe, instead of a sedan?
Well, higher spring rates would help.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Well, higher spring rates would help.
That would make the ride even more stiff. I think we would need better dampening. Then again, it is pretty hard to make any coilover ride well on the street.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:08 AM
Kpmikey808
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Tein basis coilovers w konis

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Can you post a link to the Koni thread you are talking about. I have been considering the same thing as it might be nice to have a smoother ride on the street and be able to tighten it up on the road. Not sure which springs would work well though.

Gladly. I had Eibach sways on my Evo and the bushings would dry out pretty regularly and squeal like crazy. I tried every kind of grease known to man until I discovered some waterproof marine grease. This seemed to work. Hotchkis sways have grease ports with zerk fittings so it is much easier to keep the bushings from drying out.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ilovers-3.html

M

Konis with teins

Quick Reply: Review Tein Basis coilovers on '13 G37S sedan 6spd