Going back to factory springs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 04:25 PM
gyukang2

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
@swisscheesehead

Exactly! if a pothole is big enough, it will hurt regardless of what suspension you have (on this car).
When I drove my g at first, I was pretty shocked that how 50k car have such non-luxury feelings. Because I drove a lexus before, g coupe was very stiff (I test drove g sedan too and it was really comfortable. Very different from coupe). When I drive my mom's lexus now, I feel very uneasy.
Yeah, I know that I would still not be satisfied with factory springs, but I would not get as much stress as I am getting now with eiBach when I drive on potholes.
I don't know.. I am still thinking if I should go back or not.

Last edited by gyukang2; 11-07-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:42 PM
gyukang2

@ canucklehead

I'm not using camber kit either.
I have 19" oem sport rims with eiBach springs.
I am still thinking if I should go back to factory springs or not.
I love eiBach's stance, apeearance, and better handling responsiveness.
So you put swaybar with factory spring and it feels more responsive than eiBach springs only?
Old 11-07-2014, 06:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sway bars will keep the car better planted when cornering, more stabilty w/ aggressive driving but the ride will firm up even more. You will feel more road imperfections w/ beefier sways but you'll regain more shock travel when you go back to OEM so you won't hit the bump stops like you are now.
The following users liked this post:
gyukang2 (11-12-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 06:42 PM
bassy
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
gyukang2, I can totally understand your concerns and worries about Eibach springs on your coupe. I know how terrible NYC roads are. In fact, I never drive my car to NYC every time I go there (from Mass). I always drive a rental car. My car is also lowered with Eibach springs, so I know exactly what you mean. I've hit shallow potholes and mild bumps when running stock springs and I wasn't that worried. Now I'm on Eibach springs and those same potholes and bumps will make me cringe. The shockwaves from the impacts are loud and big enough to probably knock my teeth fillings loose. That's why I now drive way more cautiously than before. I watch out for every single road imperfection on my commute and memorize them. That's why I never took my car to NYC because the roads there are ten times worse than here and I don't know the area well enough.

I think you're better off on stock springs than on Eibach springs. Those potholes, dips, bumps, craters over there are terrible on any lowered cars.

I'm glad I don't live in NYC or I will never want to modify my car (suspension-wise). At least it's more tolerable here. Good luck, man.

Last edited by bassy; 11-07-2014 at 06:50 PM.
gyukang2 (11-12-2014)
Old 11-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Weaverama

+1. The Eibachs are killing me in and around Washington D.C. Yeah the stance is awesome but I feel like I bust a rim (or nut) every time I hit a modest imperfection in the road.
gyukang2 (11-12-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Blazin383

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently swapped my H&R springs out and put the stock springs back under the car. Like you, I really liked the looks of the 2" drop, and the car handled like it was on rails, but it's my wife's car and it was a constant stress about scraping the bottom on everything. Since going back to stock height but keeping the 20" wheels, the ride and driving experience is so much more relaxed. We enjoy the car a lot more with the factory springs, even if it doesn't look as tough or corner as well.
When looking for someone to do the spring swap I got quotes everywhere from $250 to $900. I went with a little shop in Oregon just across the Washington/ Oregon border and he did a great job for less than the $250 quoted because his alignment machine couldn't handle the 20" Fusion wheels. Another $80 at Les Schwab and everything was good!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:02 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Did you get this done yet? We do the spring swap for $300
Old 03-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Massi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living in Chicago, I felt the same way. I'm actually going to swap out my Eibachs and going back to stock springs. I know I'll miss the lowered look, but Chicago streets are pretty rough and I'm always hesitant about potholes and uneven surfaces. I'm so bummed. Eibachs on Ebay it is, Lol
Old 03-27-2015, 05:49 AM
mmnjtwa

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Massi
Living in Chicago, I felt the same way. I'm actually going to swap out my Eibachs and going back to stock springs. I know I'll miss the lowered look, but Chicago streets are pretty rough and I'm always hesitant about potholes and uneven surfaces. I'm so bummed. Eibachs on Ebay it is, Lol
You should go with the Swift springs. I don't notice a difference in comfort from stock (G37S) and I have the better look. The streets here in New Orleans aren't much worse than in Chicago or New York.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:38 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Might want to look into this~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...acer-help.html

Last edited by blnewt; 03-27-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:57 AM
G37X NYC
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
blnewt, your link is broken^
blnewt (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 559 Likes on 390 Posts
I recently added 20" wheels to my Eibach lowering springs. I went with a softer tire (Continental DWS) and a bit larger sidewall at 255/35R20 all around. The ride quality is great - no complaints. The car handles bumps like a champion. My friend has a 2013 G37 sedan in stock form and the ride is hardly discernible from one another. This really leaves me to wonder if the installation has something to do with this polarizing views of the springs. I'm sure there are a few rubber bushings that could be left out that would increase NVH levels, or possibly there wasn't an alignment kit installed and out of spec adjustments are magnifying the change? I have the Eibach kit with front and rear SPC camber kits, and rear toe kit, aligned at OEM specs and everything is great. All of the work and alignments were done at performance shops - no Firestone alignment, amateur install, etc. My install was done at Project X Customs in Chicago and my alignment was done at Touge Factory in Chicago. Noise when hitting bumps is not ANY different than it was when stock. No rattling, boom, or anything of the like. I don't scrape on ANYTHING and no one complains or even comments about the ride quality.

It's just an interesting observation. There are two groups of people: those who think Eibcah springs ride like stock, and those who think they are unbearable. There is an answer to the reason why, I am just wondering what it is.

Last edited by Ryne; 03-27-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:29 AM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mmnjtwa
You should go with the Swift springs. I don't notice a difference in comfort from stock (G37S) and I have the better look. The streets here in New Orleans aren't much worse than in Chicago or New York.
I had Swift springs installed on my x sedan and got rid of them 3 weeks later. The ride was harsh, I was scraping over speed bumps, camber bothered me.
BMWs and Mercedes come beautifully low from the factory without the need to go the aftermarket route.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 559 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by LexiG37
I had Swift springs installed on my x sedan and got rid of them 3 weeks later. The ride was harsh, I was scraping over speed bumps, camber bothered me.
BMWs and Mercedes come beautifully low from the factory without the need to go the aftermarket route.
Have you ridden in said cars? I've driven in 335's and 135's and they are far from fluffy rides...

Low is low... if a BMW or Mercedes is low, doesn't it make sense that it would also scrape...?

Camber is because you didn't buy the right parts... such as a camber kit...
Old 03-27-2015, 12:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by G37X NYC
blnewt, your link is broken^
Thanks, don't know what happened but it's back on track now

Quick Reply: Going back to factory springs!!!