Going back to factory springs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:55 AM
gyukang2

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Going back to factory springs!!!

Hey,

I finally decided to go back to stock springs from eibach on my g37x coupe.
I know it's very very hard for me to give up the great appearance with lowering springs, but i do not want to have stress anymore when I drive on potholes in ny.
Again, I do not want to go back, but i would get luxurious feeling at least lol

Anyways, does anybody know where to install springs back?
I went to a local dealer and they said they need an hour and half for front and rear each, which would be very expensive.
I live in NY!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
South3rn (03-27-2015)
Old 11-06-2014, 12:09 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Don't know how close 180 is from you but they're in NY as well. I believe they're a sponsor here.

Contact | ONEighty NYC
gyukang2 (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
This might sound overly simple, or I may be missing something, but why not just go the same route you went to have them installed?
gyukang2 (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 02:14 PM
gyukang2

@Ryne
I installed Eibach from a local autoshop.
I don't know why, but somehow I felt that they didn't know what they were doing.
Just want to install the stock springs back from more trustable autoshop.
I also want to check if there is nothing wrong with my factory struts since I slapped my car into potholes quite many times after changed to Eibach.
IMO suspensions are directly related with safety issue so I just want to make sure.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:42 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Wow... I didn't think that Eibach springs even provided a crazy drop. Not sure how much of a difference it will make with your car's handling, but my stock ride height coupe doesn't care for potholes as it is. I'd think hard about what you are doing... you might be taking a step in a direction that won't give you what you are looking to achieve.
The following 2 users liked this post by sprix:
gyukang2 (11-07-2014), indowanksta88 (03-29-2015)
Old 11-06-2014, 08:48 PM
GS07

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree the eibachs are some of the closest springs to stock as far as ride height.

As for installing the stock springs and a shop. The same shop can do it, its pretty straight forward. The only things that i am aware of you can do wrong are not transferring the bushings (or rubber grommets/standoffs) and not rotating the spring to the end stop prolly not saying that right but if they have a spring press and common sense, they can do it.
gyukang2 (11-07-2014)
Old 11-06-2014, 09:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
OP, did you combine your drop w/ bigger wheels/low profile tires? If so, the springs might only be part of the problem. Eibachs by themselves should be pretty easy to live with on a daily driver.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by blnewt
OP, did you combine your drop w/ bigger wheels/low profile tires? If so, the springs might only be part of the problem. Eibachs by themselves should be pretty easy to live with on a daily driver.
I have Eibach's on 18" wheels and the ride is far from terrible. I recently drove a stock 335i with the sport package and the ride quality was shockingly similar.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:33 AM
gyukang2

Whether you have bigger wheels or not

Ride with eibach is not as comfortable as stock springs.
People say that eibach is close to factory spring, but it is only when you drive on a smooth and perfect road.
Driving in construction area/potholes is disaster!!
Handling is more responsive and tight with eibach, but eibach with factory struts are dangerous anyway!
Go with air rides or at least coilovers
Old 11-07-2014, 04:38 AM
gyukang2

@sprix

Eibach is not a huge drop, but there is a huge difference between eibach and stock.
With aftermarket springs only, you would never have infiniti's luxurious feeling as you can feel with factory springs.
I never had potholes problem when i had factory springs.

Last edited by gyukang2; 11-07-2014 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Add
Old 11-07-2014, 04:46 AM
gyukang2

@blnewt & ryne

Basically i installed eibach springs first (i had oem 18" coupe wheels then)
Again, it was very similar to factory springs only when I drove on smooth and flat roads.
I could feel almost everything through my butt when I drove in construction area.
Especially when I heard "bam"!!!! Sound while i was passing potholes, i thought my car was breaking apart. This is what i cannot bear anymore.

After 3 months, I installed 19" oem sport rims and i felt almost same as 18" wheels.

Im not saying eibach is horrible or anything. Yes, they look great and also feel very close to factory springs ONLY when you drive on a nice road.
I hate myself driving very slowly with g to avoid potholes in ny

Last edited by gyukang2; 11-07-2014 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Add
Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Though springs and ride height matter, if a pothole is big enough, it will hurt regardless of what suspension you have (on this car). The OEM setup will be the cushiest, but like Sprix said, I do not think it will be the drastic improvement you are looking for. GL.
gyukang2 (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 11:47 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
i too went back to the OE springs from eibach. i also loved the stance, appearance and handling while on eibach, and my alignment was ok without camber kit. the ride was great, and handling was tighter. my big problem was scraping and high-centering on speed bumps and driveways. i hated having to be conscious of how to approach these things, and i know that eibach is a mild drop. i really don't know how people live with drastic drops.

so practicality won out for me. the straw that broke the camels back was when i was driving my in laws around and kept scraping over traffic calming speed bumps. i had to change after that.

after going back to stock springs i added the eibach sways which made a huge improvement to handling, much more so than springs alone. i would suggest the OP look at this option as the straight-line handling is essentially unchanged.
gyukang2 (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by gyukang2
Handling is more responsive and tight with eibach, but eibach with factory struts are dangerous anyway!
Go with air rides or at least coilovers
This is just a blatent lie. Eibach on stock struts is not dangerous AT ALL. Eibach springs were engineered for the car, and for OEM struts. The only sacrifice is that your OEM struts may wear quicker due to the springs, but in no way does it make the car dangerous. I'm not sure why you would even put them on your car if you felt it was dengerous?

Originally Posted by canucklehead
i too went back to the OE springs from eibach. i also loved the stance, appearance and handling while on eibach, and my alignment was ok without camber kit. the ride was great, and handling was tighter. my big problem was scraping and high-centering on speed bumps and driveways. i hated having to be conscious of how to approach these things, and i know that eibach is a mild drop. i really don't know how people live with drastic drops.

so practicality won out for me. the straw that broke the camels back was when i was driving my in laws around and kept scraping over traffic calming speed bumps. i had to change after that.

after going back to stock springs i added the eibach sways which made a huge improvement to handling, much more so than springs alone. i would suggest the OP look at this option as the straight-line handling is essentially unchanged.
I just upgraded from an OEM AWD to RWD sway bar and the difference is night and day. Huge improvement. I have it paired with the Eibach springs and it really makes the car a lot more fun to corner. I'd imageine the difference is just about the same with stock springs, might even help while off roading. Sorry, I couldn't help myself, lol.
gyukang2 (11-07-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 03:42 PM
gyukang2

@ryne

If you say that eibach is made for oem struts and therefore it is safe, thats totally fine for me too.
I mean i heard from some people including dealers that you would have to be really careful with aftermarket springs only. Again, driving on smooth surface is fine for me, but the sound when i drive over potholes..... I think car is really breaking apart!!!

Quick Reply: Going back to factory springs!!!