Just bought BC racing coils

Old 02-05-2014, 11:04 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Just bought BC racing coils( updated with video )

Anything I should note for the install in April? First time ( in my life) I bought coilovers, I usually go springs and shocks, But since there are very few options for the X sedan I grabbed these, for a super deal from a vendor on here.

Last edited by ANMVQ; 03-28-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:45 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Nice thanx man. If I have issue I will take you up on that!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,563 Likes on 3,421 Posts
Story Time

On my last car (2003 Maxima SE 6MT), I had installed a rear sway bar bar where there wasn't one before... replaced the struts with Tokico Blues, added a front strut tower brace, and a rear-strut tower brace, installed Energy Suspension bushings everywhere, including the engine mounts, and at year seven of ownership had replaced/upgraded front wheel bearings, ball-joints, tie-rod end links, and sway bar end-links. The car was tight as a drum, and on top of all that I was running with these amazing Goodyear Eagle F1 performance tires.

Then I got in a buddy's 2001 Maxima AE, who was riding on all-season tires, with heavy 19" rims. He had all original suspension parts, with over 100K miles and a decade of Canadian winters, without any suspension upgrades what-so-ever... except for a used set of Tein SS Coilovers. And the bastard could run circles around my car.

The lesson learned here: coilovers FTW.
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 05:53 PM
NoveL48
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I got the same deal. We probably used the same vender haha

I got mine installed late December... The car rides great. Looks Awesome but there's a clunk in the rear right. Apparently 70% of BC users get this clunk. I've tried everything I can and spent way too much then I cared to so that a shop can diagnose the problem but nothing. Still clunks and while it's not loud and only heard going under 20mph. It's still quite annoying.

Edit: Mines a coupe btw. So you might not have the noise

Last edited by NoveL48; 02-05-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:01 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Any question just shoot me a PM, if you've done springs befor the coils are a breeze, just the rear spring preload, height adjustment, and damping settings are about the only different thing you'll encounter, but those are pretty straightforward.

My ride is bumpy and a bit chattery (Noisy) in the rear with the BC Coilovers. Any Reasons why this may be Blnewt?
Old 02-05-2014, 06:02 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Any question just shoot me a PM, if you've done springs befor the coils are a breeze, just the rear spring preload, height adjustment, and damping settings are about the only different thing you'll encounter, but those are pretty straightforward.
This. Things that can help are air tools or a breaker bar and PB Blaster if your car is a few years old.

Also, don't forget to put all four corners on jack stands (or at least both sides). I recently saw someone on FB who was struggling with removing end links because he didn't raise both sides of the car to relieve the stress on the swaybar..
Old 02-05-2014, 07:42 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I have BC's on my Z. Definitely have the clunk and the rebound is not well enough matched for the spring rates. Hopefully they work out for a dd.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:45 PM
warpeacelove

Originally Posted by rm2342
I have BC's on my Z. Definitely have the clunk and the rebound is not well enough matched for the spring rates. Hopefully they work out for a dd.

"the rebound is not well enough matched for the spring rates" What you mean by that comment RM2342?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

�� some good and some still with the clunk I thought the newer set ups had that fixed couldnit be something that wasn't tight from the BC factory ? Part of the coilovers ?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:56 PM
warpeacelove

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
�� some good and some still with the clunk I thought the newer set ups had that fixed couldnit be something that wasn't tight from the BC factory ? Part of the coilovers ?

I purchased the new BC Coilover and I thought the noise issue was supposed to be a thing of the past, guess I was wrong. I hear the clunk in the right rear side and the rear portion of the ride is bumpy. Someone told me my setting might need adjustment as it sounds like it's set to soft.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
^Perhaps they have heard the complaints and engineered accordingly. I have had mine since 2010 on my 03 Z.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by warpeacelove
My ride is bumpy and a bit chattery (Noisy) in the rear with the BC Coilovers. Any Reasons why this may be Blnewt?
My Megans (which are basically the same as BCs) are a bit "clacky" (for lack of a better term) on washboard type bumps. I've read that the biggest contributor to this is the fact that you replace that very large OEM rubber cone cushion on the upper spring mount w/ that 1/4" thick flat rubber gasket that is between the rear spring height adjusting collar and the body. There's just not enough cushion to isolate quick repeated bouncing that those washboard type bumps cause. I've got some Energy Suspension coil isolator bushings but have yet to install them. Luckily I don't have that rear clunk that many BC guys have mentioned. I've got about 20k miles on my coils and other than the issue that I mentioned here I haven't had any other issues and have been much happier w/ these over my previous lowering springs.

Oh, and Tony makes a great point about raising the front on both sides to relieve the load on the end links, I learned that one the hard way
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 08:59 PM
warpeacelove

My Megans (which are basically the same as BCs) are a bit "clacky" (for lack of a better term) on washboard type bumps. I've read that the biggest contributor to this is the fact that you replace that very large OEM rubber cone cushion on the upper spring mount w/ that 1/4" thick flat rubber gasket that is between the rear spring height adjusting collar and the body. There's just not enough cushion to isolate quick repeated bouncing that those washboard type bumps cause. I've got some Energy Suspension coil isolator bushings but have yet to install them. Luckily I don't have that rear clunk that many BC guys have mentioned. I've got about 20k miles on my coils and other than the issue that I mentioned here I haven't had any other issues and have been much happier w/ these over my previous lowering springs.

Oh, and Tony makes a great point about raising the front on both sides to relieve the load on the end links, I learned that one the hard way

Well Appreciated. Thx.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:27 PM
ninjitsui1

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought and installed my BC coils about 9 months ago. I literally get same thing Novel is talking about. Clunking sound in the rear driving under 20mph. I thought I had maybe installed it wrong and took it apart at least 8-10 times. Never resolved the issue and still have the sound. Sadly, I spoke to BC about it back then and they told me they'd never really heard of that issue...
Old 02-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I thought I read a vendor on here talking about replacing the rear spring set that comes with the bc coils with Swift Springs and its rubber gaskets...I have not seen the update to the test...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought BC racing coils