Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

How do you align the driver seat track rails? Replaced broken seat motor, stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 01:10 AM
k465

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you align the driver seat track rails? Replaced broken seat motor, stuck

I would really appreciate any help.. this issue is driving me mad.

So, I've been searching how to and trying to fix my driver seat for over a week now. The seat stopped moving properly so I took it out of the car and saw the black plastic piece that connects the rail part (with the white gear inside it) to the motor was completely broken and the gear was visible from the outside. I ordered a replacement (motor and all), manually moved seat all the way back on both rails (both rails now sticking out from the back, seat forward), installed the replacement, and lugged the seat back into the car. After plugging everything back in the seat won't move forward or backward.

I figured moving the seat all the way back manually on both sides would ensure a proper left to right alignment... I can't think of anything else. Where did I go wrong? What do I do now to fix it? The seat does not move forward, back, or pivot (as if trying to come off the track). There is no sound to indicate a gear is broken or slipping. It just 'sounds' stuck. The power recline and seat lift work fine.

2011 G37 Sport Automatic

Last edited by k465; 06-09-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:10 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Welcome. Hopefully 4DRZ sees this. He has had quite an adventure with his seat.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:40 AM
k465

Oh lord, I hope it's a simple fix. Dang thing broke the same day I shelled out $400 for brakes/rotors
Old 06-09-2018, 06:49 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Did you make sure when you replaced the parts the rails are on the slider correctly
Old 06-09-2018, 07:00 PM
k465

Well I didn't remove the rails from the sliders at any point and I can manually adjust the seat back and forward using the 10mm nut while the motor is off. I didn't think I needed to do anything with the rails or sliders since they haven't been taken apart
Old 06-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

I guess check to see if anything is caught in the tracks
Old 06-09-2018, 07:57 PM
k465

Thanks I will check tonight or maybe Monday when I'm off and update the thread, exhausting week and this sum bitch is heavy haha.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:17 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Dont forget to put some graphite grease on the tracks
Old 06-10-2018, 01:50 AM
k465

Well I don't know wtf happened but the seat works now. I used the seat lift switch to put the seat all the way down and then as I was taking it all the way back up I heard something like a plastic popping noise - the whole seat popped up a good inch. I stared bewildered and tried the forward/back switch and the seat started moving. It doesn't move super smoothly so I definitely need to grease it up tomorrow.

Anyways, you think graphite grease is the way to go or something like white lithium or maybe even a spray on product? I don't have anything so I will buy one tomorrow and apply it after work.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:37 AM
k465

Update in case anyone else finds this post with the same issue:

When reattaching the motor, tighten the nut all the way, then back it off 1-2 turns. If you leave it on tight, it will put pressure on the gear and prevent it from rotating. That's it.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:44 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Graphite won't let dirt and dust build up
Old 11-17-2018, 06:40 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by k465

When reattaching the motor, tighten the nut all the way, then back it off 1-2 turns. If you leave it on tight, it will put pressure on the gear and prevent it from rotating. That's it.
Hello. Sorry to bring thread back but i believe I am having the same issue.

Is the one in the picture the same one that went out on you? Can you advise on where you purchased the part from & the part number? Any recommendation on installation besides what you had mentioned about tightening it & loosening it? The dealership will not sell individual part but the whole assembly & quoted $5k.

Symptom: Seats (driver) will not move forward & backward. The seats up/down & back lean are working.

Please refer to the place and part number you purchased the part from. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tite_tite; 11-17-2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Kinn Kinney

Originally Posted by k465

Thanks for this thread, it is (hopefully) proving very helpful. I assume you are talking about the nut that also serves as the manual adjustment nut, correct? I had a broken gear housing just like yours that was the result of a nut coming loose in a linkage and the seat dropping into the housing. So this is the issue that started all my problems in the first place. When I went to remove/loosen that nut the first time, the seat moved forward, but only the left side of the driver seat as the housing was broken. The only way for me to get the nut off was to put the track in a bind until the nut would loosen. Once off, I adjusted both sides until I thought they were even. Put in the new motor, reinstalled the seat...and NOTHING!! Just like you said, it wouldn't move. The switch clicks, but no movement. The recline and up/down work just fine. So I tried to manually move the seat forward so my wife could drive it for a couple days, and the d*mn nut loosened instead of manually adjusting (like it did in the first place, causing the tracks to get misaligned. I can manually adjust the seat back by tightening the nut, but can't move it forward. Maybe you know, maybe not, but how can you manually adjust the seat forward if the nut loosens when I turn it? Frustrating! I will try loosening the nut a turn or two tonight and see if that works.

**Update** Loosening the nut did not work. The seat still will not move.

Last edited by Kinn Kinney; 07-02-2019 at 10:12 AM.