Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Carsmo alternative

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by BeeW
If anyone has a set of Carsmo ***** handy, could you take a set of calipers to them and PM me the measurements? I'm tired of hunting and am going to CNC mill some billet aluminium + 3D print the plastic inserts.
​​​​​​
I applaud your DIY intentions. And I was thinking, if you just yank your OEM ***** off the dash and measure them, wouldn't that give you what you need?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:05 AM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I applaud your DIY intentions. And I was thinking, if you just yank your OEM ***** off the dash and measure them, wouldn't that give you what you need?
Originally Posted by Rochester
Probably. The step structure in the above pic is what Im really after. A chamfer angle and measure (from the face) would be nice too.
I'll whip something original up in solidworks and have a prototype in a few weeks... if it works well I may offer these to other members.

​​​​​​As an owner, would you say the weight of the steel adds to the premium feel?
Aluminium (billet or not) is so light it may cheapen the feel, but would match the trim.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:20 AM
Rochester
Administrator

​​​​​​As an owner, would you say the weight of the steel adds to the premium feel?
Aluminium (billet or not) is so light it may cheapen the feel, but would match the trim.
In order to answer that, for comparison I'd have to find my old *****, then remove one of the Carso *****. But I'm pretty sure the Carsmo ***** were noticeably heavier than the OEM ones. Notice how very thick the aluminum is between the OD and the ID. It should be heavier.

Either way, yes, they have a premium feel. Absolutely.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:46 AM
beezy619

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
If you reproduce the carsmo *****, count me in as a buyer!!!
Old 08-05-2018, 06:57 PM
sidestepca
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by beezy619
If you reproduce the carsmo *****, count me in as a buyer!!!
i recently made my ***** a bit better!
so i was looking for a alternative too, like all you guys; and i found a different approach
I recently spray painted parts of my interior, it was a dark gray graphite Metallic, thats the difference, it was very metallic and pearl's which is great in the sunlight
anyway i grabbed the *****, off of the car, and simple spray all of them, maybe around 5 or 6 coats they were looking great! then went in 3 coats of clear coat, and i let them dry for a bit.
Anyway they look really good, and its very easy to take them on and off
I will experiment with different colors and see how i like it, but for now; the ***** take a big appearance in the dash, if colored, they stand out a lot and earn you some hot boy points
Old 08-23-2018, 06:06 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

A lil update:
I've got no access to a machine-shop until mid-Sept. But these are definitely happening!
Going to play with 6061 Aluminium and 304 stainless steel. First batch will be brushed to match interior, then polished if there's enough interest.
Will be CNC milled, with a cast acryllic core.
​core.
Stay tuned for more news and send me a PM if you're already interested.
The following 2 users liked this post by BeeW:
beezy619 (08-23-2018), chinabean (08-25-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 10:47 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
Has anyone tried to get them 3d printed by someone like shapeways?
Old 08-24-2018, 11:15 AM
BeeW
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Has anyone tried to get them 3d printed by someone like shapeways?
When I was looking at getting them printed, my 2 concerns were resolution and material durability. Standard 3D printers struggle with sub-mm details which are necessary to grip the potentiometer properly. Material durability can be had with printing for a slightly higher price (such as sttel/bronze, or aluminum prints)
Moreover the printed products often have blemishes that need to be polished and can leave unsightly circle shapes that can't be removed. This is caused by tthe bronze replacement during sintering in an oven after a metal powder/glue mix is printed. The sintering process also causes unpredictable shrinkage that would render the print useless if it didnt fit the potentiometer.

To achieve the luxury feel; the weight, material finish and tolerances must be top notch. Which is why I decided to mill th ***** and injection cast the cores.

It's a bit more pricey, but guarentees the proper fit & finish.
​​​​
if you'd like to try I'll send you the CAD files if can get a printed set to use as a comparison.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:46 AM
hockeyzbh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I was looking at getting them printed, my 2 concerns were resolution and material durability. Standard 3D printers struggle with sub-mm details which are necessary to grip the potentiometer properly. Material durability can be had with printing for a slightly higher price (such as sttel/bronze, or aluminum prints)
Moreover the printed products often have blemishes that need to be polished and can leave unsightly circle shapes that can't be removed. This is caused by tthe bronze replacement during sintering in an oven after a metal powder/glue mix is printed. The sintering process also causes unpredictable shrinkage that would render the print useless if it didnt fit the potentiometer.

To achieve the luxury feel; the weight, material finish and tolerances must be top notch. Which is why I decided to mill th ***** and injection cast the cores.

It's a bit more pricey, but guarentees the proper fit & finish.
​​​​
if you'd like to try I'll send you the CAD files if can get a printed set to use as a comparison.
so are you making these? if so count me in
Old 08-26-2018, 01:23 AM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Hey BeeW any idea how much you will charge for these if you get them going? I would say you will have significant interest.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:37 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by NW_6MT
First impression: they look pretty cheap. Obscenely light. Very thin aluminum around a plastic core. Wish I would've found the link to buy for $1 each beforehand....
Oh well. Installed they look decent and 100% better than the naked posts I was rocking.
As stated I'm sure everyone's carsmo ***** are great. I'm glad you like them. Unfortunately they are no longer available and my attempt to buy a used set from a member here left a bad taste. For my trouble I lost $40, my stock *****, and the cost to ship them certified to Virginia.
I'll just have to be happy with my aluminum eBay *****. They fit fine and work as they're supposed to.
Man, I really like that shift ****.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:42 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by monytx
Man, I really like that shift ****.
Raceseng makes quality stuff.

http://www.raceseng.com/