Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Passenger side dashboard leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 09:55 PM
Finendandy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've struggled long and hard to try and pull out my plug with 16 inch pliers and I still can't maneuver the pliers to get a grasp on it! I feel so defeated I finally gave up and it's going to Infiniti tomorrow and going to cost me a fortune $$$, but I don't know what else to do.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:33 PM
Finendandy

So I took my G37 to Daytona Infiniti today. It's still there. To unclog all 4 drains (which I don't believe all 4 are clogged (because I already blew the lines) costs $149.99 (there's 1 hr labor in there).

So to replace both front plugs and unclogging all 4 tubes is costing me a grand total of.... $834 plus tax (5Hrs labor, dash and headliner are coming out). Yep. Amazing. Unreal. And they refuse to seal the plugs in or alter them by adding a short inch sized tube to the end or rerouting the tubes. The only thing they volunteered to throw in as a "special bonus" was telling me that this problem is probably going to happen again. Grrrrrrrrr

If I wanted them to just do 1 plug drivers side it's $480. Robbery for it all I tell ya!

​​​​​My Advice: Don't give up like I did! Keep fighting to pull those plugs out and fight like someone just hit your mama with a 2x4 to get them back in and seal them babies up! Good luck everyone!

Last edited by Finendandy; 07-27-2018 at 05:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MStrike (10-31-2020)
Old 07-27-2018, 06:41 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
A dealer mech pretty much has to do it the manufacturer's way. And I feel your pain. Mine clogged again after a year. I don't use the sun roof so I sealed it Gorilla tape. Drip now, ****!

You'll have to use an accommodating independent if you want mods performed.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:47 PM
Finendandy

I'm not paying to fix this again! Going to keep it garage parked and never park under or near trees ever. I never use the sunroofs in any of my cars, so I don't need it, but I inherited this used car problem and found leaves and debris in every nook and cranny from the previous owner.

Good job on your seal fix lol. If there's a next time I'm sealing mine up!
Old 07-28-2018, 01:59 AM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
I realize you already dropped it off, but if it rears its ugly head again you might try just pulling on the tube. The grommet may come with it. Mine pretty much did.
If the grommet stays behind you could always do the reroute hack and just connect an extra piece of hose while it's accessible then thread it back through and down.
Finendandy (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:17 PM
Finendandy

I'm now kicking myself for not just pulling on the tube. I'm not sure why I was worried it might disconnect it from the plug. I really had nothing to lose at that point. If I could only go back and try again <<sighs>>. So next time...I'm just gonna pull hard, and either pray that I can push a new plug in or just simply reroute it. I wish we had this conversation a couple of days ago. Were you the one on another thread who rerouted down under one of the pedals or something like that. I would like to see photos from whoever did that.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:23 AM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
I didn't reroute. I modified the grommet to extend through the firewall and reinstalled.
I believe that was someone in this thread though. It looked genius (and really easy for the passenger side..)
Hope you get some resolution through the dealership.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:09 AM
f4d3

There's actually a really easy way to fix this without touching the grommet at all. You'll need to purchase a 3/8" splicer and 3/8" ID & 1/2" OD tubing. Sorry if there are typos, I typed this on my phone. I don't have any pictures as I did this over the weekend and everything is back together. I can however get photos of the tube going out the AC drain as I need to put silicone sealing the drain.

1) Remove the passenger a pillar, and then you'll have to unplug the tube from the grommet. I basically just yanked it out with pure brute force and let the grommet plugged in.
2) Remove the glove box/ac vent (you might be able to skip this), but I did cause it made my life easier later.
3) Extend the tubing with the splicer and new tubing, make sure you don't use any parts of the tubing that's already kinking, and make sure you zip tie it to be safe!!
4) Remove the bottom passenger door trim, it comes out with a bit of a force.
5) There's 2 plastic bolt-like things that hold the carpet to the chasis/firewall, undo those bolts.
6) The carpet is held on with a few clips on the passenger door side, un-do that and lift up the carpet a bit.
7) Pull on the AC drain tube (it's black), and the rubber grommet.
8) Route your new tubing behind the harnesses all the way to the AC drain, removing the AC vent made my life really easy.
9) Stick your AC drain and new sunroof drain tubing out the AC drain hole.
10) Use waterproof silicone or something along of lines of that around the 2 tubes to prevent water coming in from the outside if you ever drive over high water.
krazyfiend (07-06-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 PM
RoninWolf671

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grommet replacement part

I've been having this same issue with my G35. I've been having a difficult time finding any OEM replacement parts online. Thinking of doing a DIY fix with sealing tape and adhesive. Any suggestions? Thanks

Originally Posted by gannicus
For NW_6MT:
It was the rubber grommet and not the sunroof or windshield seal. I would check around to see if there is water anywhere else, but the GREAT thing is nothing has shorted on you like it has me, so you are luckier than me.

For the rest:
Here are the pictures of the work orders

Workorder when I first went for the problem:

Workorder for second vist:

What the service advisor told me is that the grommet didn't seal flat. What they did was re seal the wire harness grommet with silicone (or something like that, I spoke with the adviser while at work). This was yesterday and he wanted to let the sealant dry for 24 hours so it could settle.

Afterwards, he told me that they had the car hosed with water from every angle they could think of and had it under the car wash water machine for 2 hours. They ran water again today and since they found no leaks I was able to pick my car up after work (5pm PT, and thankfully get rid of that chrysler). We will see how it goes, they warranty their work for 12 months so I will stay vigilant regardless.

I am going to pour baking soda on the floor and change the cabin air filter to be extra sure there is no smell (which there isn't). Can anyone tell me where the grommet is? I would like to take a picture of the work done, even though I have described this problem I do not know where the grommet is (I honestly only do basic maintenance on the car myself, anything complicated I go to the dealer) I figure behind the battery like NW_6MT describes?

Hope this helps someone as there is so much knowledge on this forum.
Krzysztof47 (10-01-2023)
Old 04-08-2019, 06:23 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
Some recent pics from a car in the salvage yard.

First, notice where the hoses go through the firewall - at the very top right under the windshield.

You can see how if the grommets leak, the water will leak down under the insulating mat.

Here's the grommet, the SOB at fault (and you can see the destroyed paper gasket that is the only thing keeping your floorboards dry:

and last, here's a view of the hole the grommet snaps into on the passenger side. Note that there's a drain path (ish) to the bottom, but there's metal in front of the actual spout.

The following 3 users liked this post by rotarymike:
krazyfiend (07-06-2019), Krzysztof47 (11-09-2023), PNW_IPL (02-01-2020)
Old 04-08-2019, 10:35 PM
RoninWolf671

I have since applied an adhesive seal I purchased from Home Depot. After sealing the grommet flush to the firewall, I added and cut out a piece of grey spongy foam to help keep water out. Since then, I have no more leaks. I have also removed the trim and ripped out the padding on the passenger floor board (which were smelly and moldy and hard to clean) and replaced them with a soft foamy bathroom mat from Ross. Works perfect and just like new. Now....time to do the same for the rear passenger side since water also used to settle there (I assume from the same leak). Thanks again
Krzysztof47 (11-09-2023)
Old 05-28-2019, 12:21 AM
photopro
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Leaks Causing Havoc! Time for Class Action Lawsuit

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...lights-on.html

See my previous threads re: problems with everything under the dashboard. My problem was/is slightly different but the same. Windshield replaced by Safelite, causing leaks over the winter causing ECM and BCM problems. Wires were corroded and shorted out causing strange things to happen with the electronics. Safelite paid for those repairs twice, and replaced the windshield. The 1st time i could eventually hear the wind noise coming in the windshield gap which they say was on the bottom. I was with the installer on the last installation and we checked the sunroof drains. I really don't think that's the source. We sealed up the wiring harness behind the battery as it was loose and i could see moisture coming down the harness. That leakage area appears to be stopped as there is no water dripping down the corner of the footwell as before it was fixed. The cabin filter seemed ok. Took the car to the carwash, couldn't stand the dirt anymore; leaked before i got out of the car wash. Water was coming in straight behind the glove box, not the side corner as before with the harness. Checked the cowling that fits under the windshield. I cant believe the car survived since 2009 with this setup. There appears only to be a friction fit, no glue or sealant, and a lip to keep the water from dripping down in the air filter area. This time i noticed water in the cabin filter area, and will have to replace the filter. Does the cowling under the windshield have to be replaced? Has anyone else noticed this area, or had to replace the cowling? I cant see that loose fit keeping water out.
Since Infiniti wont own up to the shoddy design i think a class action lawsuit is in order. Especially for you later model owners!! Mine is 2009 and i thought Safelite was the cause but now i think Infiniti is the cause!!

Let me know what your thoughts and related problems are, and if you are still suffering from these problems. There are probably hundreds of other owners not on forums that suffer from, or may not even know about this chronic problem!! sunroof drain, grommet, or cabin filter intake area, they are all terrible designs that lead to big problems!
Old 07-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have pictures of the hole you now route the driver's side out?
Old 07-08-2019, 04:39 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
For me, Driver's side is a boss inboard of the dead pedal on the driver's floor. There is a hole under the car that matches up with that boss. Drill hole, put in grommet, RTV grommet to hole and hose to grommet. The carpet padding and insulation covers it up without even noticing it's there.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:47 PM
Richey111
Registered Member

2012 infinity g37 leak

I bought a used 2012 infinity g37 and like a month after I notice all this issue especially for rom the originally author of this forum had. Water was leaking into the passenger side every time it rain. Like a damn fool I ignored it and kept it moving. Randomly one day i was driving about a mile from my home the car stalled, everything was ok the car just slowed down and stopped. I changed battery fuses all that morning helped. 4 months in today and 3 bs mechanics it’s in and I realized it was this water issue. I took the car to infinity who said they saw some corrosion on my harnesses and they didn’t recommended fixing the car they said they didn’t know where to start or finish which I found complete bs and it would be 11k Fix. I didn’t give up I did research dropped my glove department box and found a puddle of water in my carbon air filter area (the issue) checked my sunroof drain that wasn’t it but noticed when I poor water in the windshield it would leak in. That area was clogged with degree and my air filter was grossly dirty. I changed all that and now wondering can this be fixed or not.

my car turns over but won’t start all my dashboard and buttons etc work. When I removed my BCM I notice water residue but it still controlled and worked everything it should. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Passenger side dashboard leak