Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Has anyone replaced their standard rearview mirror with the digital compass one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 05:01 PM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone replaced their standard rearview mirror with the digital compass one?

I have a 2010 Journey/Sport with Navi but I do not like the tiny little compass on the Navi screen. Yesterday I had my car in for some minor work and had a loaner G37 (without Navi) but it had a rearview mirror with the built in digital compass that my car does not have.

Can those be easily switched out? Has anyone done this or priced this?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G37NC
I have a 2010 Journey/Sport with Navi but I do not like the tiny little compass on the Navi screen. Yesterday I had my car in for some minor work and had a loaner G37 (without Navi) but it had a rearview mirror with the built in digital compass that my car does not have.

Can those be easily switched out? Has anyone done this or priced this?
G37NC, funny you mention this. thought the same thing. I have the auto dimming rearview mirror with Homelink BUT no Compass.... I also have Navi, compass is worthless - you can't read it... If you find out if there is Homelink Auto dimming mirror with Compass, please post and i will try the same - make a swap if possible.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 PM
A_Palaroan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats weird you guys have no compass because i have an 08 sport 6mt with nav and my rearview has a compass
Old 07-15-2011, 01:00 PM
G37NC

Originally Posted by Almatti
G37NC, funny you mention this. thought the same thing. I have the auto dimming rearview mirror with Homelink BUT no Compass.... I also have Navi, compass is worthless - you can't read it... If you find out if there is Homelink Auto dimming mirror with Compass, please post and i will try the same - make a swap if possible.
Well, I called the Infiniti service dept. yesterday to try and satisfy my curiosity over this. The guy I talked to did not know if additional wiring had to be put in to make the compass work, but he said I could bring my car in and they could switch out my mirror with a compass model to find out. If it works, I'm buying it! I'll update and let ya know.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Doggy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My rearview has a compass, it's a 2010 sport with no nav package
Old 07-15-2011, 02:09 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Infiniti in its infinite wisdom decided to delete the compass in the mirror for all G37 (coupe and sedan) equipped with Navigation built from 2008 forward.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:53 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hopefully the mirror with compass will just plug in and work. You would think all the G's of a certain year would have the same wires running to the mirror, regardless of which mirror they have.
In my thinking using the same wire bundle, to the mirror, would be the cheapest way for Infiniti to go.
I'm looking forward to see what you find out, since I would also like to have the mirror with the compass. I do a lot of long distance driving and on occassion it comes in handy to have to just take a quick look at a 2 letter compass readout to see if your going in the right direction.
The symbol on the Nav screen is useless for my needs.
It would be better if they would just add a small box on the Nav screen with a 2 letter compass reading.
Tom
Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Yeah it's just plug and play. Just search around the internet and you can order them directly from the manufacturer.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:54 PM
maxfinity

I was asking myself this question earlier today(Had a G25 loaner that had the compass in the mirror). I like the mirror compass better. This will be my next mod.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 PM
maxfinity

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Yeah it's just plug and play. Just search around the internet and you can order them directly from the manufacturer.
John,

Do you know of any websites that may be selling the mirror? Also do you know who the manufacturer is?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:40 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by maxfinity
John,

Do you know of any websites that may be selling the mirror? Also do you know who the manufacturer is?
-Auto Dimming Mirrors-

There's where I've bought a couple. Gentex make the mirrors for Infiniti and most other car manufacturers.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:56 PM
G37NC

^ thanks for that link. Looks like this model may work but the website doesn't give you exact info regarding car model.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Almatti

G37NC, any more news if the Homelink Autodimming mirror with Compass fits/works in our cars?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Infiniti in its infinite wisdom decided to delete the compass in the mirror for all G37 (coupe and sedan) equipped with Navigation built from 2008 forward.
I think they deleted it after ’09. My ’08 has both nav and mirror compass. It is unfortunate that they did that as the nav screen compass is difficult to read.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Almatti

Chekov: You're correct. If you check the web site, when Navi is added the rearview Home link auto dimming mirror Loses the Compass. That would appear to mean that the Compass function won't work when Navi is added, I guess.

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced their standard rearview mirror with the digital compass one?