Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Has anyone replaced their standard rearview mirror with the digital compass one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM
G37NC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Almatti
G37NC, any more news if the Homelink Autodimming mirror with Compass fits/works in our cars?
A little news. I called and asked a service tech about this Sat. and he honestly didn't know if it would work or not. He said if the wiring harness is the same, it should work. He said Nissan's & Toyota's typically have the same wiring harness for all their vehicles but Infiniti does not always. He said if I have the technology package, chances are the mirror will be wired for the compass. But, he just isn't 100% sure. He said no ones ever asked him this before and he is anxious to find out the answer himself.

I'll be taking my car in for some new tires this week (hopefully) or next week. While it's there, they said they would plug a compass mirror in to see if it works. I'll report back with my findings.

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:49 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I was JUST asking myself the same thing. The little needle on the navigation screen is indeed useless! 280 for a compass screen on the rear view mirror's a little pricey though. ^ Let us know what you find out! I can't image the dealership's price will be cheap. Thanks for the thread!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:53 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have done this from a 08 nonsport g37 coupe without a powered mirror to a homelink,autodimming, compass mirror.

The install was pretty straight forward. There is a vendor on ebay that sells the same mirrors and can even have temp gauge, different colour leds etc..
Old 07-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Zoomdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made this change on my 09 x sedan. Original mirror was plain vanilla, so had to run power up to the headliner. Made easy using a gadget called "Add A Circuit" (or something like that) that plugs into a vacant spot on fuse block. Hardest part was figuring out the trick to remove the OEM mirror. It's been quite a while since I did this, but recall finding alot of help out there with a google search.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It'll work just fine; it's literally plug and play assuming you have the mirror with the HomeLink transmitter. The compass is contained within the mirror so there will be no problems with that either. Gentex makes the OEM mirros for Nissan/Infiniti so it looks completely original and installs without any problems.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
JohnEnglish: You refer to Infiniti's Homelink Auto Dimming Mirror w/ Compass -replacing the Homelink Auto Dimming mirror without the Compass as the OP posted, right? Does it matter if you Nav? If not then I will also try to see if I can Swap my exsiting Homelink Mirror w/o Compass for anew one with the Compass. But I doubt the Dealer will simply allow a Swap??
Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
I've done this to the xterra i used to have. Go out to an infiniti dealer and ask to look at a used 08 G37 car. Find one with the compas in it. then unplug the mirror and look at the plug. take a pic with cell phone. then go to our car and see if it's the same. If it is then it will work, and just have infiniti parts manager get you a mirror part number for an 08 g37 or buy it right there.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Almatti
JohnEnglish: You refer to Infiniti's Homelink Auto Dimming Mirror w/ Compass -replacing the Homelink Auto Dimming mirror without the Compass as the OP posted, right? Does it matter if you Nav? If not then I will also try to see if I can Swap my exsiting Homelink Mirror w/o Compass for anew one with the Compass. But I doubt the Dealer will simply allow a Swap??
No it doesn't matter if you have Nav, that Nav option has nothing to do with the compass in the mirror. Infiniti deletes it becuase the Nav comes with a compass and it saves them a few dollars per car.

You can buy a new mirror with the compass and homelink and swap it in, the dealer won't care.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:12 PM
buffpatel
Registered Member

Any update on this? Is it truly a plug and play process (just unplug old mirror and then plug new one in and thats it?)

I'm thinking of getting this one for my 09 G37x. Since it doesn't have temperature gauge, no need to install a temperature probe. Plus its $30 less too!

I think I'm going to wait to hear success stories of this swap before pulling the trigger on the mirror.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:39 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by buffpatel
Any update on this? Is it truly a plug and play process (just unplug old mirror and then plug new one in and thats it?)

I'm thinking of getting this one for my 09 G37x. Since it doesn't have temperature gauge, no need to install a temperature probe. Plus its $30 less too!

I think I'm going to wait to hear success stories of this swap before pulling the trigger on the mirror.
I don't see why it's so difficult to believe that a mirror made by the same company that makes the OEM mirror would be plug and play.

If you have the auto day night mirror with home link, then it's just plug and play.

Also, your G already has an outside temperature sensor and display.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:55 AM
buffpatel
Registered Member

Update, just finished installing the GENK45A mirror in my car. It was MUCH EASIER than I thought. It really is plug and play. Literally only took 5 minutes total. Once I got over being scared of screwing it up it was easy. FYI - if anyone is going to try it, the bolt to remove and replace mirror is a T15. Infiniti should have a compass mirror standard in the car - looks so much more classy now.

Thanks to JohnEnglish - I would not have tried had he not posted how easy it was.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 AM
G37NC

Another update from the OP here. I took my car to the Infiniti dealer today and we plugged a compass mirror in place of my non-compass mirror. Works like a charm I am proud to say. So, I think we can all rest assure that this is indeed a plug-n-play option for those without the compass mirror and Navi. The bad news is that Infiniti wants $420 for the compass mirror. It has to be ordered they said. At least I know we have options as to where to purchase these.
The following users liked this post:
goredcar (01-20-2020)
Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Screw that. Go to ebay. You can find mirrors for a lot cheaper. Just as for a pic of the plug in teh back and see if it is the same.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by buffpatel
Update, just finished installing the GENK45A mirror in my car. It was MUCH EASIER than I thought. It really is plug and play. Literally only took 5 minutes total. Once I got over being scared of screwing it up it was easy. FYI - if anyone is going to try it, the bolt to remove and replace mirror is a T15. Infiniti should have a compass mirror standard in the car - looks so much more classy now.

Thanks to JohnEnglish - I would not have tried had he not posted how easy it was.
Where did you order it from and how much was it?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-03-2011, 08:38 PM
buffpatel
Registered Member

It seems that $249 is the price everywhere you look (for the GENK45A). However, I bought through Amazon because I got free shipping from them (everywhere else was like $12 shipping).

When you get it, it will come with a lot of wires, etc... Forget all of that - you just need the mirror. Simply swap it with your original one and your done. Piece of cake!

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced their standard rearview mirror with the digital compass one?