Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Removing Huper Optic, for Sirius Antenna...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 AM
delfin2003
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Huper Optic, for Sirius Antenna...

Guys,

I'm trying to remove a small 2 x 2 inch piece of film from the back of my rear window so I can get signal for my Sirius radio. Is there a trick to removing it? I went to a local tint shop, and they were going to charge me $50 for it. But since the space that I want it to be removed at is very close the the rear of the car, the guy who was going to do it told me that it might come out a little croocked. It also didn't look like he was going to do anything special, because he told me that he will use a razor blade to remove the tint. Any tips?

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Protein Shakes

Huper optik tint, i believe is thicker than normal tint. If you use a razor blade, you will have a high probability of cutting the rear window defroster. I know that to effectively remove tint, you have to completely soak it in soapy water for the whole day. Now since you are only removing only a small piece of it, it will be tricky.
Maybe only soak the top portion of the tint and perhaps you could “lift” it off the window, and then cut the piece you don’t want and place the tint back.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:17 PM
wrathletik1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought because of the ceramic nature of the Huper Optik tint, the Sirius waves would be unnafected by the tint.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
bfranks

Originally Posted by wrathletik1
I thought because of the ceramic nature of the Huper Optik tint, the Sirius waves would be unnafected by the tint.
Nope. I have similar material on the windows of my house and it wreaks havoc on the Sirius antennas. I placed an antenna right next to the window and got no signal at all. At first i thought it was a bad antenna, but once I opened the window I got full bars. I ended up having to mount an exterior antenna.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 PM
wrathletik1

Would this have the same affect on XM waves? I was thinking about getting Huper Optik, but might go the F1 Pinnacle Direction if HO effs up my XM radio.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:20 PM
bfranks

I have cell reception issues too, so I would imagine XM would be the same. I've never tried it though, so can't say for sure.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:13 PM
DGCIALP
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrathletik1
Would this have the same affect on XM waves? I was thinking about getting Huper Optik, but might go the F1 Pinnacle Direction if HO effs up my XM radio.
Just don't cover the XM antenna on the roof of your car with the bad tint and you'll be fine...
Old 05-05-2008, 09:26 PM
DGCIALP
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by delfin2003
Guys,

I'm trying to remove a small 2 x 2 inch piece of film from the back of my rear window so I can get signal for my Sirius radio. Is there a trick to removing it? I went to a local tint shop, and they were going to charge me $50 for it. But since the space that I want it to be removed at is very close the the rear of the car, the guy who was going to do it told me that it might come out a little croocked. It also didn't look like he was going to do anything special, because he told me that he will use a razor blade to remove the tint. Any tips?

Thanks a lot.
Maybe you could put the Sirius antenna on the dash of the car instead.
Cutting the tint on the rear window sounds sketchy at best and if the cut out is not big enough, you may still have drop outs in the reception. I'm picturing the antenna sitting at the rear of the rear deck and not stuck to the window.
Think about how much tint would have to be cut to allow direct line of sight for every direction the car travels, like when the satellite is ahead of your direction of travel. I don't know about Sirius satellites, but XM has their satellite pretty low on the southern? horizon...
If it does work perfect, you may wonder if you could have removed less tint...if you have some dropouts, you'll have to make the opening even bigger!
Also I agree with Black 6MT, the defrost lines could easily be damaged!!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

That's what I though too, but I actually get a weak signal from behind the huper optic. But as soon as i move the antenna towards the roof of the car, where there is a small gap, I can get the reception. This is why I want to cut. So I'll start with 1 x 1 inch opening and I'll try to use a razor blade....I'll let you guys know how it goes and hopefully I won't f*ck anything up hehe.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:33 PM
wrathletik1

Hey delfin, would you say that the Huper Optik tint has a bluish color to it? Similar to the bluishness from the inside of a mercedes? That's the look I'm going for.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
dont do it....
Old 05-06-2008, 09:49 PM
delfin2003
Registered Member

no, no blueish color to it. Its more of a light black color. Looks nice. But don't get your windows tinted at California TInt in Tysons (that is if you live in VA), they did a ****ty job on my G. My brother just got a 335i and had his windows tinted at LA tint in Manassas, looks perfect