Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Sport Seats - tight thigh bolsters - PROBLEM SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 AM
bosssho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the people who find the seats a pain...it's not that you have a big a$$, I certainly don't at 5'-11" 185lbs, so ignore the toolboxes saying that. It comes down to what each person perceives as comfortable or not. Also it's not the side bolsters, but the thigh bolsters and for me it was the fact that the HUGE PLASTIC COATED STEEL BAR that's in there simply dug into my LEG (not a$$) while driving and crushed my nuts together getting out of the car b/c it would shift everything towards the inside of the car when trying to exit....I had my neighbor come over and try and he lol b/c he said he would not deal with that and I had another friend with an 06 G35 Sedan try it and he said immediately he liked his seats better and that his nuts did too....so to each his own.

The best part is when you take out the steel bars the seats still completely work...bladders and all...just without the bars pressing into you. No brainer to do.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 AM
grboggs

I was really concerned after I bought this car ( 2009 G37S ), I drove it home, about 10 hours and the seat was killing my legs. But thanks to the seat mod its like a new lease on life!!
Thanks for the post
Old 02-28-2011, 10:40 AM
bosssho

Originally Posted by grboggs
I was really concerned after I bought this car ( 2009 G37S ), I drove it home, about 10 hours and the seat was killing my legs. But thanks to the seat mod its like a new lease on life!!
Thanks for the post
Glad it worked for you too.

The guy who posted all the pics on line and created the procedure instructions is truly the man so to speak.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:25 AM
DJKrage

Noob... First post.

I did several searches but found nothing regarding my question, so forgive me if it has already been discussed.

On our 11 G37xS, the tight thigh issue has been my only complaint. It looks like this mod will be the solution to my discomfort while driving our car. Thank you to those that pioneered out and found a solution!

I will soon be removing the seat to modify... My question is... Has anyone tried bending the metal braces further out rather than removing them?

Thanks in advance!

Doug
Old 09-03-2011, 08:37 AM
db6

floppy seat after mod

I have a 2011 GX S sedan.
Found the seats uncomfortable, performed the seat mod.
Seats are more comfortable, but the side panels are now too floppy. There is no support there now. There are gaps towards the front of the seat where the thigh bolsters are. The side panel switch cover pop off because the seat side now bulges out when I sit in it. I'm thinking maybe I damaged the trim plates pulling them off and putting them on. Anyone know the part numbers for the switch plate cover and the front trim? Anyone else have this issue with this mod?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 10:37 AM
rs1985

anyone can update on this post ?other than db6
anyone else have any issues ?
thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 10:49 PM
didawatt

Can anyone recommend an upholsterer in San Diego or Orange Counties (CA) to do the seat bolster job?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:26 AM
kkkkken

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool info - and the drivers seat is also pressing hard into my thigh - so I'm thinking about trying this.

One question to those that did the mod - can it be done while the seat is still in the car?

thanks.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:08 PM
J. Dub

You all must have massive asses. I'm 6ft 3 and 188 and I have no issues.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:54 AM
didawatt

Wink

Originally Posted by J. Dub
You all must have massive asses. I'm 6ft 3 and 188 and I have no issues.
Well aren't you special! If you don't have anything positive to report, butt out.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM
G37S-OONER
Banned

Dudes... Im 6ft 275 and a fatty, these seats don't even bother me. Whats your major malfunction?

ikidikid
Old 01-13-2012, 02:51 PM
kkkkken

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad this is back up to the top - can anyone tell me if the drivers seat can be "de-bolstered" (at least the left side of the seat) while the seat is in the car? I'm also wondering if some big azz (pun intended) bolt cutters might be capable to snip those steel supports - rather than use a grinder?
Old 01-13-2012, 03:16 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by raptorius
Yeah, quite literally I have huge bones. No matter how much weight I lose at my size, im still going to be big.
nah bro, your bones aint big, the meat around the bones is big! lol/jk
(im in the same boat as you!)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Nick-L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After a haitus from the G37, I'm back (had a 2008, loved it, sold it after 3 years and 30,000 miles to buy a Mazda RX-8, but now just bought another, a 2012 G37 Sport 6 MT, and am keeping the RX-8 along with it).

For anyone concerned about the long term effects of the seat mod, I can tell you that after 3 years and 30,000 miles, the seats in my 2008 looked and felt exactly like they did on the day I had the mod done - no sagging of the side bolsters, air bladders fully functional, no problems at all.

The very first thing I had done last week when I picked up my 2012 was take it back to the same shop (Accurate Auto Upholstery, Edgemont, PA) to have the same mod done again. They said they've done the same mod on several G37's. The braces are cut out, no grinding seems to be involved except a little to grind smooth the stumps of the braces on the seat frame. They take the seat out to make it easier, you might be able to do it with the seat in the car, but the cover has to come off which seems like it would take more time than just pulling the seat out of the car. It took them about an hour total time.

It also seems the passenger seat is identical to the driver's seat, except for the steel braces. It looks like all Infiniti did to creeate the driver's side 'sport' seat is fit the braces to make the thigh bolsters stiffer. If there aren't any long term problems with the passenger seats, the driver's seat without the braces should be fine.

It's good to be back in a G37 (though the RX-8 is a special car too which I'll never sell).
Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 PM
lucky12500

tight bolsters on G37 Sport Seat

Say - has anyone tried a seat cushion or seat pad to level the seat a bit between the stiff bolsters?
Thanks
Lucky

Quick Reply: Sport Seats - tight thigh bolsters - PROBLEM SOLVED!