Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Sport Seats - tight thigh bolsters - PROBLEM SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:05 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not gonna lie, in accordance with some of the snarky suggestions in this thread - I actually did lose about 75 lbs in the last 6 months and find the fit in the seat much better now. JNguyen knows what I'm talkin about!!! :-)

At my severely overweight status, the seat was pretty uncomfortable though. I was considering this mod at that time.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 AM
bosssho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With me, it's not so much when driving as it is getting in and out of the car is uncomfortable b/c of that steel bar sticking into me...Getting out is especially a PITA, if I don't rotate just the right way that hump in the seat causes all sorts of issues.

I am curious to hear from anyone who's done the mod...if they really like it...like I said if it's both sides of the seat or just the outside, and if there have been any issues long term?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:12 PM
bosssho

I am going to stop shy...by an inch...of saying if you don't do this mod you are nuts. lol

Before anyone gets anything bunched up and upset...I am saying that with a smile.

I just got it done by my local body shop....I printed out the applicable cut and pasted posts from Nick-L from this thread, went to the website from Goadee's AWESOME pic by pic steps...and made that entire thing into a Word Doc with like 10 pages of instructions, and dropped off the car...He did it in between waiting for paint and primer to dry on other vehicles he was working on and it cost me a whopping $125.00.

Needless to say I can't thank Nick and Goadee enough for this thread and their pics. This is why I join forums to begin with.

PS...of course on the 2010s it's ALL different under the seat and the brackets are encased in plastic housings, etc....but it was the same principle to do the job so it was no problem for my body guy and he's never even done upholstery...

Thanks again...from me, my legs, and my rump....all 185 lbs of me. :-)
Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 PM
SuperDave57
Registered Member

Not Fat

I have a 2010 Sport Coupe and couldn't exactly figure out what it was about the seats which were so uncomfortable until today. I had taken the car in for a shifter lock-out replacement and was given a sedan non-sport as a loaner car which I drove around for a day.

I thought it felt like the non-sport seats were much more comfortable while driving but I could really tell when I dropped the loaner off late this afternoon and took off again in my car. Within about a mile I could feel the pressure on the sides of my legs and realized this was what was making me so uncomfortable!

Unfortunately, I'm a bit afraid to have the mod done since mine is a lease and I will probably turn it back in at lease end.

And by the way, I'm only 5'8" and 155 pounds and the seat is still too tight on me.

Dave
Old 12-16-2010, 07:14 PM
beattyG37

Originally Posted by SuperDave57
I have a 2010 Sport Coupe and couldn't exactly figure out what it was about the seats which were so uncomfortable until today. I had taken the car in for a shifter lock-out replacement and was given a sedan non-sport as a loaner car which I drove around for a day.

I thought it felt like the non-sport seats were much more comfortable while driving but I could really tell when I dropped the loaner off late this afternoon and took off again in my car. Within about a mile I could feel the pressure on the sides of my legs and realized this was what was making me so uncomfortable!

Unfortunately, I'm a bit afraid to have the mod done since mine is a lease and I will probably turn it back in at lease end.

And by the way, I'm only 5'8" and 155 pounds and the seat is still too tight on me.

Dave
Seems like everyone has different tastes when it comes to seats. I am 5-10 and 175 and love my sport seats. Hate feeling like I am sliding around on a seat going around curves.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Beer Magazine

I think the seats are uncomfortable and poorly padded. I came from a 335 with sport seats and they were awesome. Held you and didn't cause any pain. These seem to poke right into your quad.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:15 AM
The Jewbag

I think I complain about every aspect about this POS car, but seriously? You guys have a problem with sport seats? I'm 6' and about 190 lbs. and have no problems whatsoever with the seats. I actually think they're quite comfortable. You bought a sports car (or at least, a car that pretends to be a sports car), they're supposed to be bolstered like that.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Atlanta_G37S
Banned

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I am 6'2 and 230lbs. I fit fine, you must have a HUGE ass
HUGE!!!!!! Yeah easier solution might have been to spend a little less time at taco bell..burger king...

Well you get the idea
Old 12-17-2010, 11:36 AM
bosssho

I love all the jackass answers....so helpful.

Anyway, back to the task at hand...Superdave57 don't worry about your car being a lease...mine is too...but no one cares that the seats are modded....and no one will ever know....

As for sport seats vs. non sports seats and fat asses vs non fat asses....My 05 Coupe SPORT had PERFECT seats and did not have this problem...I have had SHO's back in the day with both side bolsters and thigh bolsters and I have driven several cars with both as well...this car's seats suck. Period. They suck because the thigh bolster is comprised of a metal rod encased in hard non flexible plastic. It all digs into your legs and not your ***....and it's worse when getting in and out of the car...no matter what size you are. Again, period.

So...the air bladders in the bolsters still work with this mod and in no way do you now slide all around your car....so there is zero reason not to do this.

Have a nice weekend and good luck.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:12 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
lol they are sport seats. They are going to have that side support.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:16 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm 6'0" 205 lbs and I can sit in the seats fine and inflate the air bladders. Nothing digs into me and I can drive long distances in comfort. No problems or discomfort getting in and out of the car either.

Sorry to hear about your freakishly large asses.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:34 PM
iiplus

Thanks for the post

Originally Posted by goadee
I detailed how to do this with photos a while ago, but the post was moved for some reason. Attached is the link to my work, let me know if you have any questions. Also, bending the brackets will not work; they need to be cut out.

G37 Seat Modification pictures by goadee123 - Photobucket

I am 6'0", 190lbs and the thigh bolsters have been a pain for me on drives over 3 hours in lenght in my 2008 G-37 coupe. I loe everythng about the vehicle minus th edriver seat. I will try this fix very soon.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:01 PM
bluesun

And the kicker on these crappy seats is that when your on a race track they still let you slide around.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:27 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm 6'0" and weigh in at 230, and the seats are fine for me. Maybe it's because I have no asz.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:23 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm 5'10 220 lbs and I do find the seat a bit uncomfortable on the thighs (I'm puertorican so I kinda have jlo booty lol). Will do this mod soon. The side bolsters keep me quite secure.

Quick Reply: Sport Seats - tight thigh bolsters - PROBLEM SOLVED!