Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Sport Seats - tight thigh bolsters - PROBLEM SOLVED!

Old 12-09-2007, 08:36 PM
joshknot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick-L
I have to say, I am surprised and disappointed at some of the venomous and judgmental comments on this thread. When I first posted the comment and question about a month ago regarding the tight fit of the Sport seats, it seemed like several other ("American" sized) people also remarked that they found the Sport seats a little tight. I thought my post on my own solution to the issue would be helpful to others, rather than spark a disparaging debate on 'size'.

I didn't think this was a forum for 'better health for living', but on our cars. Yes, I've gained a few pounds (like 75% of American men) since graduating high school 30 years ago (yeah, I'm 'that old', I perfectly fit Infiniti's target demographic for the car). It's not a question of what is the 'right' size, but, what does a pretty much average size American guy do to comfortably fit into a seat designed for a Japanese body? The Japanese are simply smaller than most Americans. Most men in this country are not built like ballet dancers or gymnasts, with bodies the size of men in Tokyo. At maybe 10% over my 'ideal' weight, and maybe 5% bigger than the 'average' American guy, I didn't think it was unreasonable to want to comfortably fit in a $42k car (absolute weight has little to do with it; at 6'0", even if I starved, my hip width and skeletal structure still would not fit comfortably).

It turns out that the only structural differences between the Sport seat and the regular seat are the vertical metal brace I removed, and the inflatable bolster bladders. By removing the brace, it basically turns the bottom of the Sport seat into the regular seat, though it still has the inflatable bolster bladder which still works. The brace is a vertical member, it is not a load-bearing member. It is designed to provide lateral, horizontal support, not vertical weight bearing - it pushes against the thighs, not hold the weight of the driver.

You never know for sure what will happen long term with any mod. But, it seems that problems should not be any more likely than they would be on the standard seats without the extra brace. The thigh bolster on the seat does not bear any significant weight. The shop that did the work has been removing similar braces on Porsche Sport seats for years, and has never had any problems. As long as it doesn't offend anyone's sensibilities and catalyze another hot debate on body size and weight loss, I'll periodically post reliability updates on how the modified seat is holding up.
I really appreciate you posting this up, as I imagine it's something I'll be interested in when I switch into the G37 and out of my current coupe in just a couple months.

I'm curious- could these braces be bent outwards rather than removed completely? I'm just thinking that I'd prefer to retain some of their 'grip' ability while also making them a bit more compliant over the daily-driven roads. I'm thinking that if the current braces look like |________| then perhaps they could be bent to look like \________/ for that "happy medium."

Any thoughts having actually seen the things? Thanks!

-Josh
Old 12-10-2007, 12:31 AM
volnedan

Since it mostly matters how your body shape is, I am 5'9'' and 200lbs, but not fat nor do I have trouble in the seat bottom My tight area is in the lats. Even after having my previous 35 coupes I still felt like my back was being
squeezed all the time.

This car feels tight, but i think the cushioning is more forgiving than the G35s so i will give it more time. Hopefully in a few months they will break in.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:52 AM
COUPE-DADDY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be cool to see a DIY on this. Can't be too hard.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Kream

Originally Posted by cvt
even asians who live in asia and ones who grew up in the U.S. the ones who grew up in the U.S. tend to be taller and much bigger. i think the hormones in the meat products and milk have somehting to do with it...lol. i mean look at kids nowadays! there are some 6th graders who are just huge compared to when i was a 6th grader.
I hope this doesn't apply to all asians. I was born in Canada and grew/raised in Texas and I'm 5'6" 140lb. And I lovvveeeee food.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
GR8TG35
PEARL DRIVER........

Originally Posted by Nick-L
I have to say, I am surprised and disappointed at some of the venomous and judgmental comments on this thread. When I first posted the comment and question about a month ago regarding the tight fit of the Sport seats, it seemed like several other ("American" sized) people also remarked that they found the Sport seats a little tight. I thought my post on my own solution to the issue would be helpful to others, rather than spark a disparaging debate on 'size'.

I didn't think this was a forum for 'better health for living', but on our cars. Yes, I've gained a few pounds (like 75% of American men) since graduating high school 30 years ago (yeah, I'm 'that old', I perfectly fit Infiniti's target demographic for the car). It's not a question of what is the 'right' size, but, what does a pretty much average size American guy do to comfortably fit into a seat designed for a Japanese body? The Japanese are simply smaller than most Americans. Most men in this country are not built like ballet dancers or gymnasts, with bodies the size of men in Tokyo. At maybe 10% over my 'ideal' weight, and maybe 5% bigger than the 'average' American guy, I didn't think it was unreasonable to want to comfortably fit in a $42k car (absolute weight has little to do with it; at 6'0", even if I starved, my hip width and skeletal structure still would not fit comfortably).

It turns out that the only structural differences between the Sport seat and the regular seat are the vertical metal brace I removed, and the inflatable bolster bladders. By removing the brace, it basically turns the bottom of the Sport seat into the regular seat, though it still has the inflatable bolster bladder which still works. The brace is a vertical member, it is not a load-bearing member. It is designed to provide lateral, horizontal support, not vertical weight bearing - it pushes against the thighs, not hold the weight of the driver.

You never know for sure what will happen long term with any mod. But, it seems that problems should not be any more likely than they would be on the standard seats without the extra brace. The thigh bolster on the seat does not bear any significant weight. The shop that did the work has been removing similar braces on Porsche Sport seats for years, and has never had any problems. As long as it doesn't offend anyone's sensibilities and catalyze another hot debate on body size and weight loss, I'll periodically post reliability updates on how the modified seat is holding up.
Nick-L
Let me say I did not mean any disrespect towards you or any Poster on this thread. That was not my intention.
If I offended you or anyone I apologize.

I only stated the fact from my own experiences that the seats/cushions on the Infiniti line seem to be less than, lets say a Porsche. With that being said, i only wanted to inform members that you could be opening up pandora's box by modifying the seat that way.

It's your car, your seat. If you are in anyway uncomfortable, then by all means make adjustments. Thank you for sharing your modifications as well.

The whole idea of the forum is to exchange ideas/information with each other to better evaluate and expand everyones knowledge about the product.

I also agree that there is no room here for sarcasam regarding ones size/weight......

Dennis
Old 12-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Nick-L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
joshknot, I originally had the same thoughts you did, about 'bending' the side braces. After seeing the seat apart (I should have taken pics but didn't have a camera with me), it seems possible, but with a caveat.

The side braces are already at a bit of an angle, perhaps 30 degrees from vertical. They fit into a slot in the foam of the seat. It seems like one could bend them to a more acute angle, but that would also distort the appearance of the seat - the thigh bolsters would then be "flatter", at a more acute angle than the stock appearance.

By removing the braces completely, the seat keeps its original appearance - there is no change at all in how it looks vs. stock. The inflatable thigh bolsters also still function, though they do not press as firmly (since they are pushing against foam and not steel). The only difference is when you sit on it, one's thighs are not pressed up against immovable steel, but foam and upholstery which has some 'give'. It essentially turns the seat bottom cushion into the non-Sport seat, but still keeping the inflatable bolsters functional.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:57 PM
AlterZgo

Damn you Nick-L!

The super uncomfortable thigh bolsters was what made me choose a G35 journey over the G35S. I sat in the G35S for about 15 minutes and my thighs felt painfully bruised. Had I known this could be done, I would have gotten the S because I really like everything else about the S.

Now, I'm doing ridiculous stuff like buying paddle shifters to retrofit them on my Journey.

Oh well. Great job in figuring out the solution for this problem for future G37/G35 buyers.

BTW, what did the upholstery shop charge you to do this mod? Also, you mentioned the metal braces fit into a slot in the foam of the seat. Can you just pull out the metal braces from the slot? Or did they have to physically cut them off?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Nick-L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AlterZgo, the shop charged $225 for 2 1/2 hours of time to do the modifications (I suspect that they might charge less for anyone else going forward; their first G37S was the "guinea pig", now that they've figured it out, they should be able to do it a little faster). For me, it was the best money ever spent on the car - $225 to make uncomfortable seats now completely comfortable was a bargain.

The metal side braces are welded and attached to the seat frame itself. They stick up into a slot in the seat upholstery foam, the upholstery and foam fit down over top of the braces. The braces are removed by cutting them off, they are attached to the seat frame with a 3/8" diameter rod (it also looks like it would be easy enough to re-attach them if someone wanted to).

Just a thought, but, it might be cheaper to sell or trade your car in for a Sport if that's what you really want, rather than spending $$$ trying to retrofit a Journey into a Sport... The good news is, either way, you'll have a lot of fun.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:13 PM
AlterZgo

Nick-L,

Thanks for the detailed info. Yeah, I thought about trading the car in for a Sport, but I'd take too big of a hit on depreciation. I also personally feel the sport suspension is a bit too harsh. Well, no biggie as I was planning on upgrading a bunch of stuff on my Journey anyway.

I added 19" M45 rims and I've placed my order for the paddle shifters (only $200 for all parts and it's a very simple DIY install). I'm thinking about upgrading to G37S brakes which are a full inch bigger than the G35S brakes. The only thing I would be missing would be the LSD which I don't really need.

Plus, eventually, the G37 motor may make it into the sedan and I'd rather wait for that to upgrade.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:51 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would love to see pics of the difference.... maybe a plain pic and a pic showing weight on the seat and how it "gives"

I also have a large frame...so Im listening...
Old 06-25-2009, 03:53 AM
gennadster

Hello Nick-L,

Please, kindly provide some more details on this modification. I am, indeed, considering performing a similar procedure on my new G37S sedan.
1. Was the leather remove by cutting it so that it had to be sawn back up?
2. What is the thickness of the brace? Can it be cut off by hack-saw?
3. Can this modification, theoretically, be performed at home with had tools and mechanical skills.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:02 AM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am 6'6 and 250lbs.. I fit perfectly.. I could use a little more headroom, but the seat fits me fine..
Old 06-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Renegar

I did something similar to my previous G35 coupe which had the seat controls on the right side as most of you know. It wasn't hard to do at all. I may try this eventually because I too sometimes get a little sore in the G37 seats, but not nearly as bad as the older G35 I had.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
goadee

I detailed how to do this with photos a while ago, but the post was moved for some reason. Attached is the link to my work, let me know if you have any questions. Also, bending the brackets will not work; they need to be cut out.

http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...0Modification/
Old 06-25-2009, 06:52 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am 6'2 and 230lbs. I fit fine, you must have a HUGE ass

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sport Seats - tight thigh bolsters - PROBLEM SOLVED!