Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help identify root cause / problem with radio unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 04:16 PM
masterdukill
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help identify root cause / problem with radio unit

Hi, this is on a 09 G37 Coup Premium w/ Navigation

I suddenly discovered the CD Player, Compact Flash, and hard drive music box stopped functioning together. The options don't appear at all when trying to cycle for it. The radio, navigation, and ipod connector still works fine.

I checked for all fuses and disconnected the battery for a day to see if it would reset anything. So far I couldn't identify what's broken. I discovered the advanced diagnostic options, and it seems to have a red on the control unit, and says self-diagnosis detected failure. It doesn't tell me what has failed though which is the frustrating part. I ran my OBD2 scan w/ torque and it shows no error codes. I imagined if the HD broke the navigation would be broken too but it's not. Any suggestions on next step to diagnose the issue? or get the right error code? or easy (cheap) fixes?

Old 01-05-2024, 01:02 AM
13_SkylineSedan
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
If you don't already have it, your FSM is here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...F2009%2FAV.pdf
Scroll down below the displaying window and " Click here to download a copy" of the pdf.
System diagnosis for your rig starts on page 393 and hopefully will help you figure out what's going on.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:30 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,021 Posts
I 100% agree with 13_SkylineSedan that you should grab a copy of the FSM though, in this case, it will not really help your situation. Whenever the AV control unit comes up RED in the diagnosis screen almost automatically indicates the unit is "dying" and the FSM just tells you to replace the unit:

Originally Posted by masterdukill
...Any suggestions... or easy (cheap) fixes?
Save yourself a bunch of time, hassle, and headache... replace the headunit. Thankfully, there are tons on eBay for dirt cheap just be sure to match your car's year and/ or headunit part number. Keep in mind these units are now 15+ years old so, eventually, most will start failing- even my 2014 is showing signs of aging.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 01-05-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:23 PM
masterdukill
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the quick info. It seems like the unit would need to be replaced, and my only concern is that it "might" need to be reprogrammed if something goofed up and only the dealers can do that. I'll probably live with it as the iPod / Bluetooth & navigation still works. Would there be any other concerns of just leaving it broken?

Alternatively, I also saw they have a few aftermarket add-ons to make like "andriod play" works on the same system, but will it work as the unit has errors? This is just a curiosity question, probably not going to make any changes as it all seems a bit pricy and I'm fine listening to iPod/exhaust
Old 01-05-2024, 05:59 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,021 Posts
As long as the replacement unit matches your existing unit and car there should be no reprogramming needed. In rare cases the configuration file gets erased (usually by folks monkeying around in the settings and pressing "reset" without knowing what they doing) at which point a trip to the dealer or Nissan specialty shop is required.

It is up to you if you want to replace or "carry on" with the old. It might keep on going or die altogether. Nobody can predict that, however, if it were me and you're content with its current state I'd leave it be for now. If it gets worse or unusable then you can pursue other options.

Aftermarket may or may not work with a "problematic" head unit- depends on the system as some utilize the head unit while others eliminate it entirely. Again, cross that bridge when/ if you get to it.