Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tesla Style Screen Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 11:34 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaspeed

It'd be cool to get your Airlift controls onto the Tesla screen.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:54 AM
wowwed
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MNfiniti
The backup camera is only an issue in 10-13 non nav with Bose as far as I know. You have to move 2 wires and wire in a 12v-6v step down converter. If you need the info, I can copy / paste the facebook post.
If you don't mind that would be great. I don't have Facebook. Thank you.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:44 PM
Gaspeed

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Tesla screen install

For those of you asking, I did not do the install of my Tesla "Style" screen. I had it installed by Dustin Eagleton. Dustin is very knowledgeable when it comes to car stereos and I believe he was the first one to successfully install one of these units on a G37 with all the features fully functional. Most of the people who received these units first was not able to install these correctly to a point where some owners blew fuses and caused problems like multiple lights coming on in the dash panel, AC not working and others were not able to start their cars. This all happened because a lot of the owners received the incorrect harness for their car. Other issues were because the harness was not plugged in the correct spot and then they tried starting up their cars which then threw codes and lights on their dash panel. With all that said, Dustin was the person who figured out all these problems and helped many owners resolve their issues.

As far as I know, some sort of modification is needed to make the backup camera work. In my case I have an 2008 with Bose and Navigation and I wanted to be able to view my backup camera any time even if I was moving forward. Dustin found the camera control module (07-09 models) on my car and tapped into that in order for it to work. He also installed my front camera which I can view any time as well. I use my front camera (angled down towards bottom of my front bumper) to see how close I am to a curb when parking so when I air out (I have air suspension) I don't hit the curb and damage my bumper.

For those of you who plan on purchasing these units I suggest you join the FB Group page "G37 owners demanding Tesla Style Screens" and do some research on what it entails in installing one of these units to your specific model/year/bose/non-bose/navigation/non-navigation. I'm not good at installing stereos or tapping into wires or just dealing with wires in general which is why I had Dustin install mine.

The following is what Dustin found when he was installing my unit on my car:

The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 01:39 PM
MNfiniti
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by wowwed
If you don't mind that would be great. I don't have Facebook. Thank you.
Actually, it looks like Asvegen has fixed the wiring harness now for the 10-13 no Nav with Bose. Two people posted yesterday that their harnesses are now correct. Don’t know about Phoenix or any other vendor though.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Dat240zg
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Mine’s In! (Somewhat)

I received my unit on Saturday. I ordered mine through Phoenix - the 2G RAM/32G ROM/7.1 version - along with the Apple CarPlay dongle and harness #4. My G is a 2013, Non-nav with Bose.

The time between ordering (12/26) and receiving (1/5) wasn’t too bad, considering the holidays. Interestingly, mine was shipped from China to their offices in Cali, then on to me - it wasn’t already in stock. With that in mind, shipping was quick! The unit itself arrived without the harness, so my install is going to get redone when the correct harness shows up. As a result of having the incorrect harness, I have the issues that others have dealt with, namely, no back up camera, etc.

I took a lot of pics of the install as the facebook page is fine, but everything is spread out all over in posts and replies. There are several good info videos of installs, but again, they’re not easy to put your hands on. I’ll pull it together in a (hopefully) clear, concise, step by step tool.

I’ll drop the pics and more info in coming posts, but for those of you who are sitting on the fence, I’d say go for it. I listen to a lot of music, so the OEM system was really frustrating (being an Apple guy). There are quirks here and there with the system, but overall, it’s great. It does sound really nice and it does have tons of options. Overall, I’m pleased.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:33 PM
Poly_Pusher
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not loving Phoenix right now. I received my unit on the 27th with the incorrect harnesses. I promptly asked when the new harnesses would arrive since I have Nav+Bose. The reply I got was "we have informed our factory to send the new harness to us yesterday. When we receive we will send to you as soon as possible." This statement is hard to believe considering that they posted about the issue on the 21st. I doubt they waited til the 26th to request more harnesses... I pushed them a bit by saying that I need to know an estimated date and they replied with the same statement...

Phoenix is rather shady...
Old 01-07-2019, 04:04 PM
Gaspeed

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Poly_Pusher
Not loving Phoenix right now. I received my unit on the 27th with the incorrect harnesses. I promptly asked when the new harnesses would arrive since I have Nav+Bose. The reply I got was "we have informed our factory to send the new harness to us yesterday. When we receive we will send to you as soon as possible." This statement is hard to believe considering that they posted about the issue on the 21st. I doubt they waited til the 26th to request more harnesses... I pushed them a bit by saying that I need to know an estimated date and they replied with the same statement...

Phoenix is rather shady...
That really sucks. I don't understand why Phoenix keeps sending the wrong harness for their customers. Also, make sure you check the version of your unit. I heard that a couple people who ordered the 7.1 version from Phoenix actually received an older version which is 6.0.1
The following users liked this post:
Poly_Pusher (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 07:39 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Thanks for all the info Gaspeed!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:19 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Can someone who has this unit installed and running take a picture of how the back-up camera image looks while the car is in reverse?
Old 01-08-2019, 02:41 PM
Tachyon

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
When you say everything is functional can you view the OEM Navigation on this screen?
Old 01-08-2019, 03:57 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Tachyon
When you say everything is functional can you view the OEM Navigation on this screen?
Dude this radio is a complete replacement and is Android based software.

No it's not going to have the OEM Navigation system. You have to use any of those navigation apps from the google play store. Waze, Google Maps, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by qmantran:
jpowersjr2 (01-09-2019), Tachyon (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:42 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Why would you want to anyways?
Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 AM
Tachyon

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
because it works offline, but I guess you can download some your local map
Old 01-09-2019, 02:49 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

True.....
Old 01-12-2019, 03:04 AM
frank37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone post a short video showing how the apple CarPlay accessory works? I would buy this just to have CarPlay functionality.

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Screen Thread