Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tesla Style Screen Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 09:25 PM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MNfiniti
Ok, so yes, the manual controls for HVAC are replaced with new manual controls, and yes, they do still work manually or you can touch screen the HVAC. And they do light up when the dash lights are on.

Although Phoenix Android Radio is a vendor of these, they have been sketchy with shipping times and notorious for sending the wrong harness with the radio. I ordered mine through Asvegen via a group buy on FB, but they do have an Aliexpress listing. Took about 2 weeks, and sent me the correct harness.

I purchased the 2x32, the 2x64 wasn't an option when I ordered mine. As for the 2x64, they are an option, but haven't been produced yet. Talking to Asvegen, they are waiting for 5 preorders before production begins. I would assume Phoenix would also be doing the same thing as they all have the same manufacturer. As for the extra storage, USB jump drive for the win. To me, paying an extra $40 for 32gigs and Android 4.4 doesn't make sense when you can get 7.1 and a 1TB jump drive for cheaper...

Screen quality is excellent, this thing is heavy and feels well made, even the new trim feels like good material. FYI, you have to reuse the vents from the OEM trim, they just snap out and snap into the new one.

Navigation - you can use any navigation app you want; if it's in the Google Play Store, you can use it. I use Google Maps when my hotspot is on, and Offline Maps & Navigation when I have it turned off. Data, Hotspot, Wireless, and all that is NOT required to run navigation if you have an offline capable app.

Ok, I think I answered most the questions I see. Let me know if anyone has anymore questions.
Thanks so much for the info really appreciate you taking time out your day to post this. Thing looks like the real deal.
Do have a couple more if you dont mind.
Where do your "comfort" settings go? i.e auto steering wheel lift on exit, selective locks etc...
and what do they default to if not accesible within new unit.
thanks again
Old 12-30-2018, 02:35 AM
adooma
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bostonreefer
Thanks so much for the info really appreciate you taking time out your day to post this. Thing looks like the real deal.
Do have a couple more if you dont mind.
Where do your "comfort" settings go? i.e auto steering wheel lift on exit, selective locks etc...
and what do they default to if not accesible within new unit.
thanks again
Its in console setting i believe. on top with music and all those choices one of them.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:35 AM
adooma
Registered Member

I seem to be one of the only people having the screen that just dies. So i’ll be waiting till i get mine replaced before putting my legit thoughts about it here
Old 12-30-2018, 04:15 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by adooma
I seem to be one of the only people having the screen that just dies. So i’ll be waiting till i get mine replaced before putting my legit thoughts about it here
Damn, sorry to hear that. Are they sending another one?
Old 12-30-2018, 04:03 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Anyone using tmobile synchup drive for internet service??
Old 12-31-2018, 12:32 AM
Itsjdmyo
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting mod but looks badass. I would be interested to see all the features of this unit. I looked on their website but it isn't very in-depth. In one of the pictures, I see on screen gauges and wonder if they are details of engine info, such as gas, rpm, vacuum, etc...?
Old 12-31-2018, 12:53 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Itsjdmyo
Interesting mod but looks badass. I would be interested to see all the features of this unit. I looked on their website but it isn't very in-depth. In one of the pictures, I see on screen gauges and wonder if they are details of engine info, such as gas, rpm, vacuum, etc...?
Since it is an Android device, I would guess you could load an app like Torque and use a BT OBD2 adapter to get those gauges.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 04:16 PM
ARogers502
Registered Member

Originally Posted by F13SC
you mean like this

Seeing this, I just realized i follow you on Instagram already. Small world. Haha. Yeah I'm definitely buying one of these. Can't wait.
jpowersjr2 (12-31-2018)
Old 01-06-2019, 11:59 AM
Gaspeed

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Tesla "Like" screen

I really like this screen. I have a 2008 coupe with Bose and Nav and in my opinion it's 10x better than oem. Everything is functional including backup camera. I also have a front camera installed now too. Works great.

Ashley Franchi (08-09-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Gaspeed
I really like this screen. I have a 2008 coupe with Bose and Nav and in my opinion it's 10x better than oem. Everything is functional including backup camera. I also have a front camera installed now too. Works great.

thank you so much for all the info man your really help me to close the deal, I wonder can you have the front cam n rear cam on at the same time when parking, most newer luxury car have the 360 image when in reverse, would be cool.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:40 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaspeed

When you place an order for your screen, do you have to tell them what year, car model, w or w/o navigation to get the right screen? Didn't someone said they have a problem with their rear cam not working after install? Did you have to do anything different to get the rear cam working? When you said you got a front cam, what did you get and was it hard hooking it up?
Kanwal (02-19-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by wowwed
When you place an order for your screen, do you have to tell them what year, car model, w or w/o navigation to get the right screen? Didn't someone said they have a problem with their rear cam not working after install? Did you have to do anything different to get the rear cam working? When you said you got a front cam, what did you get and was it hard hooking it up?
Not sure but when i asked the same question to a member who installed his radio, he was talking about getting the back up camera to come on while normal driving, dont think theres an issue with the backup camera during parking.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:21 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Check out this thread if you haven't already and follow it:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...e-radio-2.html

There's some discussion started about the backup camera.
wowwed (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 01:29 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
Check out this thread if you haven't already and follow it:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...e-radio-2.html

There's some discussion started about the backup camera.
Thanks. Looks like I'll have to wait until someone '10+ install on theirs. I have a '13. I probably won't be doing this mod until later this year anyway so hopefully, there will be some updates to the product by then.
jpowersjr2 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:18 PM
MNfiniti
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by wowwed
Thanks. Looks like I'll have to wait until someone '10+ install on theirs. I have a '13. I probably won't be doing this mod until later this year anyway so hopefully, there will be some updates to the product by then.
The backup camera is only an issue in 10-13 non nav with Bose as far as I know. You have to move 2 wires and wire in a 12v-6v step down converter. If you need the info, I can copy / paste the facebook post.
The following 2 users liked this post by MNfiniti:
DrippDroppz (08-03-2019), jpowersjr2 (01-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Tesla Style Screen Thread