Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Remote Start Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 08:54 AM
Blazex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start Recommendations?

Hey guys, new here. I cant seem to find any info on this or who to turn to. Basically, I would like to get a remote starter for my car, but I am not sure if it is possible or not (I heard that some cars cant have them).

The other thing is, is there a remote starter that can use my phone with an app or something so I can just use my phone instead of having a fob to carry around.
I did have another person mention Viper, which does the remote start, has extra security etc..., I have never heard of them and does anyone have this, or would recommend it?

Sorry for all the questions, just had a remote start for my last car but it was something simple and came with it.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:44 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I just installed a Fortin NIST1 into my Q60. It as a separate port on it to plug into DEI/Viper and other range extenders/cellular interfaces, Viper Smartstart being one of them.

My previous car had a factory smartphone alarm/start that was free for the first 6 months of my lease. After 6 months, I didn't bother to renew it. Yes, it was cool to see my fuel level, interior temp, car location, door locks, windows, etc. But I am firmly against paying monthly fees on services I did just fine without, it's how I keep my money in my bank.

Anyways, the Fortin is super easy to install on a G37. Took me 90 minutes to install.
When I installed a remote starter on my 2007 Titan it took me nearly all day. The Fortin is a very good product.
The following users liked this post:
Dinks370gt (10-26-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Blazex

Originally Posted by takemorepills
I just installed a Fortin NIST1 into my Q60. It as a separate port on it to plug into DEI/Viper and other range extenders/cellular interfaces, Viper Smartstart being one of them.

My previous car had a factory smartphone alarm/start that was free for the first 6 months of my lease. After 6 months, I didn't bother to renew it. Yes, it was cool to see my fuel level, interior temp, car location, door locks, windows, etc. But I am firmly against paying monthly fees on services I did just fine without, it's how I keep my money in my bank.

Anyways, the Fortin is super easy to install on a G37. Took me 90 minutes to install.
When I installed a remote starter on my 2007 Titan it took me nearly all day. The Fortin is a very good product.
Is it plug in play and simple, or more complex?
Also looking at it (and I hope im looking at the right one) this doesnt have the cell phone capabilities. I just want to be able to not have extra fobs to carry and just use my phone, I have seen someone actually use it but never asked about how or what they got.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:27 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
The smartphone remote starters connect to the Fortin "bypass" system. The Fortin can either start a car using your OEM remotes or you can also install a traditional remote starter from Viper, and the Viper will use the Fortin as an interface to start the car and reduce the wiring complexity.

Here's how it works:

The Fortin NIST1 is specifically designed to be the easiest way to add remote start to a modern vehicle. You receive a vehicle specific t-harness with it.
On my car, only 3 wires needed to be spliced, the rest were connections.
The Fortin needs to be programmed with a PC, but this is very easy.
The Fortin "hijacks" your key fob security code and re-generates it every time the car is remotely started.
The Fortin will remote start your car with 3x lock from OEM remote, OR....
The Fortin can be connected with a Viper or DEI or Fortin brand cellular remote starter that is controlled by smartphone.
The Fortin is called a "bypass module" because it gets rid of the traditionally complicated remote-starter installs of the recent past. Previously, you'd need a spare key inside the car and all kinds of wiring splices, taps and fancy antenna to "trick" a modern car into starting. The Fortin actually communicates with the car instead of being a spliced-in device.

The easiest way to add a Viper Smartphone remote starter is to use the Fortin to "bypass" the typically complicated wiring a Viper needs. So, you'd buy a Viper AND a Fortin NIST-1, perform a basic install of the Viper, install the Fortin also and connect them using a 4 pin cable. It'd be easy for anyone with experience to do, but if you aren't a technical person then I'd suggest a shop install it. Here's some info to peruse:

http://cdn02.fortin.ca/download/2227...ts_l_22271.pdf

http://cdn02.fortin.ca/download/2012...SmartStart.pdf
Old 10-19-2018, 08:15 AM
Blazex

So nonetheless, you would just get this part just for the bypass for anything. And I have heard of using your own fob but the distance is laughable I was told and that its not worth it for when I need to use it. I guess I will have to look at options for getting one with a cell app or have an extra fob ugh.
Thanks for the reply though. if anyone else wants to chime in and help that would be great too. More options the better.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:26 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
I have the Fortin also with the viper smartstart phone app. I as far as i know it's the only plug and play remote start for our car. You can also use a long range remote in addition to the factory fob.

Last edited by mummy2; 11-12-2018 at 01:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dinks370gt (10-26-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 01:28 PM
ajg382

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know where you live, but I had an aftermarket remote starter installed that allows me to use my infiniti remote. I also had an additional module installed that allows me to use my android phone or smartwatch to start my car. there is a monthly charge for an app to use the phone or smartwatch.

Regards,

Tony
Old 11-12-2018, 01:52 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Me too. I corrected my post to say "in addition to" instead of "instead of". I can use either the factory fob, phone, or watch app.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:33 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Get the Evo One version y'all. The One does 2 way communications with Viper while the All doesn't.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:56 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Compustar is good setup