Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Sub + Amp install problem..

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 03:02 PM
BobbyKasoca

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sub + Amp install problem..

So I recently started hooking up my amp and sub to my 2011, x coupe. And I finally got everything connected and working except im not getting sound. I tapped into 23-26 two different times then I tried tapping into the front speakers and still not getting a sound out of my sub. I viewed multiple threads and pictures of what to do, Even followed a diagram on the wiring. Does anyone have any idea of what I should try next?
Old 07-07-2018, 03:23 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
^^
Defective amp?
No power?
Missing ground or audio signal return?

Bench test it!

Telcoman
Old 07-07-2018, 04:11 PM
BobbyKasoca

Originally Posted by telcoman
^^
Defective amp?
No power?

Bench test it!

Telcoman
Amp should be working fine, I had it connected to my other car recently and it worked great. it’s also turning on and has good ground. Just no sound I’m not sure what to do as of now
Old 07-07-2018, 05:52 PM
BobbyKasoca

Originally Posted by telcoman
^^
Defective amp?
No power?

Bench test it!

Telcoman
Originally Posted by BobbyKasoca

Amp should be working fine, I had it connected to my other car recently and it worked great. it’s also turning on and has good ground. Just no sound I’m not sure what to do as of now
I followed this diagram, first i tapped into the 23-26 two different times and wasn’t getting a sound from the sub, now I tried 33-36 and still not a sound.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:50 AM
smitty37g

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have the wire going to the aftermarket amp high inputs or low inputs??
If you are using the high inputs, you will need to tap into 31 and 18, or the corresponding for the front speakers, which is on a different plug. If you are using an the low inputs, then tapping those wires should be fine.

Dumb question, is the amp turned up??? sometimes we miss the dumbest things.. all the wires between the amp and the sub connected??
Old 07-11-2018, 07:59 AM
BobbyKasoca

Originally Posted by smitty37g
Do you have the wire going to the aftermarket amp high inputs or low inputs??
If you are using the high inputs, you will need to tap into 31 and 18, or the corresponding for the front speakers, which is on a different plug. If you are using an the low inputs, then tapping those wires should be fine.

Dumb question, is the amp turned up??? sometimes we miss the dumbest things.. all the wires between the amp and the sub connected??

thank you for your response. I just figured it out last night. I have a little built in fan in my amp and when I’d turn the car on i saw the fan turn on and assumed it was getting enough power from the remote. The problem is I wasn’t getting enough remote power for the amp to fully turn on. All the wiring was correct just not even remote power being sent to the amp. I had to get the power from the fuse box in Now everything works great
Old 07-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyKasoca

thank you for your response. I just figured it out last night. I have a little built in fan in my amp and when I’d turn the car on i saw the fan turn on and assumed it was getting enough power from the remote. The problem is I wasn’t getting enough remote power for the amp to fully turn on. All the wiring was correct just not even remote power being sent to the amp. I had to get the power from the fuse box in Now everything works great

i've read some amp models (Rockford Fosgate?) require more power for turn on than the bose harness will provide, and you have to go to the fusebox.

glad you got it sorted out ...
Old 07-18-2018, 06:15 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
i've read some amp models (Rockford Fosgate?) require more power for turn on than the bose harness will provide, and you have to go to the fusebox.

glad you got it sorted out ...
All aftermarket add in subs need a power supply run from the battery
Old 07-18-2018, 07:18 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfnazi
All aftermarket add in subs need a power supply run from the battery

i said "turn on", as in the remote turn on connection that signals the amp to power up on ACC/ignition.

yes, the main power needs run from the battery.