Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Nav Screen Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:59 PM
mvx
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Nav Screen Clarification

Question: For the G37 with touch screen navigation, is the screen like a matte type of feel (same as the ones with no navigation/ non touch screen) or is it more like a glossy/ glass type of feel? I need to verify this as many images I am seeing on eBay aren't good enough to tell me.

I am in the process of converting non nav to nav and there are some issues that I am running into. First, the harness is too large to try and fit it snug somewhere, and second, I turned on the system and I wasn't able to get the touch screen working "to the touch" and some of the dash buttons weren't working. I will now be holding off on this project & continuing it later on this week. If you can also help me with this issue, I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2018, 05:08 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
To the best of my knowledge all of the screens have a "matte" type finish- at least all three of mine do: 2 touchscreens and 1 standard.

There is very little "wiggle room" for all of the wiring and connectors. I had to unwrap a few of the looms to be able to tuck the excess wiring in every little nook and cranny. Be creative, it will all fit.

You mentioned that the touchscreen function and some of the "dash buttons" do not work. Which buttons are you referring to? The preset switches (clock panel) or the multifunction switches (dial)? Does the screen power on/display anything?

Keep in mind when doing the swap from NON-NAV to NAV, you must also change out the preset switch panel (the one with the clock). I know this has been the subject of some debate, but from my experience, a NON-NAV preset switch panel will not work in a NAV setup. They look the same, but the circuit boards are not. Been there, done that.

For the record I swapped from '08 NON-NAV to '14 NAV.

It would not hurt to double check all of your wiring schematics to make sure everything is correct. Also, check your connections, any spliced wires you might have and the GVIF cable (display).

Keep us updated.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:57 PM
mvx
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
To the best of my knowledge all of the screens have a "matte" type finish- at least all three of mine do: 2 touchscreens and 1 standard.

There is very little "wiggle room" for all of the wiring and connectors. I had to unwrap a few of the looms to be able to tuck the excess wiring in every little nook and cranny. Be creative, it will all fit.

You mentioned that the touchscreen function and some of the "dash buttons" do not work. Which buttons are you referring to? The preset switches (clock panel) or the multifunction switches (dial)? Does the screen power on/display anything?

Keep in mind when doing the swap from NON-NAV to NAV, you must also change out the preset switch panel (the one with the clock). I know this has been the subject of some debate, but from my experience, a NON-NAV preset switch panel will not work in a NAV setup. They look the same, but the circuit boards are not. Been there, done that.

For the record I swapped from '08 NON-NAV to '14 NAV.

It would not hurt to double check all of your wiring schematics to make sure everything is correct. Also, check your connections, any spliced wires you might have and the GVIF cable (display).

Keep us updated.
Thank you for responding. I attached an image with all the buttons that don't work.
So I finally got everything in place, took me a while but I took my time and was able to get it done. Anyways, I was scared at the time because some buttons (as shown in the attached image in red) did not work. I can’t even use heat or A/C! However, I was thinking that it could be an issue with the panel containing all of the radio/ A/C *****, and after reading your post, I am now certain that that is indeed the issue. When purchasing all the parts, I never thought I would need that since they look 100% similar. However, I must now purchase one through eBay. I will not remove my setup, I will just have to live like this in the mean time. Besides all that, everything else works: touch screen, GPS, sound, etc.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:08 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

The buttons not working is likely all tied to the incorrect preset switch panel. I would still double check the wiring just for peace of mind if nothing else. Fortunately, there are plenty available on eBay and it is super easy to switch out the face trim.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:04 AM
mvx
Registered Member

The buttons not working is likely all tied to the incorrect preset switch panel. I would still double check the wiring just for peace of mind if nothing else. Fortunately, there are plenty available on eBay and it is super easy to switch out the face trim.

Good luck!
Yep, thankful for eBay. I ordered me a panel last night and it is now time to wait. Unfortunately, it may not arrive until the 19th. If I have some spare time until then, I will definitely double check my wiring. If not, I will connect the panel and hope for the best.

Also, do you know if the steering wheel button panel with the one additional button is plug and play? I was looking at pictures of non-nav and nav steering wheel buttons and they seem to have the same connectors on the back. If this is so, I will also be switching the buttons out some time soon.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:59 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

The steering wheel switches are plug-and-play- no modifications needed.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:29 PM
mvx
Registered Member

The steering wheel switches are plug-and-play- no modifications needed.
Great, thank you. I will let you how the swap turns out once I get my panel in!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:34 PM
Superjay

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
what year is your car, and what year is the nav from?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:15 PM
mvx
Registered Member

I finally got the panel and now the system works perfectly. All the buttons work, everything works as if it was never swapped. I guess it is now definitely confirmed that in order to complete the swap, the panel is necessary along with the other parts. Thank you for the help!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:16 PM
mvx
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Superjay
what year is your car, and what year is the nav from?
I have a 2013 Sedan. The nav I switched to came from a 2014 Q60. System works great & I also now have a higher resolution screen.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:25 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Glad you got it all sorted. Hope you enjoy the new setup!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:53 PM
Superjay

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mvx
I have a 2013 Sedan. The nav I switched to came from a 2014 Q60. System works great & I also now have a higher resolution screen.
fantastic! Glad to hear it all worked out!