Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Bluetooth and iPhone Connection Dropping Out

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Avedis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bluetooth and iPhone Connection Dropping Out

I have a 2012 G37x w/Nav and I am experiencing problems with my iPhone staying connected to the car via Bluetooth. I've tried unpairing and repairing the two and that doesn't help. It has been happening previously with my iPhone 5 and continues to be a problem after replacing the iPhone 5 with an iPhone 6.

I'm also seeing that the information for each track stops updating and retains the previous track information or no information after the last track is finished playing. Switching to another input and back will usually correct the problem temporarily but it always comes back.

I don't think it's the phones because of trying two of them but I don't know if there has been anything reported about this issue being the car's fault.

Any thoughts or suggestions for me to try?
Old 04-30-2015, 02:57 PM
G37xsfun

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I have all of the same problems in my 11 g37XS sedan. iPhone 6 with latest software. I tried repairing as well, nothing changed. Screen sometimes doesn't list correct song and Bluetooth stops playing frequently. Anyone else had this issue? I read about the software update from Infiniti and was going to get that installed with next service. Any other ideas?
Old 04-30-2015, 03:00 PM
G37xsfun

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...bluetooth.html
Old 04-30-2015, 03:00 PM
G37xsfun

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB11-040b.pdf

This is for 2010-2011

Last edited by G37xsfun; 04-30-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:00 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Mine does this all the time, Not as much with the phone calls. Its mostly with the directions from my phone and google maps,
Old 04-30-2015, 05:09 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Try a phone reset

Hold both the on/off power button and the home button until you see the phone rebooting

Telcoman
Old 04-30-2015, 06:40 PM
Avedis

I don't have a problem with hands-free phone functions, just the problem I described above.....and I've done many phone resets in addition to unpairing/pairing the phones.

Has there been a firmware update for the G37 covering BT issues that includes 2012?
Old 04-30-2015, 07:20 PM
MJaga
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've had the same issue in my 2010. Only happens once every other month or so, so I've never really considered it an issue. Sure is annoying tho. I just assumed it was a crappy Bluetooth connection or something.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Avedis

It happens every time I drive the car and try to use BT to stream music to it. I have a hard time believing it is a crappy connection. BT 4.0 has a theoretical range of 200 feet. My iPhone isn't more than 3 feet from the head unit.

One thing I'm going to be investigating is WiFi interference. BT operates on the same frequency as WiFi. The WiFi transmitter in the iPhone could conceivably be interfering with the BT connection to the car. I will try streaming music via BT with WiFi turned off and see if it makes any difference.

If anyone has additional input, please post it. I'll try anything.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:57 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Avedis
It happens every time I drive the car and try to use BT to stream music to it. I have a hard time believing it is a crappy connection. BT 4.0 has a theoretical range of 200 feet. My iPhone isn't more than 3 feet from the head unit.

One thing I'm going to be investigating is WiFi interference. BT operates on the same frequency as WiFi. The WiFi transmitter in the iPhone could conceivably be interfering with the BT connection to the car. I will try streaming music via BT with WiFi turned off and see if it makes any difference.

If anyone has additional input, please post it. I'll try anything.
Mine does this all the time. I never have wifi on when I'm in the car so I would doubt it's the wifi receiver, but I would definitely give it a shot to rule it out.

I stream media constantly (Google Play) over BT, and it always has issues updating the track, etc. Usually going back and forth fixes it, but I don't really care. Mine is a 2012 G37xS with all packages.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:13 AM
jjlee206

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had the same issues with bluetooth audio streaming cutting out sometimes in my '11X w/ Nav. Phone calls don't usually seem to have any problem, other than spotty reception areas, which isn't the fault of the car. I took mine in to the dealer to try and have them fix it, and what they told me is that our cars "Don't support bluetooth audio streaming." Which, to me, makes absolutely no sense considering that it is a feature in the car. How is it a feature, but its not supported....? My guess is that maybe Infiniti was sick of fixing them under warranty and decided they needed to get out of fixing them somehow. Pretty frustrating. I just use a wire now and it works great, no cutting out. Although song titles sometimes glitch out and don't show up on the nav screen, but no biggie. Sound quality is also superior with a cord vs. bluetooth.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Avedis

I turned off my iPhone WiFi and it didn't solve the BT connection problem.

I would agree that a cable is superior to BT and that's why I finally bought a small 12" coiled cable to connect my iPhone to the G37 USB port. When connected via the cable, all the connection problems go away and I get accurate track information and even a picture of the cover art for the album. Didn't get that when connected via BT.

I'll try calling Infiniti support but I doubt they'll have anything to offer in the way of a solution. I don't know what version of BT is in the G37 head unit but I suspect it is pre-BT 4.0.