Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Finally some inspiration for that next mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:39 AM
landslide03

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
paratrooper i love your thread! i want to do what you were planning and relocating the screen to my sunglass holder. if i just want to relocate the unit up top with the stock screen is it just one cable that i have to run or are there a lot of different connections? i have a 2013 non nav journey.

does anyone know if the sunglasses tray above are all the same for the coups and sedans. i see them on ebay for 08 and 09 models i dont know if they will fit the 2013 models.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by landslide03
paratrooper i love your thread! i want to do what you were planning and relocating the screen to my sunglass holder. if i just want to relocate the unit up top with the stock screen is it just one cable that i have to run or are there a lot of different connections? i have a 2013 non nav journey.

does anyone know if the sunglasses tray above are all the same for the coups and sedans. i see them on ebay for 08 and 09 models i dont know if they will fit the 2013 models.

Mine and your sunglass holder should be the same, and if your relocating then your looking at extending a wiring harness, with a butt ton of small gauge wires. Other than that it shouldn't be too hard.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Need 4 Speed
The Nexus is a perfect fit for the screen opening. Clever, very clever.

When I saw the Nexus at walmart, it was kind of awkward for the employees as I was making them unbolt it from the security display so I can measure it with my tape measure.. lol

Of course I purchased through Ebay for a slightly used one.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Oxygen955
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dlouly76
That awkward moment you post something last and it kills the thread......
Haha hey sorry. Graduated graduate school and moved across the country.
I installed a charged 7 port hub with easy cap that rca thing spliced in and a USB DAC into the xm sat radio. Worked great. The backup camera worked great with dashcam app. I had charging issues (lost charge while screen was on) so I went back to stock.
I just bought a DC DC buck which I'm hoping will help with the charging issue.
Will post back with pics
Old 05-06-2015, 02:01 PM
yzs4tony

Subscribed........
Old 05-07-2015, 09:23 AM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My setup....sorry for the shaky video
G37 2012 + nexus 7 2013 w/ Timur
Old 06-09-2015, 02:25 PM
adrianp89

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is awesome stuff you guys have come across. You can take this a step in a different direction for an aftermarket radio. The new metra kit is garbage and is cheap looking. The new Alpine Media unit should be an almost direct bolt up to the replacement screen, just a tad deeper. Wire the stock screen into the AV-IN of the unit, and the rear cam into the rear cam input. Alpine iLX-007 Digital media receiver with Apple CarPlay? at Crutchfield.com
Old 06-18-2015, 03:27 PM
MacDeezy

So Paratrooper, how is the audio on the nexus 7? Are you using the stock screen to still control the audio?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:30 PM
MacDeezy

Also, what about all of the options on the stock system as far as door locks, light timers and whatever? Do they reset once you take the system out or do they stay on the last configured setting?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:28 PM
Pollux_Lawyer

I know this thread has been sitting idle for a bit, but I am very interested in trying something like this. First noob question, does it matter that it is a Nexus 7 tab, or will any 7" Android tablet work? I can get a new Galaxy Tab for the same price as a "referb" Nexus 7.

Also curious on what the long term results are. Paratrooper, any buyers remorse a couple years in?

By the way I have a 2011 Journey non-nav
Old 03-02-2017, 07:57 AM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Pollux_Lawyer
I know this thread has been sitting idle for a bit, but I am very interested in trying something like this. First noob question, does it matter that it is a Nexus 7 tab, or will any 7" Android tablet work? I can get a new Galaxy Tab for the same price as a "referb" Nexus 7.

Also curious on what the long term results are. Paratrooper, any buyers remorse a couple years in?

By the way I have a 2011 Journey non-nav
Depends on what your goal is. One of the main benefits of getting the nexus 7 2012 or 2013 is that you'll be able to load the custom ROM on it. The benefits to this is that when the car is turned off the tablet will go into a deep sleep automatically and when the ignition is turned on the tablet will wake up as well as you'll be able to use OTG cable to connect power and an external USB hub. also the method outlined has been proven to work with our cars, I myself have this setup in my 2012 Journey non navigation.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Pollux_Lawyer

Originally Posted by puff2ice
Depends on what your goal is. One of the main benefits of getting the nexus 7 2012 or 2013 is that you'll be able to load the custom ROM on it. The benefits to this is that when the car is turned off the tablet will go into a deep sleep automatically and when the ignition is turned on the tablet will wake up as well as you'll be able to use OTG cable to connect power and an external USB hub. also the method outlined has been proven to work with our cars, I myself have this setup in my 2012 Journey non navigation.
Thanks! Looks like Nexus 7 it is. I am definitely going to try and set this up this summer. Any specific pitfalls you encountered while doing your install? Also did you set it up to maintain the stock screen feeding into the tablet?
Old 03-04-2017, 12:05 PM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Thanks! Looks like Nexus 7 it is. I am definitely going to try and set this up this summer. Any specific pitfalls you encountered while doing your install? Also did you set it up to maintain the stock screen feeding into the tablet?
Yes, i did setup that way. Honestly the only thing i recommend is that you read the step by step multiple times and that you make sure you have everything you need for this project before you start and plan on having your center console disassembled for 1 to 2 days. other than that, good luck.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Pollux_Lawyer

Originally Posted by puff2ice
Yes, i did setup that way. Honestly the only thing i recommend is that you read the step by step multiple times and that you make sure you have everything you need for this project before you start and plan on having your center console disassembled for 1 to 2 days. other than that, good luck.
Can you point me to which step-by-step you followed? I found one here but it seems pretty fragmented. Did you find a succinct one?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:24 PM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Can you point me to which step-by-step you followed? I found one here but it seems pretty fragmented. Did you find a succinct one?
i used a little from this one and some from here https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...nexus-7-a.html

Here is my setup and parts:

Required in order to have indash car-puter
2012 or 2013 Nexus 7
Timur's USB Host kernel for the nexus 7, you will need to root the tablet and install SU in order for this to work.
OTG cable
2.1 Amp charger, i am using a 3 port car charger
4 port usb hub
Micro USB charger cable 6 ft
USB female -male, 6 ft
some sort of ribbon to hold the tablet in place

Display stock screen on tablet
WEIYA CV-04 - will need the plastic connector
FEBON 100 UVC Grabber Card (usb RCA version, the hdmi version is not worth it)
RCA male to male cable

Audio from the table to Car system
iSimple IS31
BestKits BAA3637

Quick Reply: Finally some inspiration for that next mod