Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Finally some inspiration for that next mod

Old 01-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Update: This week i will be trying out TabletTalk for use with my phone for making and receiving calls. Listening to txts as well. I will also be contemplating iHeart radio for my my radio stations, if you guys remember i was just using the same 6 stations on presets since the factory screen was no longer needed. This should allow for more entertainment.

Down the road,...
I lose about 3% battery life each day, even though I'm charging while driving. About once every other week I normally just plug an extension cord up to it in the garage for a few hours to charge it up quicker. I need to eventually use the rooting technique that most of these guys are using to get into the nexus and upgrading the ROM this can allow fast charging, and auto power offs/auto power ons with a multitude of other options for that ultimate eperience. Stay tuned.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Ontario G37S

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
That is an awesome mod!

I have the navigation in my G and even I find this tempting to try. The only concern is the rubber bands will dry out eventually and fail. You might want to find another solution to bracing it in place.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:27 PM
macintos

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Issue for me which I was thinking the entire time was battery life. The -3% each drive would kill me. Would love to be able to drop/slide in, and remove without hassle. Bring it in to charge or use as it was meant to be used, then when going on a trip or something, slide/drop it into the car. Just a dream until the 17" monitor in the tesla becomes standard.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
LOVE the satellite imagery on the nav. It looks like the Google maps on the new Audi nav systems. That alone might be worth it.
Again- well done!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Paratrooper

Originally Posted by Ontario G37S
That is an awesome mod!

I have the navigation in my G and even I find this tempting to try. The only concern is the rubber bands will dry out eventually and fail. You might want to find another solution to bracing it in place.

Looking for solutions here soon once spring hits, there will be so many possiblities to choose from Im sure, i.e. wire, rope, tape who knows! But I will make it proper.

Last edited by Paratrooper; 01-23-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Paratrooper

Originally Posted by macintos
Issue for me which I was thinking the entire time was battery life. The -3% each drive would kill me. Would love to be able to drop/slide in, and remove without hassle. Bring it in to charge or use as it was meant to be used, then when going on a trip or something, slide/drop it into the car. Just a dream until the 17" monitor in the tesla becomes standard.
Found a solution, right underneath my nose, I used my verizon car charger (has a usb port on top of it), and now I gain percentage! So no more dying after 2 weeks. AWESOME! not sure the amperage, but i do know that the nexus 7 wont let you "over charge", a protection feature to prevent failure. I didnt even think of it before.

As far as dropping in and removing with ease, i thought of that as well but couldnt design anything that didnt completely rebuild the dash. It also helps that the nexus 7 is fairly cheap ($158 on ebay) so, i mean ive actually considered buying another for the indoor use...
Old 01-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Paratrooper

Originally Posted by KEG97
LOVE the satellite imagery on the nav. It looks like the Google maps on the new Audi nav systems. That alone might be worth it.
Again- well done!

Thanks KEG, I just loaded up iHeart radio and let me tell you how much of a diiference it makes, I loaded all my local stations as favorites, and some out of towners as well... no need for factory radio anymore!

Video coming soon, including tablet talk, iHeart radio, more Satellite imagery and me driving while using it.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:33 PM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm so glad I found your thread! I just got my 2012 G37x sedan less than a month ago and have been looking into different solutions for navigation and auxiliary audio input. What you have done looks great!

Is the nexus 7 screen the exact same size as the OEM screen, so there is no part of the tablet screen being cut off?

I saw in a post you said you were in Charlotte; I'm guessing you meant NC? I just moved to Charlotte in December! Anyways, maybe I missed it, but how did you wire in the aux audio, by cutting the XM radio and using that input?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:29 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Don't get into this folder much, glad I found this thread, what a killer plan Paratrooper, looking forward to the final setup. Glad you found some solutions for the power drain too. Would you have room for velcro instead of rubber bands?
Old 02-24-2014, 02:53 PM
Paratrooper

Originally Posted by LooksLikeASport
I'm so glad I found your thread! I just got my 2012 G37x sedan less than a month ago and have been looking into different solutions for navigation and auxiliary audio input. What you have done looks great!

Is the nexus 7 screen the exact same size as the OEM screen, so there is no part of the tablet screen being cut off?

I saw in a post you said you were in Charlotte; I'm guessing you meant NC? I just moved to Charlotte in December! Anyways, maybe I missed it, but how did you wire in the aux audio, by cutting the XM radio and using that input?

Yes sir, Charlotte--we got to hang out or something. As far as my aux input,..I got lucky and my G has the rca's in the mid console...so i just used an rca to 3.5mm headphone jack. Thats it, I select aux on the radio and its done. Sounds awesome too, no need to increase volume or anything more than the radio.

The screen is perfect, nothing is cutoff. Side to side there is a few millimeters of black space (not noticeable), its the edge of the face of the nexus. Top to bottom is exact fit, so when needing to drop down the status bar its a tight fit for your finger tip..
Old 02-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Paratrooper

Originally Posted by blnewt
Don't get into this folder much, glad I found this thread, what a killer plan Paratrooper, looking forward to the final setup. Glad you found some solutions for the power drain too. Would you have room for velcro instead of rubber bands?
No velcro, thought of it.. theres just no flat surface to use. I also want it tight against the dash piece so when i poke it-it doesnt move. The rubber bands are holding up well and are extremely tight.. so for now its working.

I realize I sort of abandoned this thread.. I think i owe a video soon, the winter has kept me busy.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:31 PM
LooksLikeASport

Originally Posted by Paratrooper
Yes sir, Charlotte--we got to hang out or something. As far as my aux input,..I got lucky and my G has the rca's in the mid console...so i just used an rca to 3.5mm headphone jack. Thats it, I select aux on the radio and its done. Sounds awesome too, no need to increase volume or anything more than the radio.

The screen is perfect, nothing is cutoff. Side to side there is a few millimeters of black space (not noticeable), its the edge of the face of the nexus. Top to bottom is exact fit, so when needing to drop down the status bar its a tight fit for your finger tip..
Yea, I'd love to see your setup in person sometime. I've almost got my wife's complete approval on the project; I just need to find a good place to relocate the original screen and I think she'll comply haha. I like the cup holder location but, if I can make it work somehow, I like the idea you had better (in the sunglasses holder area).

Not sure how I missed the part about you having RCA inputs. That is very convenient. I'll most likely just have to use the XM radio input.

One idea that I saw somewhere else is to take the back cover off of the tablet and then relocate the micro usb input, that way the charging cable won't get in the way of the air vent. Also, I figure if I'm going to take the back of the tablet off, I might as well wire in a power switch for the tablet somewhere in the car.

Now, this last idea would be pushing the limits of my knowledge....Possibly add in an Arduino microcontroller, or a raspberry pi to the mix, and then use that to interface with the existing buttons on the steering wheel and/or dash. Maybe skip songs playing from the tablet with the buttons on the steering wheel.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 PM
chrismitch
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LooksLikeASport
Now, this last idea would be pushing the limits of my knowledge....Possibly add in an Arduino microcontroller, or a raspberry pi to the mix, and then use that to interface with the existing buttons on the steering wheel and/or dash. Maybe skip songs playing from the tablet with the buttons on the steering wheel.
As for steering wheel controls, I think there is a cheaper and easier alternative. I haven't tried it myself, but it has good reviews. Once I finish up my other mini projects, this will be next. Check out this link:

RcJoyCon - Control Car PC with Steering wheel controls

Then look into your Factory Service Manual under the "AV" Section and find the wires going into the back of the AV control unit that carry the steering wheel control signals. Here is where I would splice into on my 2008 Coupe

Finally some inspiration for that next mod-av1.jpg
Finally some inspiration for that next mod-av2.jpg
Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 PM
LooksLikeASport

Originally Posted by chrismitch
As for steering wheel controls, I think there is a cheaper and easier alternative. I haven't tried it myself, but it has good reviews. Once I finish up my other mini projects, this will be next. Check out this link:

RcJoyCon - Control Car PC with Steering wheel controls

Then look into your Factory Service Manual under the "AV" Section and find the wires going into the back of the AV control unit that carry the steering wheel control signals. Here is where I would splice into on my 2008 Coupe

Attachment 102332
Attachment 102333
Never have I been so excited to void a warranty lol.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:12 AM
smouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any way to do this without my car having the RCA jacks, just the USB input?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally some inspiration for that next mod