Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Finally some inspiration for that next mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteigerwald
Damn women and always wanting attention, you'd think the D is enough...
Wives want the D? Since when
Old 06-05-2014, 08:51 PM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Which version of Android OS are you using? I have been trying to read through this thread and another one and I cannot find what most people use for the Car PC mod. Im new to Android devices since the Nexus 7 i picked up was for this type of mod, otherwise I would have just used an iPad mini
Old 06-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Im using the latest software, is it 4.4.2. kitkat? cant remember
Old 06-15-2014, 12:46 PM
chrismitch
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey paratrooper, quick question... how well does your built in gps work with your installation. I bought an external bluetooth gps assuming that I would get bad reception with the tablet mounted within the dash. But now I'm starting to realize that the built in gps works just fine. How's your experience?
Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Paratrooper

i have had no issues using the android nav on the tablet with my hotspot on my phone turned on. its the same as holding your phone in your lap for nav..
Old 06-16-2014, 05:00 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
picked up a Nexus 7 this morning. I have an Audison bit ten D (processor) already installed with a 3.5mm aux cable ran.

Basically im going to totally bypass all of the factory radio parts.

I have an amp with wires ran straight to the speakers ( I didn't tap into the factory speaker wires.

I really dont even use the factory radio. My audio comes from the 3.5mm or optical input on the processor.

The only thing I will miss is the back up camera. I know there is a mod for that, but I don't feel like it justifies the cost of all the extra parts right now.

I'll post updates as they happen.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:36 PM
charliekwin

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
picked up a Nexus 7 this morning. I have an Audison bit ten D (processor) already installed with a 3.5mm aux cable ran.
I'm just buttoning my installation up, so I hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice: don't use the Nexus headphone output if you care at all about sound quality, because it's lousy. Grab a USB DAC and either run the line out to the aux in, or optical out to your DSP. The latter should give you better sound, though I went for the aux input to avoid having multiple volume controls.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:55 PM
blazeplacid

I do care about Sq.... Hmmm

Is there a stand alone dac that doesn't require drivers to be installed?
Old 06-16-2014, 07:15 PM
charliekwin

If you're planning on doing a fixed install, you'll need to budget ~$40 for Timur's kernel. It's pretty much a necessity, and it includes full support for USB audio -- no drivers required.

I tried two DACS. The Muse USB Mini:
Amazon.com: MUSE USB DAC PCM2704 Sound Card Optical Coaxial Decoder USB to S/PDIF Converter: Electronics Amazon.com: MUSE USB DAC PCM2704 Sound Card Optical Coaxial Decoder USB to S/PDIF Converter: Electronics

And Behringer UCA202:
Amazon.com: Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface: Musical Instruments Amazon.com: Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface: Musical Instruments

The 202 is pretty well regarded and lots of people have used them. The specs on the Muse chip are slightly better, but I doubt there's much of an audible difference. I ended up installing the 202 because the output volume was about +5dB over the Muse, though I have no idea why. Here's what I measured:

Finally some inspiration for that next mod-byweeuc.jpg
Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 PM
blazeplacid

I don't mind spending a little bit of money for better sound.

How did you hook this up?
Otg cable from the tablet... And then? Did you install a USB hub?

Tablet> otg cable> usb hub> dac > optical out of the 202?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 PM
charliekwin

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
I don't mind spending a little bit of money for better sound.

How did you hook this up?
Otg cable from the tablet... And then? Did you install a USB hub?

Tablet> otg cable> usb hub> dac > optical out of the 202?
Exactly. You'll need to use a OTG Y cable (the one I got from ebay has expired, but I think it was http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-Host-OTG-Cable-With-USB-power-fo-Samsung-S2-i9100-S3-i9300-i9220-i9250-/380628860915?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item589f3f7ff3) to get power back into the tablet. Timur's page talks about this as well.

I just updated my build log on DIYMA earlier this afternoon. Scroll to the bottom here to see what I did.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:24 PM
blazeplacid

Originally Posted by charliekwin
Exactly. You'll need to use a OTG Y cable (the one I got from ebay has expired, but I think it was this one) to get power back into the tablet. Timur's page talks about this as well.

I just updated my build log on DIYMA earlier this afternoon. Scroll to the bottom here to see what I did.
Thanks for the info.

I found out that the stock timur rom has most of cyanogenmod still left in the rom.

This means that the "dsp" app is running. I Hooked up my nexus to my processor via 3.5mm and it sounded terrible.
I used titanium back up to completely remove "dsp". It was a huge change.

I was going to go DAC and optical out to my Audison but I may not.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Paratrooper

Might just be me but, my music sounds great through my nexus 7's 3.5mm jack. I'm using N7 player which has an equalizer. Also using MP3 format.

If you guys are running some nice setups then that might be why I don't know the difference. if I upgrade my system I may hear what you guys are hearing.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 AM
blazeplacid

Originally Posted by charliekwin
I'm just buttoning my installation up, so I hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice: don't use the Nexus headphone output if you care at all about sound quality, because it's lousy. Grab a USB DAC and either run the line out to the aux in, or optical out to your DSP. The latter should give you better sound, though I went for the aux input to avoid having multiple volume controls.

I was wrong.

The DAC helps alot.

Even the headphone out makes a huge difference when running it though the DAC.

Im using the optical out and it sounds amazing. It really makes my entire set up sound much more detailed.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Need 4 Speed

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
The Nexus is a perfect fit for the screen opening. Clever, very clever.

Quick Reply: Finally some inspiration for that next mod