Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Review Mini-review of BlackVue Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:18 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Mini-review of BlackVue Dash Cam

This is just a condensed version, folks. For the full write-up with more photos and some video clips, please head out to Mini-review of the BlackVue DR400G-HD II Dash Cam

--------

After several instances where my car was hit while parked, and several near-instances with crazy drivers and pedestrians, I set out in search for a dashcam that worked well and doesn’t scream “look at me!”

After months of searching I found BlackVue. The initial reviews were OK, with the major issue being that it overheated. Fast forward to a few months and they released a Version II which supposedly fixes that issue. This is the one I’m reviewing.

At-a-glance:

• It’s compact and easily hidden
  • With an extra battery-saver module, can run unattended with the car off (auto-parking mode)
  • Full HD video (1920×1080@30fps, H.264/mp4) + audio recording
  • Full-featured Android app (does everything the desktop application does, plus a few mobile features.)
  • 120/98 hor/vert angle
  • Built-in GPS
  • 3-way G sensor
  • Voice guidance
  • Using MyWay viewer, can do a video search of the video.
  • Real-time video monitor (video out, useful for those with 2007’s which has the Vid-In ports)
  • Includes 16gb microSD card, software, mounts, *really long* cigarette power plug, video cables, SD card reader and extra mounting adhesives.

The unit is very svelt and easy to work with. It’s like an over-sized lipstick. There is only one “button” which you only press to manually activate parking monitoring, otherwise even that part is automatic and the button is just for lighting effects as it allows you to choose the best LED color to match your interior lighting. If you’re completely into stealth, the light on that and the GPS/Recording button can be completely turned off as well.

The video's daytime clarity is as good, if not better, than any other portable camera in the same price range and form factor. And from what i’ve seen, certainly a step above most dash cam products currently in the market.

Night videos are also still relatively clean with very little noise.

Nits. Other than the fact that I had to order this from Korea, which means the manual is in Korean, there’s nothing bad to be said about the unit at the moment. The manual issue is easily rectified by downloading the English version anyway.

Sample video clips and a further notes about the unit, please head out to the Shack.
Mini-review of the BlackVue DR400G-HD II Dash Cam

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM
BuckNorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pretty cool. lotta good reasons to have this. be even cooler if the set up/app had a live stream function.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my girlfriend has one in her Z...she absolutely loves it! the quality is superb except the fact that version 1 overheats....version 2 uses the same cooling system as the 380...however, the difference between version 1 and version 2 is the night vision....version 1 has better night vision while version 2's night vision is sacrificed.....

regardless, the quality is amazing, and i'm thinking of picking one up as well...i love the fact that you can read license plates off other cars! my made in china one can't, it's a complete blur when it comes to the finer details...

btw, you should pick up the power magic to prevent it from over discharging your battery.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:53 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
^ Big reason i waited and skipped V1 altogether. This one still gets warm, but so far so good. I hope it works without a glitch, long-term.

Night videos so far have looked pretty good as long as there's at least some type of street light on. In totally dark roads where it's just your headlights, the video is still OK, but the WB seems to get confused by the HID's so the light hitting the ground turns a variety of shades of white from faint yellow to faint blue. Otherwise, it's still very clean and relatively noise-free.

It's currently just plugged in the lighter socket, so it turns off when the car is off. Will pick up the PM soon!