Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Bluetooth Microphone issues -- Technical Bulletin ITB11-040b

Old 01-03-2012, 09:23 AM
BB_Sam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth Microphone issues -- Technical Bulletin ITB11-040b

I have found a number of threads where people complain of issues with the quality of the bluetooth microphone -- my biggest issue is people saying that my voice is all choppy.

My vehicle is a 2011 G37 IPL - nearly new! I never had this issue with my 08 G37S so I was not convinced the problem (as others have suggested) is with the phone (I'm using the same BB Torch). I came across the Technical Bulletin ITB11-040b:

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB11-040b.pdf

Has anyone relied on this claim? Did it fix the problem? Was it easy to get them to fix the problem?

Last edited by BB_Sam; 01-03-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BB_Sam
I have found a number of threads where people complain of issues with the quality of the bluetooth microphone -- my biggest issue is people saying that my voice is all choppy.

My vehicle is a 2011 G37 IPL - nearly new! I never had this issue with my 08 G37S so I was not convinced the problem (as others have suggested) is with the phone (I'm using the same BB Torch). I came across the Technical Bulletin ITB11-040b:

Has anyone relied on this claim? Did it fix the problem? Was it easy to get them to fix the problem?
What I noticed was that the mic is extremely sensitive so if I had the gain up too high, the mic distorted and people said I sounded choppy. They would also say my voice was choppy if I elevated my voice any at all. The solution I came up with was the turn the gain down all the way on the mic then bump it up two ticks. This was the perfect amount of gain for me. Try this and see if it works. Also when you speak try to use a very normal or low indoor voice. This seemed to work the best for me. Good luck with your Bluetooth. It is finicky as hell. I can attest to that.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
My callers have not noticed an issue.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:25 AM
BB_Sam

So, the dealership was relatively easy going about this. I showed them the TSB and they actually produced a newer version ITB11-040c -- it came out in November 2011. Not sure what it told them to do, but from my invoice it looks like they reloaded the software. It seems to have helped with my initial problem of sounding choppy -- although, I now have two new problems: (1) I'm now being told I sound like a robot -- my voice sounds computer like and (2) even if I put the volume on max -- it is not as loud as it used to be.

A totally unrelated issue that I only now realized is that I cannot see call waiting calls on the navigation screen (i hear the beep that there's a call but there's no way to switch to the call??). I noticed that this is a HUGE issue that people have complained about for the 2010 models -- to the point that a TB was issued for certain model and years but my 2011 G37 Coupe is not listed on this TB. Worse yet, on the Infiniti Canada website under "using Call Waiting" it says:

"The Infiniti Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System is designed to support only major calling functions such as making, accepting, and ending phone calls, hands-free."

This is INSANE!!! They're selling a $60k car (Canadian) and they don't offer call waiting??? what's worse is that my 2008 G37 had call waiting. So, essentially Infiniti is the only manufacturer that is regressing technologically???
Old 01-15-2012, 11:44 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
So, the dealership was relatively easy going about this. I showed them the TSB and they actually produced a newer version ITB11-040c -- it came out in November 2011. Not sure what it told them to do, but from my invoice it looks like they reloaded the software. It seems to have helped with my initial problem of sounding choppy -- although, I now have two new problems: (1) I'm now being told I sound like a robot -- my voice sounds computer like and (2) even if I put the volume on max -- it is not as loud as it used to be.

A totally unrelated issue that I only now realized is that I cannot see call waiting calls on the navigation screen (i hear the beep that there's a call but there's no way to switch to the call??). I noticed that this is a HUGE issue that people have complained about for the 2010 models -- to the point that a TB was issued for certain model and years but my 2011 G37 Coupe is not listed on this TB. Worse yet, on the Infiniti Canada website under "using Call Waiting" it says:

"The Infiniti Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System is designed to support only major calling functions such as making, accepting, and ending phone calls, hands-free."

This is INSANE!!! They're selling a $60k car (Canadian) and they don't offer call waiting??? what's worse is that my 2008 G37 had call waiting. So, essentially Infiniti is the only manufacturer that is regressing technologically???
Could this be a Canadian legal issue, not Infiniti??
Old 01-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Yes I can see who is calling when a second call comes in. At least I think I have seen it in the past. Maybe I will try it out and have my daughter and wife call me to verify.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:36 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hinomura
What I noticed was that the mic is extremely sensitive so if I had the gain up too high, the mic distorted and people said I sounded choppy. They would also say my voice was choppy if I elevated my voice any at all. The solution I came up with was the turn the gain down all the way on the mic then bump it up two ticks.
How do you adjust the gain on the bluetooth microphone? I haven't seen this ability.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
How do you adjust the gain on the bluetooth microphone? I haven't seen this ability.
On my '11, I haven't seen the setting for this, unless it's buried in the diagnostics.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:15 AM
JbabsG37
Registered Member

Any more info on this? Have'n call quality issues with Bluetooth and iPhone 4 in my 2011 g37 vert. People on the other end have trouble hearing me.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM
adw234

In the settings menu - either Bluetooth or Phone (sorry, I forget), there is a volume level option for both incoming and outgoing. My service rep recommended that I try lowering the outgoing volume (I mentioned issues, but did not provide a TSB). I did this, in additional to the service rep resetting my entire audio/nav system. I tested it twice (top up and down). With the top up, the person on the other end of the call noticed a difference than usual. Bluetooth calling was still pretty bad with the top down.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had this problem but the tsb fixed it. I no longer get any complaints.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:39 PM
JC-RH
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Anyone else have any input on this? I swapped from an IPhone 6 Plus to an iPhone X and now I’m having issues. Sometimes, not always, the voice cuts in and out making it impossible to have a conversation.

I went to the dealer, and they told me about ITB11-040d. They’re quoting me $100 for the system update.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:59 PM
interrupt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$100? mine wants to charge me $150
Old 01-03-2018, 09:47 PM
enigmacarpc
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JC-RH
Anyone else have any input on this? I swapped from an IPhone 6 Plus to an iPhone X and now I’m having issues. Sometimes, not always, the voice cuts in and out making it impossible to have a conversation.

I went to the dealer, and they told me about ITB11-040d. They’re quoting me $100 for the system update.
At this point, the 2012 service fix will not help its IOS 11 that's causing the issue please search the threads for the ongoing issue everyone is facing.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:33 AM
Raffi D
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hate to revive the dead but I found a voice command adaptation setting which seems to have helped my choppiness significantly. I deleted the prior owners voice adaptation from the memory and performed all the tests under my voice. So far, it has helped clear up a lot of the choppiness! Crossing my fingers I didn't jinx myself because I've been trying to find a fix for this for a while.