Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Navigation problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
I have the Navi with XM Traffic. Do you guys find that it is providing by announcing the traffic alerts. Is Navi supposed to provide a recalculated route to by pass the Traffic on your route?

Does it provide Traffic alerts even if you do not have a route up or in the Map screen? The XM Weather (which I dropped) did offer weather alerts every time you started the car.?

Any info is much appreciated............BTW, a some newer TOM TOM GPS' [don't know about the Garmins], DO offer true traffic alerts and avoidance manuvers.
If you look on XM nav traffics website it will show you what areas are "flow and incident" ready and what areas are just "incident" ready.

If its flow and incident ready, when you are on a route you'll see green, yellow, red on the road itself signifying traffic flow. Incidents will flash briefly on the screen and the nav system will recalculate. Its a VERY cool setup, and saved me from sitting in a 26 mile backup on the way home from Richmond VA to CT (I was going to avoid the backup anyway, but I wanted to see how the nav system would handle it)

Its expensive though. But I think you can do month to month, so traffic is something Id really only need when going on a long trip (99.9% of the time thats on summer vacation) so I could probably "rent" it for a month for whatever it costs.

Im not quite sure what the weather setup gives you, aside from the girl in the nav system telling me about winter storm warnings "near my current location".
Old 01-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Falcons023

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The POI (Point of Interest) is garbage in my 2011 G37. I look for a McDonald's on a highway...and it says the closest is 240 miles. I have bad experience looking for places which are very common.

I stopped using it. I use my smartphone to get the address and then feed into Nav. Hopefully, this gets fixed soon
Old 01-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Gobbler Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POI on GPS services is always hit and miss. I typically look up an address on my phone and go with that. GPS units are very reliable when you have an actual address.