Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Navigation problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:33 PM
ged1067

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation problems

Hiya all...got a missive from Infiniti offering me an update for $150(don't remember the exact amount)...I responded: are you kidding!

I looked for Home Depot here near home in south Florida...got two in Ga and one in SC 621 miles from here.

Looked for Fedex and they had me running all over this area and I finally gave it to a truck that I flagged down.

Looks pretty when it works...when it works.

GED
Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 AM
taskmaxter

That's strange that it is sending you all over the place. I have a 2011 with navigation, and I find a few of the roads are missing around where I live and the roads have been there for over 5 years. Seems like an old version of the map software was put into our cars.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:59 AM
esfoad

All manufacturers use map services who provide the maps. I'm not sure who Nissan/Infiniti uses but Ford uses NAVTEQ. It is that vendor who is responsible for the updates. However, your system should work correctly no matter who provides the maps. Simple local destinations like Home Depot or FEDEX should be no problem.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:11 PM
madmax2k1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ged1067
Hiya all...got a missive from Infiniti offering me an update for $150(don't remember the exact amount)...I responded: are you kidding!

I looked for Home Depot here near home in south Florida...got two in Ga and one in SC 621 miles from here.

Looked for Fedex and they had me running all over this area and I finally gave it to a truck that I flagged down.

Looks pretty when it works...when it works.

GED
Did you look for POI (Point of Interest) by Name? It happened to me too, I looked for Costco in my area, and it directed me to one 120 miles away. I think it's a bug in the navigation logic or the POI are not up to date. It works fine if you type in the destination address.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Chico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you're doing a search by name, make sure you select Search around current area first. You can also sort the results by distance.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Did you look for POI (Point of Interest) by Name? It happened to me too, I looked for Costco in my area, and it directed me to one 120 miles away. I think it's a bug in the navigation logic or the POI are not up to date. It works fine if you type in the destination address.
It's a problem with all stock Nav systems that I've used whenever searching by name. I typed in a national chain restaurant a few days ago, and the Nav wanted me to take a 1,200 mile road trip. It's just a logistical brain fart that they will eventually address.

As previously mentioned, finding POI's close to your current location works very well.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:04 PM
SindhiStyle

Originally Posted by 15951
It's a problem with all stock Nav systems that I've used whenever searching by name. I typed in a national chain restaurant a few days ago, and the Nav wanted me to take a 1,200 mile road trip. It's just a logistical brain fart that they will eventually address.

As previously mentioned, finding POI's close to your current location works very well.

This happens to me quite often, so instead I just text google with the place I am looking for plus the zipcode/city where I am. They text me back within seconds with the address and I just put the address in my navi instead. Doing a search by point of interest never finds the closest one of me.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 PM
squal17

theres an navi reprogram update..i just got it done..check my thread from wednesday
Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 PM
SindhiStyle

Originally Posted by squal17
theres an navi reprogram update..i just got it done..check my thread from wednesday
did they charge you for the reprogram? how old is your car?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 AM
zoner

I find my portable Garmin or Google maps on my phone to be generally more accurate. It's a shame because the in car unit is so better looking.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:15 AM
taskmaxter

Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
did they charge you for the reprogram? how old is your car?
+1 on this. Did they charge you?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Navi with XM Traffic. Do you guys find that it is providing by announcing the traffic alerts. Is Navi supposed to provide a recalculated route to by pass the Traffic on your route?

Does it provide Traffic alerts even if you do not have a route up or in the Map screen? The XM Weather (which I dropped) did offer weather alerts every time you started the car.?

Any info is much appreciated............BTW, a some newer TOM TOM GPS' [don't know about the Garmins], DO offer true traffic alerts and avoidance manuvers.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
I just had my radio unit replaced because it was cutting off and on. When I got the car back it looked as if I had my navigation software was a different version and I no longer have Navtraffic. Anybody ever expierence this? I think before I had the 06-07 version and now it says 07-08. What's funny though is the navi display looks worse than my old one.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
How much are the XM weather and/or Traffic packages???
Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
How much are the XM weather and/or Traffic packages???
They are NOT cheap... The Combo, if I recall, is about $24/Mo. no discount on quarterly or yearly payment. I took a $96 /YR payment for the XM Traffic only. I dropped it from the original and then added this month. They gave me a credit of $50 [ I think from my previous contract]. I tried for a beter deal, with a Supervisor, that's the best they would do. I have the Annual XM Sirius @$77/ year - prepaid for the year from October 2010-Oct 2011. Oh now that I think about it, they put my Traffic Plan that I just reinstituted back on the Oct to Oct basis , hence the credit.

Quick Reply: Navigation problems