Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Switching out the tweeters and mids......

Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Mixman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching out the tweeters and mids......

I see some have switched out the 3" door mounted mids and tweets on their G's. What did you switch them with and how was the fit?
Old 08-10-2009, 01:09 PM
619G-ride

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not many ppl have swapped out. what i have seen were the dynaudio set ups. ill be doin there 3 ways in the next few months. gl
Old 08-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Triple_X

Originally Posted by Mixman
I see some have switched out the 3" door mounted mids and tweets on their G's. What did you switch them with and how was the fit?
also interested in this for future reference
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Mixman

Well I have replaced the tweets already with a pair of JL C5650'S with crossover sold to me by a forum member. I was skeptical at first that there would be an improvement, but there was. The highs were both less shrill and there was added detail. Now I have the bug, but I do not want to go all out and replace the system like some have done. That would be too much time and money.

I do think that with a little help you can improve the sound without going too crazy. I would like to add a Focal 4" component set but that would probably involve some cutting to get that 4" into the area where the 3" is now. Not sure if the Focal tweeters will fit in the a-pillar either.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 PM
InfiniDrew

I'm looking at some Morel CDM-88 for the mids...but the Morel tweets are going to require me to fabricate a sail panel that I can mount the MT-23's onto (they come with their own directional enclosures if you want to mount them to a flat surface). This way, I can re-install the original sail panels & tweets whenever I trade-in the car way down the road.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Mixman

Well, I bought a couple of things to fill out the sound. I bought a CDT ES3 3" midrange. With some modifications to the speaker lip it will fit in the midrange area. I also got a used Focal TN-51 tweeter, which is a tweeter from the older Utopia line.

The CDT is a small improvement to the Bose 3" midrange in the doors. It has a little more top end and has a clearer sound overall. This is one of the few direct replacements that you will not have to modifiy your vehicle for it to fit.

The Focal Tweeter fits in the a pillar with modification. The Focal is a bright sound. Don't bother if you prefer a warm sounding soft dome tweeter. It does bring instruments into better focus and has better separation. On the negative side, it it has a dry detailed sound that lacks some air. I might try a few more tweeters to get that "perfect" top end. I check the car audio forums and see what's available used.

Overall, these components provided a decent improvement in top end and clarity to the Bose system, with only a small investment.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
redfoster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mid tweets

I'm switching out my door speakers for Hertz Mille MLK165 as well as removing the rear 6x9 for the same MLK165. In the trunk I'm fabbing a custom box for a pair of Hertz HX300 12" subs. I'm also removing the spare tire and doing a fibreglass install under a clear lexan sheet for the 2 amps. I have Audison's 5.1k and 2.1k amps to push the speakers and the signals are being fed from the Audison Bit-One to clean up the Bose sound.
Before anything goes in, 2 rolls of hushmat are going in too. When it's done I'll post pics. If you can find an Audison/Hertz dealer anywhere, go check out the sound!

I haven't filled out the profile yet, I'm driving a 2009 graphite G37S, no Nav.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Mixman

Sounds like a good build let me know when you finish and post pics too.

Also, where are you mounting your components and how ?
Old 10-26-2009, 04:50 AM
redfoster

I'm disconnecting the mid dash speaker and the door pillar tweets. In the doors the Hertz tweets are going by the handle where the old mids were. I'm pulling the 10" subs and fitting a custom ring to mount the 6" mids which sound soooo much better (and thump more). The MLK set is going in the rear replacing the 6x9's. A custom box will hold the subs and mount behind the rear seats with clips for easy removal (I want the trunk functional).
The spare tire has been removed, and being replaced with a custom fibre install. The amps are being mounted on steel plates raised on PVC pillars where the wire is being passed through. No wires will be visible from looking in the trunk and the amps are self lit from below. I'm hoping for a floating effect. A lexan sheet will cover the install with removable carpet. Not a hundred percent where the resting spot for the BitOne is yet.

The key on the sound should be both the quality of the components and I'm amplifying each individual channel/speaker, not just the ranges. OEM stereo companies like to impress with speaker count (this has 11 speakers!!!) rather than quality and staging. The Bose isn't the worst I've heard but I like better in a car that costs this much.

I'll post the finished and build pics as I get them.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Opies07G35

Red,

You got picks of your setup yet? I'm about to replace my whole system and would like to know what yours looks/sounds like.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Dieseldoug22

Check with Amplified Motorsports. They did a whole new install and it sounds incredible. All new speakers and amps.