Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

MP3 Players + G37

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:55 AM
mozy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calvin_hobbes
But can you operate the ZUNE via the controls on the navigation screen and steering like you can with an ipod?
Heh... no.

The iPod integration is just like it sounds, for iPods. They use a serial protocol to interact with the iPod. Your steering/nav wheel controls are translated by the iPod adapter behind the DIN and sent to your iPod connector in the arm rest storage box and finally to the iPod. Apple did a good thing by using TTL Serial to talk to "accessories" (such as your car) to let them communicate with the iPod.

I've been working on a device that simulates an iPod and talks to the car's iPod adapter. Got the hardware done (simple PC->USB->TTL Serial (3.3v)->Car) but all that's left is the software. The intent was to get this working with a car PC but I've been slacking on this project for a while.

Here's a video of some of the progress I've made:

http://qik.com/video/2393358

I just realized the quality is really bad. Sorry. Basically I'm showing my laptop, with the "converter" (prototype, looks like crap). Then I show some Python/PySerial code "talking" to the iPod adater. First you see that no iPod is connected, I fire up my code and it handshakes with the iPod adapter, telling it that "OH HAI! I'm a 3rd gen iPod (no Podcasts, etc). Hook me up and let me play some tunes for you. Oh here's a fake playlist and some songs. K Bai." Sorry about the lameness (blame 4chan?). That video was made like at midnight before i went to sleep thats why its so dark and dumb.

Now the problem with getting this converter to work with a Zune is... Microsoft. They decided to use USB to communicate with the Zune for the most part. This really makes it difficult as you have to reverse the USB protocol, then create a device that can speak the USB protocol and then talk TTL serial to iPod adapter. Imagine translating ancient Latin to Spanish then to English. It can be done, but it is not easy at all. Dunno why manufacturers haven't created such devices (there are many more iPod accessories out there than Zune ones and if they could get the iPod accesories to work with the Zune, that would be a huge seller for everyone). There is another way to control the Zune with the "accessory" protocol but I don't know if that transmits song info or if its just to stop/play/ff/rw. But none of that matters because nobody's reverse-engineered that accessory protocol. Nobody seems to be too interested in hacking the Zune protocols/hardware, unfortunately. There have been some projects but they died off and I've spent many a day looking for info around the web only to be disappointed.

But hey you could always trade your G for a Ford Focus...it has Sync! That will work with your Zune.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:15 PM
G37 Perfection

Mozy-

Have you made any progress on this?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Keng

Just ordered a Zune HD, can't wait to get it I am fine to start the music before I start driving.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:14 PM
mozy

Originally Posted by G37 Perfection
Mozy-

Have you made any progress on this?
Hey, not exactly. It has been pushed back simply because I just don't feel like putting in a carPC right now. I don't want crappy output on the screen I have now (component input sucks) and I don't want to add another screen. I was toying with getting access to the RGB signals on the display unit, but I'm not sure I want to get into that...

I'm going in a completely different direction now. I'm going to make my own "blackbox" MP3 player using a USB/MP3 development module. It should be here soon. It will allow me to interface to the car's iPod adapter via serial (3.3v TTL) and read/play MP3's off a USB flashmemory stick. I'm going to need a gateway device (probably microcontroller) to translate iPod adapter button presses and talk to tthe MP3 device. I'll keep people posted once I actually start working on it
Old 09-21-2009, 11:29 PM
InfiniDrew

Originally Posted by Keng
Just ordered a Zune HD, can't wait to get it I am fine to start the music before I start driving.

You will have to post how the Zune HD sounds!!! I'm looking to get one in a couple of months (hoping for a 64GB by then too).

I am tempted to get one with the AV dock. When you put it into the dock, it charges via USB, it has RCA output, and it is controllable with the remote control. Plus, I can use the included HDMI cable with my home theater system too.

I just hope that the RCA output is louder and cleaner sounding if it's coming through the dock (as opposed to the 3.5mm->RCA cable through the headphone output).

Plus, it will also charge via the USB cable that plugs into the cigarette-lighter-to-USB power adaptor that I currently use for my BB.

But the best part is, the IR sensor for the remote control looks like it is not in the dock itself. That means I have a few feet of wire to move it into a better position within the dash so that I can point the remote to the dash. Heck, it'd be better if I can integrate the remote into the dash after some fabrication...but that's much further down the road.

I just need to figure out how well I can fabricate something to make the dock fit somewhere nicely. I'm not sure how big it is or how much plastic I can trim off...it would be awesome if it fits into the ashtray somehow...but I doubt it. Otherwise, I might use the vehicle mounts from ProClipUSA.com. Their stuff is usually very sturdy.

Now I just wish I could display and control the Zune on the main screen...stupid ipods.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Keng

I would say it sounds a bit better than my Zune 120GB, so far I love it.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 PM
InfiniDrew

^ Awesome! Thanks for updating us. It seems to be getting good reviews on the web too!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:24 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Interesting thread, Id love to chat with Mozy about his findings but alas it seems he has gone inactive and his mailbox is full. Does anyone have a connection to him
Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 PM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Absinthe
Interesting thread, Id love to chat with Mozy about his findings but alas it seems he has gone inactive and his mailbox is full. Does anyone have a connection to him
No one has any connection to this user?
Old 09-21-2014, 02:09 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by absinthe
no one has any connection to this user?
aaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhh