Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Review KP Technologies NM20 Window Roll-up Module

Old 03-05-2009, 06:53 AM
dpjones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed it, along with 4 other of his modules, and they all work great. One thing I found out is that after each time you unplug the window switches, or disconnect the batter, you have to reprogram each window. If you don't, the auto-rollup feature that came with the car won't even work, and thus the module won't work. Check this to see if this is the case. Just roll down your windows, which will auto-down, and then try to use the auto-rollup feature. If it works, then ignore this and it may be your install, if not, try this:

For each window, roll down the window and continue to hold the switch for a good 10 seconds after it gets all the way down. Then roll it up and hold the switch up for a good 10 seconds after it gets all the way up. Sometimes I have to do this 2 times, but usually it works with just one. Again, I have to do this for each window (I have a sedan).

As far as the window goes, I just had my girlfriend hold onto it when I removed the 4 silver bolts. To be honest, it didn't seem like it was going to fall, but better safe than sorry.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Angry

UPDATE: After the module failed after working for months after the initial install, I presumed it must have been a poor installation job on my part although I was doubtful. I noticed that my battery seemed drained if I didn't drive the car every day, I even took it in to the dealership and had it checked. Battery was good. I figured that it must be the module as the only X factor so I removed it and everything was fine.

I went through the trouble of reinstalling it without using quick connects this time. This time I made solid connections on each wire and soldered them. I made certain to insulate them well with electrical tape. Well guess what? Same exact problem again! Several months down the road I notice the windows aren't rolling up and the auto lock isn't working. I ignored it and didn't worry about it because I didn't want to have to redo this install yet again. Now the battery drain is happening again. Betty is unconscious as we speak. And of course the driver side window is all the way down where I can't remove the connection behind it. I am going to remove this one way or another and send back to Kevin.

KP I am also sending you a PM regarding this as well, in case you miss this. Please help. If you have insight as to what the problem might be other than the module, please let me know.

Cliffs of the install:
  • Installed module on inner door panel in the exact same location as shown in your install thread on the KP forum
  • Spliced wires on the module to the exact same wires on window switch harness shown in install photos
  • Made SECURE connections on all wires with silver solder
  • Wrapped all spliced connections securely with electrical tape
  • Module works perfectly for months with no issues then stops working and battery drains when car is not driven daily
Old 07-28-2009, 06:11 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man that is a no go. maybe a solenoid is sticking which will keep current going or something. time for a new peice.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:12 PM
KPierson
Banned

That's a really odd problem and not something we have came across. I would need the module back to do some current draws on it - the thing that has me concerned though is how long you had it hooked up before it quit working - it could take some time to replicate the problem.

In a case like this it would be easiest for you to send yours back and we'll just replace it with a brand new unit.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by KPierson
That's a really odd problem and not something we have came across. I would need the module back to do some current draws on it - the thing that has me concerned though is how long you had it hooked up before it quit working - it could take some time to replicate the problem.

In a case like this it would be easiest for you to send yours back and we'll just replace it with a brand new unit.
Thaks for the quick reply. It's on its way back to you. I hope in testing you can get it to do what it's doing to my poor car.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:43 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where is the DIY
Old 07-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Where is the DIY
KP Technologies forum.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:22 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
What ever happened with this BB?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I took it out because it would work fine for a while then stop working. Same problem persisted after removing and reinstalling.

However, in retrospect I now wonder if the VCV problem that caused the battery to drain (my car was affected and had it corrected by performing the TSB) might have been the cause. That was probably the problem but i was unaware of it at the time. I sent it back to KP. It was cool to have but I didn't have a lot of use for it. I live in TX, I seldom have the windows down. And I'm security conscious so I never leave them down when exiting my car, even in my garage. The door auto lock was a nice function.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 PM
i3eezenotch

Hey, anyone know if it's possible to get the sunroof to close automatically like this? I ask because I made the mistake of leaving it open one night :P
Old 06-06-2012, 10:40 PM
i3eezenotch

PS- why is KP banned?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

He isn't really "banned". Vendors who chose to no longer sponsor the forum used to have the vendor name banned. Now they simply have the title of Former Sponsor applied. He didn't do anything wrong.