Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Review KP Technologies NM20 Window Roll-up Module

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Skyline-LEXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didnt work... sigh.. do you need KP to do this?
Old 02-13-2009, 02:08 AM
gan78mao

damn shoulda took pics BB!!! i want to see how easy the install is!!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:40 AM
AndrewDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gan78mao
damn shoulda took pics BB!!! i want to see how easy the install is!!
It's really not that hard, trust me. Kevin had my door panel off and all the wires exposed in about 10 minutes. And that was taking his time!

Once the weather warms up a little bit, I'm going to have Kevin do some custom work for me (if he's still interested) and maybe install his sunroof/moonroof module as well (still undecided on whether or not I want it). I'll try to take as many pictures as I can while he's working so hopefully these installs will get easier for everyone.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
No. I've never had a need to. However, I was taking note of things for my audio install (appears to have good depth for midbass drivers in the door) and I noticed that the inner panel seems to not only be bolted to the frame but also have a huge rivet holding it in place. It ain't coming off easily.
Yeah, those rivets are actually holding onto the window frame. I think the whole window has to be unbolted and taken out (through the top) and then the panel will come out with the window frame/guides and all. That means reinstallling everything including aligning the window again.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Skyline-LEXY

Another feature that I didn't yet test out is the automatic door locking which can be enabled or disabled on Nissan/Infiniti cars with no other modules required. To enable it, turn the ignition on and within approximately six seconds push the lock button three times. The next time you turn the ignition on the doors should lock after 6 seconds. To disable this feature, turn the ignition on and wait for the doors to lock. After they lock you have approximately 6 seconds to push the lock button three times. The next time you turn the ignition on the doors should not lock. I'll find out tomorrow.
Has anyone else try this?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:37 PM
KPierson
Banned

I just tested it out and mine works. Here's the thing though: After you program it to auto lock, it seems you must open the door after shutting off the engine to reset it to auto lock again. In other words, if you shut of the car and restart it without having opened the door, it doesn't auto lock (at least mine didn't). Each time I shut off the car and opened/closed the door befrore starting it again, it worked just fine.
That is a good observation and 100% correct. It is also the reason why the module will NOT auto unlock the doors. The only switched ignition signal in the door is a RAP signal (retained accessory power). That means it stays "ON" until the door is open. If you shut the car off and do not open the door then turn the igniton back on the RAP signal will never change - it will just stay constant 12vdc. Therefore, the module will never "see" that the ignition was turned off then back on. Because of this, we can't "sense" exactly when the ignition is turned off and therefore can not reliably unlock the doors.

The easiest way to turn on the feature is to do it with the door open - this effectively defeats the RAP signal and makes sure the RAP signal isn't staying on while trying to program. Also, make sure you are using the INTERIOR door lock switch, NOT the keyfob. Push the "LOCK" button pretty quickly, leaving about .5-1 second in between pulses.

Keep in mind that the auto door locking feature is very primitive and doesn't reference the door pin or anything like that - it is very easy to lock your keys in the car if you arn't careful (since the system is completely time based). For a full featured door locking solution check out the KPtechnologies DL20 (it can even be setup to lock at preset speeds with the optional speed switch).

If anyone has any questions let me know. And Andrew I'll see you this Spring!
Old 02-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
For some reason mine will not work now at all - window roll up or door locking. Pissed.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:32 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thats not good glad i held off buying this
Old 02-28-2009, 03:58 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey black betty. how thick are the wires in the door? are they pretty thin or what. Im trying to see if they are about the same size as the wires behind the NAvi so i can just your the quick connect things you bought instead of soldering for my NI35
Old 02-28-2009, 03:59 PM
jnguyen

For some reason mine will not work now at all - window roll up or door locking. Pissed.
maybe quick connects got loose?
Old 02-28-2009, 04:19 PM
AndrewDDS

Mine's worked perfectly since day-1 when Kevin installed it. But if yours isn't working, Kevin will definitely do what's needed to solve the problem. Make sure you're not double-clicking the door lock button too quickly. Sometimes I do it too fast and it doesn't work. You almost have to press it, then wait a split second, then press it again.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:51 PM
KPierson
Banned

Definately check your connections - there is a reason we recomend soldering all wires. With the moisture and vibration inside the door soldering is the only way to have a reliable connection that will last as long as the car.

The wire size inside the door varies from wire to wire (another reason not to use wire taps). The power wire is thick (16awg or so), the door lock actuator, RAP signal, and ground wire are about the same size as the KPtech wires (20awg), and the door lock cylinder wire is smaller then the KPtech wires (24awg or so). It's the door lock cylinder wire that typically fails when using the quick connects.

If that doesn't fix it send it back to us and we'll evaluate it and fix it if necesarry.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

To clarify, I'm 99% sure that the problem is my install and not the product itself. I shouldn't have been lazy and used quick connects, I know that soldering/heat shrinking is a much better installation process (tells you to do it in the instructions) but went for a quickie install and now have to do it again. I'll report back when I get it fixed.

DO NOT miss out on the product because of my bad install; it works. I just failed at putting it in properly. It's no poor reflection on KP Technologies products at all. It's just another shining example of an idiot (me!) failing to follow explicit directions and suffering the consequences.

Since I have to go back in and redo it, I'll try to remember to get pictures this time for a DIY.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Graham
Premier Member

I'm going to have to do that automatic lock thing when I get down to my car after work.

Are you actually starting the car and then doing the lock button sequence or is it just in the on position?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Graham
I'm going to have to do that automatic lock thing when I get down to my car after work.

Are you actually starting the car and then doing the lock button sequence or is it just in the on position?
To program it to auto lock, you must start the car and press the lock button 3 times within 6 seconds. There is no "on/off" switch for auto locking.

Quick Reply: Review KP Technologies NM20 Window Roll-up Module