Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Review KP Technologies NM20 Window Roll-up Module

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Post KP Technologies NM20 Window Roll-up Module

I got this installed today after having it sitting around for months. The installation was much easier than I'd imagined. It works exactly as advertised.

Install: I deviated a bit from the install instructions. Instead of using solder or twisting wires together and taping them with electrical tape, I opted for a clean install using wire tap connectors. No cutting or soldering required at all. I simply used the tap connectors to attach the appropriate wires on the module to the appropriate wires on the power window harness. After clipping them closed I did tape them really well with electrical tape to insure they didn't come loose and that was it. Removing/replacing the door panel on this car is very, very easy. Total install time was less than 1 hour, maybe 40 minutes.

Results: It works like it's supposed to work. With this module installed, you can roll both windows up from outside the car by simply pressing the lock button on our remote twice in succession quickly. Another feature that I didn't yet test out is the automatic door locking which can be enabled or disabled on Nissan/Infiniti cars with no other modules required. To enable it, turn the ignition on and within approximately six seconds push the lock button three times. The next time you turn the ignition on the doors should lock after 6 seconds. To disable this feature, turn the ignition on and wait for the doors to lock. After they lock you have approximately 6 seconds to push the lock button three times. The next time you turn the ignition on the doors should not lock. I'll find out tomorrow.

Sorry, I didn't think to get photos while installing.

I like it.

Last edited by Black Betty; 02-12-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:58 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow nice stuff. i should get this to do the window roll up thing. i dont get why it wasnt a factory thing already. would the wire tap connector work the same for the NI35 navigation ok interface thing to? i would love to do the wire tap connecter instead of solder or splice into the factory head unit wires.

great review bb
Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by jnguyen
wow nice stuff. i should get this to do the window roll up thing. i dont get why it wasnt a factory thing already.
Because Infiniti was too cheap to pay Kevin $50 to put one in every Infiniti built?

I'm sure he'd have given them a group buy price.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i think u should open up ur door and take a pic of how u connected everything together...this will probably help the next person who is installing this unit...
Old 02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
elite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice dude! I need that.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
nice blackbetty.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you have to get inside the inner metal door panel or just the interior trim door panel?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by gtracing
i think u should open up ur door and take a pic of how u connected everything together...this will probably help the next person who is installing this unit...
I regret not getting pictures as I progressed with each step; I just didn't think about it at the time. It's all neatly taped back up with electrical tape now so the only way you'd be able to see what the connections are like is for me to undo the install and then take pictures as I reinstall it. Ain't gonna happen. But trust me that it is very easy.

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
Did you have to get inside the inner metal door panel or just the interior trim door panel?
Yes, to attach 1 wire (the blue one). You don't remove the panel, you disconnect the quick connect for the Bose "woofer" (I use theat term loosely), and remove it. Then you run the wire through one of the black covers by poking a tiny hole through it and connect the wire to one that runs behind the woofer. It's much easer than it sounds.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Yes, to attach 1 wire (the blue one). You don't remove the panel, you disconnect the quick connect for the Bose "woofer" (I use theat term loosely), and remove it. Then you run the wire through one of the black covers by poking a tiny hole through it and connect the wire to one that runs behind the woofer. It's much easer than it sounds.
So you didn't take that inner panel off then. Have you ever tried?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:53 PM
fireboy

ok well to be honest i have never looked into this thing. what else can it do. besides the door locking and the windows...
Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 PM
AndrewDDS

Kevin installed my NM20 for me in his garage. I'm pretty sure he took some pictures of the wiring while he was doing it, so they're probably posted on his website. If you guys have any questions about what the modules do, go to www.kptechnologies.com and check it out. His work is top notch, and he's a great guy!!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
So you didn't take that inner panel off then. Have you ever tried?
No. I've never had a need to. However, I was taking note of things for my audio install (appears to have good depth for midbass drivers in the door) and I noticed that the inner panel seems to not only be bolted to the frame but also have a huge rivet holding it in place. It ain't coming off easily.

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
Kevin installed my NM20 for me in his garage. I'm pretty sure he took some pictures of the wiring while he was doing it, so they're probably posted on his website. If you guys have any questions about what the modules do, go to www.kptechnologies.com and check it out. His work is top notch, and he's a great guy!!
There is a great DIY writeup that I used here. I simply used the scotch lock connectors where he spliced and taped is all.

Kevin is a great guy, never met him in person but have corresponded and had business dealings with him. The photos are of the install he did in your car.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:22 AM
Skyline-LEXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Another feature that I didn't yet test out is the automatic door locking which can be enabled or disabled on Nissan/Infiniti cars with no other modules required. To enable it, turn the ignition on and within approximately six seconds push the lock button three times. The next time you turn the ignition on the doors should lock after 6 seconds. To disable this feature, turn the ignition on and wait for the doors to lock. After they lock you have approximately 6 seconds to push the lock button three times. The next time you turn the ignition on the doors should not lock. I'll find out tomorrow.
I tried couple times but it doesnt work Maybe I am doing it wrong.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Skyline-LEXY
I tried couple times but it doesnt work Maybe I am doing it wrong.
I just tested it out and mine works. Here's the thing though: After you program it to auto lock, it seems you must open the door after shutting off the engine to reset it to auto lock again. In other words, if you shut of the car and restart it without having opened the door, it doesn't auto lock (at least mine didn't). Each time I shut off the car and opened/closed the door befrore starting it again, it worked just fine.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 AM
Skyline-LEXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Thanks BB I will try again

Quick Reply: Review KP Technologies NM20 Window Roll-up Module