Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Replacement for oem bose sub?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 AM
aznutx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock car systems : my first car/truck [99 dodge ram], i blew out all the speakers, and kept it that way, it was grand, glad i got a new car a year so after and then found out about the whole car audio scene.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:34 PM
cholepuree

When adding 2 subs to the trunk, do most people remove the spare thereby creating more trunk space?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cholepuree
When adding 2 subs to the trunk, do most people remove the spare thereby creating more trunk space?
no....people usually just put a box in the trunk over the spare....if you want more space, then you can remove the spare, but then u'd have to fibreglass the wheel well to make an enclosure for the sub...there's lots of ways of doing it...

personally, if i HAD to put a sub in the car, it would be in a sub box in the trunk....with the spare tire removed...this would help reduce weight
Old 01-18-2009, 05:14 PM
romyo247

why is it necessary for ALL of your stock trunk space..the 4080 box or the zenclosure are pretty good with taking little space up.

here is another option though.. https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...-in-a-g37.html
Old 01-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with gtracing, the stock sound system is crap. I expected a lot more from a $40,000 car.

My question is why? Is it weak speakers or is it a poor signal as well. If it is just weak speakers I can fix that with some money and a little work. If it is a poor signal then the term "screwed" comes to mind. The system (audio system and nav) is so integrated that I don't want to mess with the head unit.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 PM
gtracing

i don't think it has to do with the head unit...but more with the factory bose amp and the bose subs....the mids and tweeters are fine....just not enough bass....
Old 01-19-2009, 07:40 PM
goredcar
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
You will never get decent bass from the door "subs".

I was not willing to compromise my already non existent trunk. I went with a stealth install for the amp (by the jack) and a side pocket sub. I am running a 10" Alpine type R and a Pioneer Ice 600w RMS amp.

I got my install idea from:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...all-redux.html

I did not put in the fan and have had no issues so far.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

as far as i know, there is no aftermarket 10 inch sub with the same depth as the bose OEM. Even the pioneer flat subs won't fit without an adapter plate. I know, we tried it

That being said, even if there was a sub that will fit, the cubic feet needed to get a decent bass will be almost impossible if you decide to do that on the doors

My recommendation:

If you want decent bass and make it stock looking, Find an audio expert around your area, have them remove the 6x9's on the rear deck and tell them you want 3, 8 inch subs, free air set up firing down to your trunk on the rear deck, if tuned right, it will sound awesome. Unless you want to drive to cali for a week, we can do that for you.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lou@Amplified
as far as i know, there is no aftermarket 10 inch sub with the same depth as the bose OEM. Even the pioneer flat subs won't fit without an adapter plate. I know, we tried it

That being said, even if there was a sub that will fit, the cubic feet needed to get a decent bass will be almost impossible if you decide to do that on the doors

My recommendation:

If you want decent bass and make it stock looking, Find an audio expert around your area, have them remove the 6x9's on the rear deck and tell them you want 3, 8 inch subs, free air set up firing down to your trunk on the rear deck, if tuned right, it will sound awesome. Unless you want to drive to cali for a week, we can do that for you.

i need to drive to cali.... damnit
Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 PM
gtracing

i'm still thinking about the 4080 box....but i like the install where the amp is hidden...i hate showing off my gear, i like factory looks
Old 01-20-2009, 12:54 AM
goredcar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gtracing
i'm still thinking about the 4080 box....but i like the install where the amp is hidden...i hate showing off my gear, i like factory looks
It doesn't usually get too hot in Vancouver so you should be fine with the stealth amp install. The 4080 box is great... fit is perfect and the sound is great. I am very happy with the install... shoot me a PM if you want pics
Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 AM
gtracing

Originally Posted by goredcar
It doesn't usually get too hot in Vancouver so you should be fine with the stealth amp install. The 4080 box is great... fit is perfect and the sound is great. I am very happy with the install... shoot me a PM if you want pics
where u get it installed?? and where u get ur box?? a&B? jb? i use to live in edmonton..hhaha and actually, it gets pretty damn hot during mid summer here...
Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
4080 enclosure and amp mounted under the trunk floor like finagle69. I've got the gear to do it but it's one of the many projects on my car I haven't gotten around to yet. You could also replace the front components and get better sound and midbass by replacing the stock 10" door "woofers" with some good 8" subwoofers or midbass drivers.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:16 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
You could also replace the front components and get better sound and midbass by replacing the stock 10" door "woofers" with some good 8" subwoofers or midbass drivers.
I like the way you think.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:42 AM
goredcar
Registered Member

where u get it installed?? and where u get ur box?? a&B? jb? i use to live in edmonton..hhaha and actually, it gets pretty damn hot during mid summer here...
I did the install myself... got the box here http://www.4080enclosures.com/shop40...p?idProduct=11 ...I had to ditch one of the trunk floor mats... don't know why they had 2 anyway. I haven't driven in summer with this set up yet so I don't know for sure how it will be... but worst case will be that the sub amp will cut out when it gets really hot and I will have to put up with the stock system till the amp cools down.

You guys do get the odd hot day on the coast, but typically it is hotter inland Love Vancouver... just can't take the rain.