Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Will Bose system fit in non-Bose car

Old 08-22-2015, 09:51 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a '10 base and want to know if I purchase a Bose system amp, sub, speakers, will they fit, and is a base car wired for sub. I do not see a faq or sticky on the subject. Please help and tia.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:51 PM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would not upgrade to the Bose w/Navi setup. If you want better sound, get a new head unit, component speakers for the front, and a nice sub in the trunk. As those of us who have the Bose w/Navi setup know, it limits us in our aftermarket options. It is nearly impossible to replace the head unit since it integrates so many essential functions. Although some add another head unit by doing some other modifications to accomplish their goal.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:17 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeG37
I would not upgrade to the Bose w/Navi setup. If you want better sound, get a new head unit, component speakers for the front, and a nice sub in the trunk. As those of us who have the Bose w/Navi setup know, it limits us in our aftermarket options. It is nearly impossible to replace the head unit since it integrates so many essential functions. Although some add another head unit by doing some other modifications to accomplish their goal.
+1. Going aftermarket will get you way better results than the Bose system in our cars which is a fairly average system.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:46 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Used is cheap. Better than base OE. Do any of you know if it will plug and play?
Old 08-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Could he just tap the audio signal of the original head unit and feed it into a multi channel amp that could power aftermarket speakers and sub?
Old 08-23-2015, 11:56 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Sad thing is that there isn't any write up on good systems. I am spoiled by the BMW forums. And a bit lazy when it come to electronics.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by m3clubracer
Sad thing is that there isn't any write up on good systems. I am spoiled by the BMW forums. And a bit lazy when it come to electronics.

I don't think this is true

I have a write up on my Nexus 7 and Bit ten D install. I have also posted the entire wiring diagram for the car. I have a post about drilling through the molex to run new speaker wire.

Another user has a Rockford 360.3 and a Zed amp with a sub mounted on the rear deck.

There is a huge post about installing a Nexus 7 in the dash with all the needed parts.

As far as head unit swapping goes, there is only one option from Metra and it's very ugly.

The only difference I notice in sound quality from Base audio to Bose was a little bit of bass. Tweeters sounded about the same.

I think you should look into a sub instead of swapping out for bose
Old 08-24-2015, 09:00 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

I searched for Nexus 7 and your name never came up as a thread starter. Can you send me the link to these. I almost tried this in my TL but sold it. I was very interested in using it but need to know more about what I am loosing/gaining.

I was only going to be the front subs and maybe rears. The sub I was going to get an aftermarket and amp but, as before, I'm lazy. I went that route in my 540 and PITA! Do you know if the base cars have the wiring for Bose sub?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2015, 10:51 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Anyone, Bueler?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:45 AM
blazeplacid

The base model audio does not have the wiring for the bose sub

You might run into an issue with the impedance of the bose speakers also.
The bose speakers are usually 2 ohm or even 1 ohm.
The base audio set up is designed for 4 ohm speakers.
I'm not sure if the factory radio can run a 2 ohm load.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:01 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Well this is what I needed to know. Thanks! Does anyone know what ohms the base system has? I know the Bose is 2 ohm.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:58 PM
blazeplacid

The base audio mids are 4 ohm clarion speakers.
Not sure on the tweeter brand but they are 4 ohm also
Old 08-28-2015, 02:13 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

I'm not electrically inclined at all. Can the base system handle the 10" 2ohm Bose speakers with some kind of capacitor or something between speaker and the head unit?
Old 08-29-2015, 12:46 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 232 Likes on 194 Posts
Anything is possible given enough time and money.

While the Bose is decent factory setup, I'm not sure it would be worth the time and money to retrofit a non-Bose car with a Bose Studio on Wheels setup. My advice would be to take advantage of the simplicity of your current setup and upgrade using aftermarket components.

You could add a nice amp off the high level inputs with separate mids and tweets up front and maybe a powered sub in the back and this would sound quite a bit better than the factory Bose setup. Maybe leave the rear factory speakers for fill?
Old 08-29-2015, 07:45 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Unfortunately this is my only option. Just wish there was another 10" door option. Is there a 6x9?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will Bose system fit in non-Bose car