Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

wat can we replace our stock 10" with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can replace the stock sub on the rear shelf with an aftermarket and wire it with a seperate amp. You can use the inputs from the old sub using the wiring diagrams, although I think you'll want to run a new power wire, but you can use the RCA inputs. This has been done a lot in the Mazda world which also has stock Blose systems.

If you want to use the stock location in the shelf you want to find a suitable sub for IB - infinite baffle. Image Dynamics, JBL GTO, elemental designs. those are a few. I plan to do this eventually myself.

Here's a link to the mazdaspeed forums where they have done this, although I believe the G cutout is bigger so you can go larger than an 8" like in the mazda. just gives you a general idea of what is possible.

Bose subwoofer replacement - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
chicago_animal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna jump on this thread even though it's 7 months since last post:

I have 2012 G37xs and was looking to add a sub and get an amp to power the Sub and add more power to the door speakers. Now I'm wondering if I should just get new door speakers since that's also considered the sub part. Any thoughts?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM
G37Avi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chicago_animal
I'm gonna jump on this thread even though it's 7 months since last post:

I have 2012 G37xs and was looking to add a sub and get an amp to power the Sub and add more power to the door speakers. Now I'm wondering if I should just get new door speakers since that's also considered the sub part. Any thoughts?
I have the same set-up that you do. I didnt touch the door speakers... i think they are sufficient. I have gone the route of replacing all of the door speakers, running new wire, and amping everything in the past. I think the door speakers in our car, with the bose system, are pretty good. I did, however, just finish replacing the factory subwoofer, located in the rear shelf.

Fairly simple install, if you have some experience. I used a 10" Boston Acoustics, which sat in the rear shelf perfectly. Of course, the subwoofer is pretty deep, so it protrudes down into the trunk a little bit, but not too bad. I just made a nice clean cut on the trim piece on the top of the inside of the trunk. I mounted the amp to the back of the rear seats. Getting the signal from the factory bose amp was very simple using some wire taps. You can find the correct pin-out's by doing a simple search in the A/V forum.

As a side note... I took a fellow members suggestion and reversed the polarity of the subwoofer, and it hits much cleaner.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Unfortunately with Bose, you can't just swap out speakers. They don't play nice with others. You'd have to swap out the amplifiers too Nam. However, if you want to stay stock, you could swap out the Bose amps in the trunk and replace them with some small ones and then you could swap out the speakers too. Alpine PDX amps will fit nicely in the exact same spot where the Bose amps are currently located.
Black Betty I've the non-Bose Speakers in my Sedan, can I replace the speakers without having to do anything else as in replacing the amps.

I'm looking for a louder & clearer sound without having to add any extra audio component in my Non-Bose G37X? any advise will be appreciated.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:15 AM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 10-12-2012, 04:01 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
I dont understand why people would want to put 10" subs in the doors.

Use 6.5" or similar in the doors. You will be missing mid range and some of the upper frequencies if you do a 10" sub in your door. The factory sub is barley a sub.

Find a decent amp or amps to power your set up. Run new wire from the amps to your new door speakers. Yes it takes more time, but it simplifies a lot of the wiring headaches associated with Bose.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I dunno why everybody calls these 10s. They are closer to 11s. They look like no other speaker you've seen The magnet is in the front. I built adapters and replaced them with 10s. To go to 12s you'd have to cut sheet metal on the rear deck (due to the brake light and possibly the window) and mount them about 2 inches raised from the door. I used another amp. Good luck!