Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Anyone have a rear diff subframe bushing puller?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 07:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Anyone have a rear diff subframe bushing puller?

So I ordered front and rear diff bushings from Z1 and we took the rear diff out to install the bushings only to realize we need a special tool to get the bushing out of the rear subframe. Does anyone have this tool that I could pay to ship to me and then ship back to you? Or is there some other way to get this bushing out? I really wish Z1 would have told me I needed a special tool for this part...
The following users liked this post:
ogb (01-24-2021)
Old 03-09-2017, 02:25 AM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah you need a special tool and Im not sure you will find one. SpecialtyZ did mine and they had a it fabricated for this exact purpose. It is pretty ****ty that they dont at least warn you about that little fact. Was it not in the instructions? (or did they not include any?).
Old 03-09-2017, 07:10 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I think most people drill out enough material to work a reciprocating saw in and cut them out.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-bushings.html

Seems like a lot of work. I paid $600 to have mine done
Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Yeah, If you can burn or cut enough of the old bush out a hacksaw can be used on the metal sleeve. Just have to be careful and make sure not to cut past the sleeve and into the subframe. Its a PITA, but easily worth it if you have the skills/means.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:12 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Like I posted in your other thread about this ....

..... a lot of the chain store auto parts places will loan out specialty tools ...... just saying...
Old 03-09-2017, 01:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks for your help everyone. I think I have the removal figured out. Is installing the new bushing fairly straight forward?
Old 03-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
According to the DIY thread I linked, the bushing removal tool won't work on the G.

Also of note in that thread, is the orientation of the bushing can effect the sound. There are 2 ways to assemble it.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:06 AM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I believe the same tool SpecialtyZ used to press my old one out was used to install the new one. Cost me about $500 to have the shop do it.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:59 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Loaner Tools

Are you looking for the bushing tool set like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky0wVGO5Tzc.

Autozone and Harbor Freight sells these sets. Some auto stores have them to loan out.

Post some pics of the install too when you have a chance.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
According to the DIY thread I linked, the bushing removal tool won't work on the G.

Also of note in that thread, is the orientation of the bushing can effect the sound. There are 2 ways to assemble it.
From that thread it looks like I should not need any specialty tools to install the new subframe bushing. Looks like the new bushing presses in and then you press in the metal insert.

Originally Posted by Bravo at
Are you looking for the bushing tool set like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky0wVGO5Tzc.

Autozone and Harbor Freight sells these sets. Some auto stores have them to loan out.

Post some pics of the install too when you have a chance.
I wonder if those sets would work as there is not a lot of room on the back of the subframe and I believe that is the side you install the new bushing. We have Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly, and NAPA here. Do you know which stores have the bushing tools or if I even need them?
Old 03-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I wonder if those sets would work as there is not a lot of room on the back of the subframe and I believe that is the side you install the new bushing. We have Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly, and NAPA here. Do you know which stores have the bushing tools or if I even need them?
You're right on the sedan there's very little room to work (almost all the DIYs show the coupe/350z/370z which have more room to work on the diff bushing)...

you still dont need a specialty tool to install it, just get some 5/16 allthread from home depot, a couple of nuts and some washers or a piece of metal (it just has to be bigger than the hole in the subframe).

Assemble from front to back on the allthread: nut, metal/washers, bushing, nut (bushing and 2nd nut inserted from behind the subframe). crank on the 2 nuts with a couple of sockets and it will all come together in seconds.

Two important tips regardless of tool used to make this job easier:

1. make sure you keep the threaded rod part of the tool doused in lubricant (old motor/gear oil is fine) this process generates tons of heat

and

B. freeze the bushing over night (a few hours isn't enough, i froze mine for a week)and put it in as soon as you take it out of the freezer
Old 03-12-2017, 10:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips! So I am really going to need to get or make a bushing tool to install this? Guess I will check a few auto parts stores.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Thanks for the tips! So I am really going to need to get or make a bushing tool to install this? Guess I will check a few auto parts stores.
Normally the specialty tools you can buy are useful if you are going to use it to press the bushing out too (the cup part of the tool is needed for this), but they are more designed for bench work than on car work...on the sedan there's not enough room to mount the tool at the rear of the sub-frame anyways and the drill/sawzall method is so fast and easy I wouldn't recommend the store bought tool for bushing removal...again just my opinion...oh and making the tool is just screwing the pieces together by hand (mostly, you may have to drill a single hole if you cant find the right washers)